Gransnet forums

AIBU

Swapping cups and plates.

(63 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Thu 12-May-22 13:11:11

Dermot O Leary admitted on a recent programme that he often brings up the plates from the bottom of the pile so that 'these fellows can have a turn.Same with mugs at the back of the cupboard, these chaps don't want to be left out. Does anyone else do this?
I do feel a bit guilty about my 2 special settings which I never use. I don't like the thought of them being left on the shelf! I

ElaineI Thu 12-May-22 23:37:55

I am definitely like that! Mostly with mugs as we hand wash those but the plates go in the dishwasher and we run it every 3 days so they all get used. Must be mad but I feel the mugs will be hurt if they don't get used ?

CanadianGran Thu 12-May-22 23:45:34

Never even considered it for dinnerware and mugs. Mine mostly match, but since mugs get broken or chipped more quickly than plates I have had to buy replacements.

Tea towels don't get rotated either, but it's not a bad idea. I need to go through that drawer anyway, so I'll put it on the list for the weekend. I was just saying I needed more rags for cleaning, so I will rip some of the older towels in half, and re-organize. Maybe even help myself to some new ones.

MissAdventure Thu 12-May-22 23:46:35

ElaineI

I am definitely like that! Mostly with mugs as we hand wash those but the plates go in the dishwasher and we run it every 3 days so they all get used. Must be mad but I feel the mugs will be hurt if they don't get used ?

Hurt mugs?

grin

Bellanonna Fri 13-May-22 11:58:40

I’ve got a few hurt mugs then. They look nice on their shelf and are useful if all the others are in the dishwasher and somebody calls.

kircubbin2000 Fri 13-May-22 13:20:34

ElaineI

Thats more or less what Dermot admitted when he said he talks to them.

PollyDolly Fri 13-May-22 13:26:24

I rotate the tea towels; when I put clean ones away they go too the bottom of the pile, OH will just stick them on top. When we get a clean one out we take from the top of the pile. Therefore, we can end up with a couple of sad, lonely tea towels that rarely get used.

Esspee Fri 13-May-22 13:53:27

I must be contrary. Freshly laundered towels and sheets are put on the top and replaced with ones from the bottom of the pile.

fluttERBY123 Sat 14-May-22 11:51:58

I have never heard of this rotation malarkey. It's whatever comes first to hand for us.

mokryna Sat 14-May-22 12:00:02

When I stack the clean crockery I always do this, the same with linen and underwear of the same colour.

Jeanieallergy21 Sat 14-May-22 12:15:59

I try to rotate the tea towels, since we married * years ago we have bought one nearly every time we went on holiday so each one brings back memories. Sadly since we got a dishwasher they don't get much use!

Aepgirl Sat 14-May-22 12:16:47

I do the same as you, Tabitha..

SparklyGrandma Sat 14-May-22 12:26:05

Lixy what a good idea.

inishowen Sat 14-May-22 12:26:42

I have about 12 mugs and as they get used they go in the dishwasher. So really I'm using all my mugs.

grandtanteJE65 Sat 14-May-22 12:32:20

I would never have thought of rotating cups and plates - they don't wear out after all.

The theory of equalizing wear on household linen by putting the clean stuff at the bottom of the pile, sounds all right, but is it?

Does it not simply mean that it all wears out at the same time?

It is decidedly cheaper to buy one or two bath towels at a time than a whole stack of them.

Theoddbird Sat 14-May-22 12:32:45

I do have some gorgeous china that I don't use. I eat my food from a shallow dish that is probably a hundred years old that is the perfect size. I have a mug collection that never gets used...all really lovely different designs. The mug I always use for my coffee has a chip...hahaha.

InTheCove Sat 14-May-22 12:33:21

We use all dishes and cups since we fill our dishwasher. However, I do rotate my kitchen towels and dining chairs (all leather), so that they get equally used.

Sara1954 Sat 14-May-22 12:43:48

I am as tea towel addict, I have no idea why, as I don’t enjoy drying up, but I like to see them brightening up the kitchen.
I rotate them, and I’m not allowed to cheat, for example, I’m not allowed to delve into the middle to find a Christmas one at Christmas!
This morning is Emma Bridgewaters strawberries.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 14-May-22 12:45:17

Slightly off piste here but for those who watch Gogglebox, have you ever noticed the endless array of mugs used by the brother and sister from Blackpool? Every single week they each have a new, chunky, uncomfortable looking mug. This week Sophie’s was in the shape of a green wheelie bin. I always wonder where they store all these surplus mugs. No rotating, just two new ones each week.

elleks Sat 14-May-22 12:52:01

I rotate mugs according to the season. In winter I use small chunky earthenware mugs-they hold the heat well, and are comfortable to cradle. For warmer weather I have several floral bone china mugs.

LovelyLady Sat 14-May-22 12:55:31

I do this too.
I used to eat the veg I didn’t like in case the veg got upset.
I do this with most things.
I thank my car at the end of journeys and hello using her name when I go on journeys.
Mad I know but that’s how it is.

Gwenisgreat1 Sat 14-May-22 13:25:53

The rare occasions DH puts the crockery away, he meticulously make sure they all have a turn! I don't have time and just shove them away as they come out of the dishwasher!

Happysexagenarian Sat 14-May-22 13:31:18

I sort of rotate plates and mugs depending on where I put them in the cupboard. None of them match, I just buy what takes my fancy. Our dinner service is all white, but not all matching as pieces have been broken over the years and the pattern's no longer available, so I replaced with something similar. We have 24 place settings plus numerous serving dishes - very handy when all the family visit - so I really wouldn't want to buy a new dinner service just because a few pieces don't match!

I swap towels and tea towels around so they all get used, and I always have some new unused ones ready to replace any that start to look tattered. I buy all my linen and towels from a hotel suppliers, they rarely wear out but eventually the whites can start to look a bit grey. I have three full bed sets for each bed and towel bails for the family when they visit.

I remember my Mum's bed linen being full of darning and patches but she wouldn't replace it because it was fine linen. She thought cotton & polyester was cheap and common. Likewise she was quite happy to use chipped china because it was bone china and she hated 'thick' modern mugs. In fact she never used a mug, always a bone china cup and saucer.

pooohbear2811 Sat 14-May-22 13:32:06

no the first plate/bowl I get hold of is the one I use, they come out the dishwasher and just get put in the right place with clean ones going on top of existing ones. Prefer the chunky cups for my hot drinks, but they stack in a holder, again put in in the order they come out of the dishwasher.
Just been and asked my bottom plates but they assure me they don't feel left out wink
Hubby on the other hand will only use certain cups/bowls and a fork, apparently food doesn't taste right off of any other fork.

Bazwheat Sat 14-May-22 14:14:52

We never rotate any crockery. Just use whatever we need at the time, if we break any, just get a different one from the cupboard

lizzypopbottle Sat 14-May-22 16:22:26

Yes, I admit I rotate these plates. I count along and select, say, the third and fifth. Next time it'll be a different pair. Weird...