Gransnet forums

AIBU

Brooklyn Becham's wedding

(167 Posts)
Vintagejazz Mon 11-Apr-22 20:33:44

Apparently it cost 3 million pounds.

AIBU to n think that is a crazy amount to spend on a wedding, no matter how rich you are?

Blossoming Mon 11-Apr-22 20:47:14

Yes, it is crazy but it’s their money, they can spend it how they want.

Dickens Mon 11-Apr-22 20:57:08

Beckham has, apparently, a net worth of around $670 as of 2021 (can't be bothered to look at the ER). £8 million will make a small dent.

He's got contracts with various 'high end' manufacturers (or did have) like Tudor watches and Haig Club Whisky, which are probably quite lucrative, so he's not going to run short...

David did not inherit his wealth. He and his wife made it through sport and entertainment which we, the public, endorse) - and their own business ventures. If they pay their due taxes, I'm not going to condemn them, or how they spend their money.

It's a different world they live in though, that's for sure...

sodapop Mon 11-Apr-22 20:58:59

It is their money of course and I expect they do their bit for charity. However I can't help feeling such a vulgar display is a bit crass at this point in time.

Dickens Mon 11-Apr-22 20:59:14

... I literally DO need to go to Specsavers.

My current specs definitely read £8 million, not £3million smile

lemsip Mon 11-Apr-22 21:02:21

The Nicola Peltz parents paid for the wedding, they are billionaires

sodapop Mon 11-Apr-22 21:22:58

lemsip

Doesn't really change anything for me lemsip I think it was an unnecessarily ostentatious display.

Ilovecheese Mon 11-Apr-22 21:28:47

Parents pay for daughter's wedding shocker

Coastpath Mon 11-Apr-22 21:29:36

I'm an introverted grumpy old nanny goat who hates having to make small talk or get dressed up to the nines. When I looked at the photos of the preparations for the pre-wedding rehearsal dinner (!?!?) I thought, 'I am so glad I'm not going to that and having to sit between Gordon Ramsey and a Victoria's Secret model.'

To be clear, I wasn't invited and I hope they all had a superb time. Long life and happiness to the young couple.

M0nica Mon 11-Apr-22 21:52:42

Look at all the bling and the talk of the cost, and the way the groom's parents, I gather bought him some humingously expensive car. I am left wondering exactly how Brooklyn earns his living.

I read that he started to train as a photographer and gave that up and is dabbling in something else, but presumably mostly he just lives off his parents. He is clearly used to, and expects a lifestyle that he cannot possibly afford to pay for himself.

His wife seems to be no better, her parents are even richer and she is an actor/model, again that won't bring in much.

I do not know why but I cannot help feeling almost contemptuous of AC who are quite happy to live a life of sponging off their family because, at the end of the day, it is easier than earning a living.

Galaxy Mon 11-Apr-22 21:52:43

I share your grumpiness coastpath, it would have been my worst nightmare. It went on for days. I could just about smile sweetly for a cpuple of hours but thats my limit.

lemsip Mon 11-Apr-22 22:03:15

sodapop

lemsip

Doesn't really change anything for me lemsip I think it was an unnecessarily ostentatious display.

well, nor for me of course.... you didn't have to 'think' it was an ostentatious display because that was blatently what it was!!

aonk Mon 11-Apr-22 22:10:05

Yes it does appear ostentatious and unnecessary to spend that amount of money. This wedding however like other expenditure by wealthy people provides employment for the less well off. This aspect seems to be forgotten in the many recent posts about how much money some people have.

merlotgran Mon 11-Apr-22 22:13:05

I read that Brooklyn is an aspiring chef!

So that’s why Gordon Ramsay was invited. ?

Dickens Mon 11-Apr-22 22:37:16

This wedding however like other expenditure by wealthy people provides employment for the less well off. This aspect seems to be forgotten in the many recent posts about how much money some people have.

... I just wish the wealthy who own big businesses which cater for the even wealthier would pay wages that allow the less well off to live a more equitable life.

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 11-Apr-22 22:41:06

Sadly, he is very young and the bride is a few years older - it won’t last. How can it?

Kate1949 Mon 11-Apr-22 22:46:24

Neither family has paid. They've given an exclusive to Vogue. That will cover it.

BlueBelle Mon 11-Apr-22 22:47:19

Makes me totally sick when babies are dying of hunger in Yemen and other countries

Coastpath Mon 11-Apr-22 22:47:49

Sadly, he is very young and the bride is a few years older - it won’t last. How can it?

The bride and groom are 27 and 23 respectively.

Posh and Becks were 25 and 24 when they married and have been married 23 years.

Coastpath Mon 11-Apr-22 22:53:56

Makes me totally sick when babies are dying of hunger in Yemen and other countries

* Among his many philanthropic interests, soccer superstar David Beckham is a founding member of the Malaria No More UK Leadership Council, and a supporter of Help for Heroes, a charity aimed at helping injured service personnel returning from Iraq and Afghanistan.

His own charity, the Victoria and David Beckham Charitable Trust, provides wheelchairs to children in need, and his focus on helping children has led to his appointment as a Unicef Ambassador.

In this role for the international charity, Beckham’s focal point is Unicef’s Unite Against AIDS Campaign. He traveled to Sierra Leone in January, 2007 with the organization"
iMDb.

trisher Mon 11-Apr-22 23:00:21

Can't help it got to contrast Beckham and his lifestyle with Newcastle footballer Alan Shearer, a man who played the game better, has his feet firmly rooted in his home town, and has raised money for and supported many charities.
I feel a bit sorry for Posh & Becks kids. Their values must be so skewed.

Elizabeth27 Mon 11-Apr-22 23:02:05

It is a very small percentage of their money, it's all relative.

I would think many businesses benefitted from this.

maddyone Mon 11-Apr-22 23:28:00

It just seems rather vulgar to me, especially since the events in Ukraine are so sickening. I know life can’t stop because of Ukraine but………..

MawtheMerrier Mon 11-Apr-22 23:32:42

Ladyleftfieldlover

DH and I were 22 when we married in 1970 and straight out of university.
We “lasted” until his death 4 years ago.
Who’s to say whether the longevity of a marriage has more or less to do with age than commitment?

Chestnut Mon 11-Apr-22 23:43:00

merlotgran

I read that Brooklyn is an aspiring chef!

So that’s why Gordon Ramsay was invited. ?

I read that he struggled to make a cheese sandwich. He's a very average young man in looks and intelligence and has far too much far too young. I admire Paul McCartney who brought his children up to a normal life with none of the trappings of wealth and fame. It's a challenge for wealthy people to bring up their children with any kind of work ethic when they know mum and dad have millions. Living in poverty is often the key to success in life as it drives people to achieve great things.