Gransnet forums

AIBU

Outdoor shoes - on or off?

(136 Posts)
NannyB2604 Mon 20-Jun-22 12:44:45

Just wondering what others think or do. Is it ever acceptable to ask someone to take their outdoor shoes off when coming into your house? Or should you (as I do at present) hope for the best and grin and bear it if they don't? We have beige carpets throughout (there when we bought the house) and can't afford (don't want) to replace them with something more practical at least for the time being. Any opinions on this?

rafichagran Thu 11-Aug-22 09:29:28

kittylester

I wouldn't dream of asking people to take their shoes off. I do always ask in other people's homes.

I am exactly the same.

AussieGran59 Sun 07-Aug-22 10:42:40

I was never brought up to remove shoes inside. I have all slate floors which are vacuumed and mopped regularly.
I have severe foot deformities and cannot just pad around in socks.
I don’t want someone with stinking smelly feet to remove their shoes in my home thank you. Have survived 63 years and nobody in the house has caught a disease from wearing shoes inside.

Shelflife Sat 06-Aug-22 08:43:27

We don't and never will expect people to remove their shoes. I will if it expected in other people's homes. Having said that I am most uncomfortable walking without shoes! If I have bare feet I would be very embarrassed as my bunions are unsightly!! and I do need the support of shoes! We have friends who prefer guests to remove shoes so I have bought a pair of light weight slip on shoes specially for my visits to them .
Of course if shoes are covered in mud I would remove them! but do think it is an imposition to expect shoe removal . It causes some people to be very uncomfortable and I would not want my guests to feel that way.

Tinckerbell Mon 01-Aug-22 11:15:34

Where I live it's the norm. People take off their shoes in others' houses, especially if you belong to groups and might have quite a number of people coming, and contractors either take theirs off or put on plastic booties. Nobody makes a fuss or thinks it odd.

MissAdventure Wed 06-Jul-22 09:59:57

My mum was ridiculously fussy, but she never asked people to remove their shoes. (We were poor)
Instead, she used to clean and polish the lino where people stood in the living room until it was like a skating rink.

Witzend Wed 06-Jul-22 09:08:59

Nannydenise

I always kick my shoes off ,I don't want germs and muck from the streets in my house, as for it being lower class is absurd,it's the rich with an army of servants who walked around the house in shoes all day, if abroad for example turkey and you enter a house with street shoes on its considered the height of bad manners

My parents weren’t rich, far from it, certainly no servants, not so much as a cleaning lady, but unless very wet or muddy we never did shoes-off and nor did any friends or relatives.

melp1 Tue 05-Jul-22 21:44:45

We always take off our shoes when coming indoors as do my visitors, Even the dog has its paws wiped.
I always remove my shoes when going into someones home.
Leave a few pairs of shoes in the entrance hall so never had to ask anyone to remove their shoes.
We also have a cream carpet in the lounge but tiles and laminate elsewhere.

effalump Sat 25-Jun-22 15:27:59

I never ask people to take off their shoes but I really don't mind others asking that of me if I visit them. It's small-fish. Is it really something to be bothered by?

Nannydenise Thu 23-Jun-22 22:02:04

I always kick my shoes off ,I don't want germs and muck from the streets in my house, as for it being lower class is absurd,it's the rich with an army of servants who walked around the house in shoes all day, if abroad for example turkey and you enter a house with street shoes on its considered the height of bad manners

tictacnana Thu 23-Jun-22 13:14:30

I don’t have carpets but when I did I never asked people to remove shoes. All my GC automatically take off shoes or wellies if they’ve been on a muddy walk. I have a quite badly deformed foot so no one ever asks me to remove my shoes .... too scary !

MissAdventure Thu 23-Jun-22 11:30:25

I never ever wear socks, so it would be barefoot for me.
I hate to go barefoot in case I tread on a spider, though.

Athrawes Thu 23-Jun-22 10:29:28

I have to wear special shoes but I still offer to remove them. Thankfully so far noone has objected!

AussieNanna Thu 23-Jun-22 09:44:56

Kartush

I have never asked anyone to take off their shoes although some do just as a matter of course, which is fine with me if they prefer it.
Im not sure how it would go here in Australia as most of us dont wear socks with our shoes so we would end up walking on your carpets with naked feet. unless of course you supplied random socks

really?

gosh I wear socks with shoes all the time - not thongs or sandals obviously, but with any boots or lace up shoes.

I do go barefoot inside in summer in my own house though.

AussieNanna Thu 23-Jun-22 09:41:38

Goldieoldie15

In Australia and New Zealand ALL visitors take their shoes off as a matter of course. And leave them outside the front door. But that’s colonials for you eh.

that isnt correct.

