Gransnet forums

AIBU

to feel sad that the Queen looks so frail.

(328 Posts)
snowberryZ Thu 14-Apr-22 15:13:19

Its popped up on my newsfeed that the Queen will be missing another royal engagement. There were also pictures of her looking even more frail still. Yes I know it's understandable at her age.
And it struck me that even though I'm a a bit of a republican, I am going to really miss her when she's no longer here. I get the 'feeling' that all is not as well as we're being led to believe.
The Queen has been a big constant in all our lives for so long, that I think you'd have to be a hard hearted person not to feel saddened when she's no longer here.
She's done such a good job.

Chocgran Fri 27-May-22 20:03:53

No, sorry but it has never crossed my mind. I don't know the woman and she has not been "a constant" in my life any more than say, David Attenborough, whom I greatly admire. There are people I will miss when they die but HM is not one of them, although her family and friends will, naturally.....

Grandma70s Wed 27-Apr-22 15:11:50

Callistemon21

Ninanana

I doubt she would have reached her great age if she'd had to queue in the cold and rain to collect her meagre pension. She has had the best of everything since the day she was born and this will continue until she dies.

Her father died at 56
Her sister at 71
Her mother at 101

Her father was a very heavy smoker, as was her sister. Their deaths were at least partly because of their lifestyles rather than their genetics,

Bridgeit Sat 23-Apr-22 20:29:39

My mother & many of her generation didn’t pay stamps, I am very glad that I did.

maddyone Sat 23-Apr-22 09:47:09

I shouldn’t imagine the Queen claims her pension. I’m not even sure she’d be eligible as she doubtless didn’t pay her stamp every week as it wouldn’t have been deemed necessary.

Franbern Sat 23-Apr-22 09:06:37

Can well remember people having to queue at Post Office on pension day. One time, fifty years back, I happened to go into my local sub-post office one Tuesday morning. It was packed out with elderly people (money had been delayed in being delivered). Think I only went for a couple of stamps, with my two very young children. One gentleman was waiting alongside his very large, equally elderly, panting dog. My 3-year old loved animals, went over to ask if he could pat him, then turned round to me - and in that very clear, loud toddler voice, told me that the dog had an 'enormous penis'!!!! Fifty years ago, do not think that word was often used by the age group waiting in there.

My Dad, back in the 1980's, would go over the road from his home each week to collect his pension from the sub post office. Never did have any bank accounts etc. One time, when he was in his 80's, as he left he was stopped by a group of four teenagers demanding he passed over that money. My Dad, bless him, was old-school London East Ender. Not afraid of anything, told them to 'b.........r' off, and then (as he told me afterward on the 'phone - much to my dismay), he actually pulled out a flick knive that he evidently always carried. They all ran off. I told him to ring the police, but - maybe- not mention that knive!!!!

So, Yes, it was normal to queue for pensions. It is only, I think in very recent years that these have been paid by bank transfer.

Anniebach Sat 23-Apr-22 08:46:42

I don’t have superiors and have never bowed or scraped to anyone

vegansrock Sat 23-Apr-22 05:37:58

Maybe not have an aristocracy or titles or bowing and scraping to “superiors”, who are only in that position by a dint of birth and through no merit of their own- maybe that would be a start towards more equality?

Bridgeit Fri 22-Apr-22 20:03:26

Or anything in between?

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 20:00:03

Bridgeit

Is the world & all its inhabitants living In a world of equality Ninananna?
What would or do you do yourself to bring about an equilibrium.

Utopia
Or Animal Farm?

Bridgeit Fri 22-Apr-22 19:58:36

Is the world & all its inhabitants living In a world of equality Ninananna?
What would or do you do yourself to bring about an equilibrium.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 19:50:03

Ninanana

I doubt she would have reached her great age if she'd had to queue in the cold and rain to collect her meagre pension. She has had the best of everything since the day she was born and this will continue until she dies.

Her father died at 56
Her sister at 71
Her mother at 101

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 19:47:07

Ninanana

Oh I don't know.
Some of our relatives reached 97 and 100+ and never had a car. So they must have queued up with their pension books and waited in the NHS queue.

It's genes and the allocation of genes is random.

Anniebach Fri 22-Apr-22 18:47:02

No, she cooks meals for the disabled so works different hours

Ninanana Fri 22-Apr-22 18:37:42

Doesn't she finish work at 5pm. Probably doing overtime.

Anniebach Fri 22-Apr-22 18:34:20

I will ask my neighbour if she remembers, she is 96, would ring her now but she’s at work

Ninanana Fri 22-Apr-22 18:30:30

You don't recall pension books and queues outside the post office on pension day?

eazybee Fri 22-Apr-22 18:23:25

My pension is paid directly into my bank account.
Isn't yours?
My grandmother and my father both died aged 94, and I don't recall either of them having to queue in the cold and rain for their pensions.

Ninanana Fri 22-Apr-22 18:07:06

eazybee Fri 22-Apr-22 17:51:13

Has any reason been given for the removal of two posts about royalty: 'Sorry -another thread about Prince Harry,' and 'Protection needed for royal thread.'
I have been out, and may have missed the apology.

Anniebach Fri 22-Apr-22 17:46:02

You know more than anyone here, no one else knew the Queen
had a brother, can we assume you got this fact ! from the same
place as all your other claims

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Apr-22 17:31:07

We don’t subsidise all their relatives. I suggest you look at the facts

Crack on then.
Royal finances are not known to be open to scrutiny. Even Prince Philips Will was shut to public gaze - the irony. Public have to support them and we don't get to see what millions they pass on to their offspring. Wonder why? (Maybe he left big dollops of cash for Andrew to pay off his latest victims?)

StoneofDestiny Fri 22-Apr-22 17:27:51

the extra £20 million was to repair a leaky Buckingham Palace

Yes - a palace nobody wants to live in! Waste of money - sell it to an investor who wants to open it up as a museum all year round or put it into public service in some other way.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 22-Apr-22 17:20:55

They do don’t they!?

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 17:20:12

Germanshepherdsmum

We don’t subsidise all their relatives. I suggest you look at the facts.

Facts seem to have flown out of the window on a blast of hot air.

Callistemon21 Fri 22-Apr-22 17:19:23

We know - the extra £20 million was to repair a leaky Buckingham Palace.

Successive governments didn't believe in planned maintenance so everything started to break down, leak and then it all costs more in the long run.