Gransnet forums

AIBU

Has Radio 4 lost their way?

(68 Posts)
snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 08:40:44

To think Radio 4 are obsessed with
inclusiveness and diversity at the expense of talent or content.

And people are switching off in droves.

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Apr-22 19:45:55

MawtheMerrier

Unclear that was @ snoberr

I am so sorry SnowberryZ I was charging my iPad and it developed a mind of its own

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 20:03:42

i have a question for the OP SnowberryZ

Where are the ratings showing the droves?

Iam64 Mon 18-Apr-22 20:45:44

What a strange link in support of the crazy notion that radio 4 has lost its way. Blimey. Imagine fearing a bit of inclusivity

lixy Mon 18-Apr-22 20:48:41

Radio 4 hasn't lost its way for me; always available in this house as it was for my parents and my grandma too.
I don't listen to the Archers anymore though, but then I don't watch any soaps on TV either - they're just too eventful for me.

snowberryZ Mon 18-Apr-22 20:53:59

lixy

Radio 4 hasn't lost its way for me; always available in this house as it was for my parents and my grandma too.
I don't listen to the Archers anymore though, but then I don't watch any soaps on TV either - they're just too eventful for me.

I stopped listening to the Archers when the Grundys lost their farmgrin

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 21:13:26

You haven’t answered my question SnowberryZ

MawtheMerrier Mon 18-Apr-22 21:18:13

I fear you are on a hiding to nothing OP.
Your link was two years old and clearly biased (the clue was in the name!) and several examples have been quoted showing the exact opposite of the premise on which the thread is based.
So maybe YABU , but also possibly YHGTWEOTS (you have got the wrong end of the stick) )

Isthepopecatholic Mon 18-Apr-22 21:25:53

I love radio 4. I’m so pleased it has not become fossilised and is keeping up with the times.

Blossoming Mon 18-Apr-22 21:36:51

As you still haven’t provided any basis for your claims OP then I’m afraid I must conclude that yes, YABU.

snowberryZ Tue 19-Apr-22 06:32:18

After reading all the responses.
I've come to the conclusion
I AM being unreasonable.

Have a nice day everybody.

argymargy Tue 19-Apr-22 06:55:29

I listen to R4 to broaden my mind - what a radical lefty idea. I find the 6.30 slot less funny nowadays but the recent Desolation Jests had me laughing out loud. Not to everyone’s taste I imagine but - another radical lefty idea - I realise people are different.

argymargy Tue 19-Apr-22 06:56:04

Ah well said @snowberryZ

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Apr-22 15:49:03

Snowberry... These flowers are for you
Why?
Because you are obviously someone who read what others have said and re-evaluates your own position.

What a breath-of-fresh-air that is!

I do try to be like that but don't always manage it.

Farzanah Tue 19-Apr-22 15:58:27

Thank you for coming back snowberry. It’s positive to acknowledge different points of view. We don’t always do that and it’s refreshing.

I like a good discussion, but sometimes becomes a bit heated in print, which it doesn’t often face to face.

I wasn’t keen on the conservativewoman site after looking at some of the postings, which were quite unpleasant imo even regardless of political leanings.

NotSpaghetti Tue 19-Apr-22 16:32:36

Just thought I'd see who the David Owen person was who wrote the article.
His experience is in oil gas and mining it seems.

Vintagejazz Wed 20-Apr-22 20:27:54

Snowberryz I wish there were more posters like you.

Natter99 Thu 21-Apr-22 16:03:32

I generally listen to Radio 2 , especially to Jeremy Vine at noon. I have listened to some Woman’s Hour podcasts during the Lockdowns.I enjoy the Moth Radio Hour on Radio 4 Extra on Sunday mornings which has talks to live American audiences.