Ive lived in Australia all my life and have rarely come across this shoes off inside idea. Not never - but rarely
Of course Australia is a multi cultural diverse country so some demographics are more likely to want this - eg asian background Australians
I wear shoes in my house ( I wear slippers too but that is more for comfort than as the only footwear for inside) and I do not ask anyone to take theirs off. They can if they want to but I dont recall anyone doing that.
If I go to anyone's house and they ask or it is obvious by a shoe rack in the hallway or suchlike - then I oblige

as to OP's question - although this isnt my house rule, I do not think it is at all rude to ask someone if they are coming into your house.
Your house, your rules.

But I would be prepared to make exceptions - if people need to wear shoes for medical reasons or find it too difficult to remove them.
and when I worked in community nursing we were not allowed to remove shoes - we had to wear enclosed shoes at all times for OHS.
I expect tradespeople would be the same.

Kartush Thu 23-Jun-22 08:11:26

I have never asked anyone to take off their shoes although some do just as a matter of course, which is fine with me if they prefer it.
Im not sure how it would go here in Australia as most of us dont wear socks with our shoes so we would end up walking on your carpets with naked feet. unless of course you supplied random socks

MissAdventure Wed 22-Jun-22 23:12:41

Perhaps we should have one of those little foot pool things, like you go through to get to the swimming pool.

welbeck Wed 22-Jun-22 23:12:37

if people are really worried, they can put down a runner, or some sheeting.
as for changing the baby, surely you wouldn't do it on a bare floor anyway, but on a changing mat or something else than can be easily washed/wiped.

Doodledog Wed 22-Jun-22 23:07:00

Do people really have disposable slippers for guests? I'm assuming that nobody would seriously expect others to put on worn slippers?

It seems terribly wasteful, and a bit neurotic, really. I can understand family (or other very regular visitors) leaving slippers in the house of someone who insists on no shoes, but do people hand out disposable slippers to all comers?

greenlady102 Wed 22-Jun-22 23:05:20

DoNotDisturb

When I worked for over 20 yrs as a Community Nurse I would ALWAYS wipe my feet very thoroughly before entering, but I would often be asked to remove shoes, even winter boots, which I hated! If I was visiting somewhere very plush, I would half-heartedly offer, especially in mucky weather,but there were many homes I went to where I would be wanting to wipe my feet on the way OUT!!!!!

As your manager (I did used to manage community nurses as part of the community team) I would have told you for safety reasons under NO circumstances to remove your shoes.

greenlady102 Wed 22-Jun-22 23:01:53

I used to work in the nhs in the community. I went into some very smart houses with pale carpets and sometimes vintage persian rugs on the floor. There were occasions when I was asked to remove my shoes but I had to refuse for safert readons ax I would be fitting and adjusting equipment and it would not be safe to do so in my socks or in shoe covers or slippers. We would do our best to have clean shoes but it was a rural area.

Granmarderby10 Wed 22-Jun-22 22:57:58

Odd one this.
Would anyone ask their GP, a paramedic or a carer to remove their footwear? (Stretch of the imagination re doctors doing housecalls ) I know…

The majority of houses, in this country at least have no hall to speak of and no space for piles of shoes (trip hazard?) or apart from the stairs room for a chair.
I think it is an undignified palaver, especially if people have dressed up for an occasion, faffing about in a small space with buckles and laces and falling over themselves., to put on some manky sweaty old slipper.

Absolutely hate the look and feel of fluffy slippers paired with smart clothing, - I’d feel like Mrs. Merton and anyway also. stockinged feet slithering about on laminate flooring is a disaster waiting to happen even for dogs.

Wet wellington boots/ sludgy dog walk stuff well you’d go round the back surely !
The tyranny of light coloured carpets…..I say bring back the busy designs of the seventies and get a really good doormat.

Ali08 Wed 22-Jun-22 21:23:26

We have, in the past, had no shoes indoors rules. No-one minded being asked to remove their footwear.
A few of you have said you'd no objection to having been asked to remove your shoes at others places do why be embarrassed about doing do so at your homes?
I've often noticed that plenty of people tend to just walk right over a door mat, not giving a care what's on their shoes!

Love59 Wed 22-Jun-22 12:20:29

My midwife advised putting a clean towel down on the carpet before (hygienically and safely) changing baby’s nappy. She wasn’t being rude about my housekeeping skills, just that “you never know what your visitors have trodden in”! I’ve never forgotten this advice…

Riggie Wed 22-Jun-22 12:09:16

As with the rest of the people I knew growing up (friends, family) I know how to wipe my feet properly - assuming they have a doormat!!

I'm not going to ask people to take shoes off here.

And while I will take then off if someone asks me to, I really would rather not be walking round their house in my bare feet!!

Doodledog Wed 22-Jun-22 11:56:18

That makes sense if you are lying a vulnerable person on the floor; but for most people that just doesn't happen. We don't eat off the floor, or crawl about on it like babies do.

That being the case, why worry about minute amounts of nasties that have been walked in and escaped the hoover/mop when you are sitting on a chair or sofa, well away from them?