Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has Radio 4 lost their way?

(68 Posts)
snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 08:40:44

To think Radio 4 are obsessed with
inclusiveness and diversity at the expense of talent or content.

And people are switching off in droves.

Galaxy Mon 18-Apr-22 11:21:20

I listen to quite a lot of radio 4 but listen less because of spotify, availability of podcasts etc. If there has been a drop (and I cant see evidence for that - radio listening increased due to pandemic from what I remember) then it is likely due to the increase in alternatives particularly the increase in non music based programmes.

Vintagejazz Mon 18-Apr-22 11:25:29

DaisyAnne

And here we have it. One view about one, presumably older person, not liking one programme that would probably say about itself that it has updated to appeal to a younger audience.

And this proves what exactly?

Well it's an indication that some of it's longer term listeners might not like the changing tone of the programme.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:27:32

I am not switching off always listen to R4. There is a radio in most rooms tuned to r4 so I can move around the house and not miss anything. Programmes are varied, Informative and mostly interesting. Some are laugh out loud. From the Today programme through to World service I listen and enjoy.
I can tell what time it is by which programme is n and if I hear Sailing By, Shipping forecast and the national anthem ( its 1 am) know I am in for yet another bad night’s sleep.

Davida1968 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:37:17

I love Radio 4, as does DH. Our radios are all tuned to it, though we listen to BBC Radio stations 5 & 6 as well. IMO it's great to hear a diversity of accents, and more women presenters, producers, etc. The programmes offer a range of interesting & diverse items; keeping me in touch, entertaining me, and, (I hope) keeping the brain cells active!

Luckygirl3 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:39:54

I listen to Radio 4, and yes it has changed - in some ways for the better and in others for the worse. The 12.30/6.30 slot used to be a must for me, but has lost its sparkle a bit for me.

I love the diversity - it does not feel contrived to me, and it is refreshing to hear different voices. So much has changed in the media since I was young and the inclusion of minorities is the stand-our advance.

There is a lot about transgender etc. - but this is the topic of the age atm - we will move on from this as we did from the shock/horror of homosexuality when I was young.

On the whole I think R4 is doing OK. I do not think there is a left-wing or "woke" bias - just a sense of shared humanity.

OakDryad Mon 18-Apr-22 11:55:57

Shared humanity. I like that phrase Luckygirl3. This is why I like Crossing Continents and the switch over to the World Service at night for when I am unable to sleep.

Staff at my village library sometimes remark on the diverseness of books I’ve ordered which often have to be retrieved from the stacks. More often than not, it’s precisely because I’ve heard something on Radio 4 which has grabbed my interest.

I also enjoy the programmes enjoyed by the writer of the linked article: More or Less (latest edition on troop and casualty numbers in Ukraine), The Life Scientific (latest is about conservation and extinction), In Our Time (latest is about homo erectus. Next is about Olympe de Gouge the the Frenchwoman who wrote The Declaration of the Rights of Woman in 1791 during the French Revolution).

All three of these series have extensive back catalogues as do many other programmes so if immediate programming isn’t to someone’s taste then there are literally thousands of other programmes to listen to.

Oldbat1 Mon 18-Apr-22 11:57:45

Love radio 4.

cc Mon 18-Apr-22 12:10:09

@Vintagejazz
I agree, I've been a R4 listener all my life but find myself listening less and less. I do listen to R4Extra a lot, particularly overnight as I don't always sleep well. In general I don't think that BBC news coverage is any longer the best, I prefer Channel 4 in the evening.
I do miss the good dramas that used to be on, then we had a lot of Welsh and Scottish-based drama, presumably because of production costs.

Luckygirl3 Mon 18-Apr-22 13:11:00

The Life Scientific is a gem.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Apr-22 13:13:29

Lucky Yes I agree, the 6,30 slot isnt as it was. Another I dislike is Skewer on late about 11pm. It’s just a lot of noise, and my heart sinks. I wonder if this is the beeb trying to attract the younger set.

Anneeba Mon 18-Apr-22 13:36:18

Love Radio 4 and love Skewer; I think it's a clever way of highlighting the disingenuousness of politicians and of showing the news. Hardly surprised Conservativewoman (Ha!) doesn't like it. They've got the knives out for all the media I do like, including the wonderful Channel 4.

snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 14:26:44

I do miss the good dramas that used to be on, then we had a lot of Welsh and Scottish-based drama, presumably because of production costs.

I think if people submit plays they should get a sample audience to read the plays and choose which one is the most interesting and well written.
This should be done without any knowledge of the writer.
That way we would get to hear material that is chosen purely for how good and well written it

I get the feeling that's not how they choose material.

snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 14:28:05

Luckygirl3

The Life Scientific is a gem.

I love that programme.

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 14:29:39

An article in The Conservative Woman. Written by a man.

GrammarGrandma Mon 18-Apr-22 16:37:39

I listen to Radio 4 most of the day but switch to Radio 3 when You and Yours comes on, for Composer of the Week. Back to R4 for the World at One. Radio goes off at 7pm and TV goes on for Channel 4 News.

Lucca Mon 18-Apr-22 16:52:34

Where are the ratings showing the droves ?

Coastpath Mon 18-Apr-22 17:00:43

From The Conservative Woman's 'About us' page.

"We launched The Conservative Woman in 2014 as a counter-cultural offensive against the forces of Leftism, feminism and modernism – against the left-liberal cultural zeitgeist, to counter its anti-family, authoritarian identity politics and ‘equality and diversity’ ideology which had swept through the country’s institutions."

They sound nice.

snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 17:18:52

Lucca

Where are the ratings showing the droves ?

Oh hello. Fancy seeing you herewink

MerylStreep Mon 18-Apr-22 17:26:50

I have to make some compromises as I would have it on from 09.00 hrs ‘till 17.00. But OH loves music. So it’s a bit of each.

Riverwalk Mon 18-Apr-22 17:28:15

snowberryZ

To think Radio 4 are obsessed with
inclusiveness and diversity at the expense of talent or content.

And people are switching off in droves.

You haven't explained why you think Radio 4 is obsessed with inclusiveness and diversity at the expense of talent or content.

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Apr-22 17:35:34

What a strange post. confused
Any reason Lucca should not post a perfectly reasonable question?
(Which you don't seem to be answering either)

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Apr-22 17:47:50

Unclear that was @ snoberr

NotTooOld Mon 18-Apr-22 17:56:52

Another vote here for Radio 4. Yes, it has changed but everything changes. It's still the programme I keep my radio tuned in to. I listened avidly to Today all the way through the pandemic and still do so now. Yes, Nick Robinson can be a bit annoying when he continually interrupts people and some of the afternoon plays are a bit weird but on the whole I think they do a great job.

silverlining48 Mon 18-Apr-22 18:18:41

The thing is if the interviewer doesn't interupt politicians who are put on to answer fir their leader they avoid questions by going using tge broken record technique and unless the interviewer pursues an answer there won't be one.
Today is a serious political programme and politicians who are put on to represent their useless leader ( who refuses to be interviewed) must hate being pulled over the coals on his behalf.
It can be a bit shouty but someone needs to be held to account.

OnwardandUpward Mon 18-Apr-22 18:25:00

I am proud to say that I have never become a radio 4 listener, by choice, having been subjected to it (loudly) as a child.

To explain further, I have Sensory Processing disorder, so prefer silence to any radio programme and also don't watch much TV. Am perfectly happy without additional stimuli.