Gransnet forums

AIBU

Tiredness and ageing

(39 Posts)
damek1ndness Sat 25-Jun-22 10:22:23

I’ve just hit 60 and working full time ( and will need to be until state pension kicks in ) my job as a lecturer is quite flexible and I WFH three days a week and around two days a week I’m on my feet teaching I like my job.

I’m absolutely exhausted most of the time - no health issues/long covid - I sleep like a baby most nights and in bed by 9pm AIBU to just accept that working full time in your 60’s is just exhausting? I feel like my life consists of working, recovering from working and sleeping!

JaneJudge Sat 25-Jun-22 10:26:55

Of course it's exhausting. I think we are going to see a rise in people dying at work in all honesty. Can you imagine doing a physically demanding job in a fast paced, low paid environment? It must be crippling

nadateturbe Sat 25-Jun-22 10:27:13

I don't think you should be so tired, especially as you seem to get a goodnight's sleep. Perhaps a checkup with doctor would be a good idea.

StarDreamer Sat 25-Jun-22 10:33:39

I knew a woman who told me she had been, in her thirties or so, always very tired after getting home from work.

It was found her thyroid was not acting correctly. She was put on some tablets, one a day for life, and was then fine.

Being told that arose in a discussion around thirty years ago about prescription charges going up, when she told us all she got free prescriptions and explained why, apparently non-means-tested free prescriptions are provided at any age for some conditions.

GrannyLaine Sat 25-Jun-22 11:35:13

Well worth seeing your doctor to get your bloods checked. Underactive thyroid is a definite possibility as is anaemia and low Vitamin D levels. But first consideration: are you eating a good diet with plenty of protein and good fats? Easy at that time of life to forget about your own wellbeing when you are busy looking after others. Ask me how I know..... ?

Nanna58 Sat 25-Jun-22 11:36:46

Definitely think some underlying problem here , thyroid as previously mentioned, iron deficiency?Your lifestyle doesn’t sound hectic enough to cause such exhaustion at a relatively young age . A GP visit might be all that’s needed to sort out the problem ?

StarDreamer Sat 25-Jun-22 11:44:03

Asking if a vitamin B12 (said as "Bee twelve") check can be included if you have a blood test is worth considering.

Vitamin B12 needs to both be in the food eaten and also be being absorbed properly from the food.

damek1ndness Sat 25-Jun-22 11:45:32

I’ve been to the GP and bloods all within normal limits and no active health issues. Perhaps I just need to build some more resilience

JaneJudge Sat 25-Jun-22 12:12:15

You don't. I wonder how many people who have posted you aren't normal are still in full time employment!

StarDreamer Sat 25-Jun-22 12:30:09

JaneJudge

You don't. I wonder how many people who have posted you aren't normal are still in full time employment!

I made no comment about whether the OP is normal.

In fairness the OP posted about tiredness yet did not mention having been to the doctor.

So people tried to help.

Had the OP stated of having been to the doctor and having been checked then that would have been a different basis for the thread to proceed upon.

damek1ndness Sat 25-Jun-22 12:35:52

@StarDreamer - I did put I had no health issues in my OP but perhaps I should have been more specific so apologies if you feel I’ve somehow misled people

@JaneJudge - Many thanks for your support. I kind of wanted to understand whether other people of a similar age might find full time work challenging

JaneJudge Sat 25-Jun-22 12:38:02

I'm younger than you and I find it a challenge, I think lots of people do!

Stardreamer I think it's sensible to rule anything out health wise but it ishard working full time in your 60s.

PollyDolly Sat 25-Jun-22 12:40:08

It sounds like you are getting adequate sleep but have you looked at your diet? are you getting the right balance of hydration and nutrients? If you are due a health check then mention your concerns to the GP/Nurse Practitioner and see what they suggest. You might just need a dietary supplement. Hope it is nothing serious though.

Farmor15 Sat 25-Jun-22 12:41:39

I worked as a lecturer until I retired at 62 (not due to ill health, I'd paid extra contributions to retire early). A lot of time was spent on my feet as I taught lab classes. I sometimes felt a bit tired, but not like OP describes.

In the last few years of work, I started cycling there some days - 10 miles each way. I actually found that the days I cycled I had more energy for the rest of the day. Maybe more exercise could help?

Riverwalk Sat 25-Jun-22 13:08:02

You have no health issues, sleep very well, and most importantly like your job - I'm surprised that you're absolutely exhausted most of the time.

I'm 67 - at 60 I was a full-time nurse doing 12.5 hour shifts, three days a week but no more than two days in a row. On work days after being out of the house for 14 hours I was knackered on arriving home with legs that felt like lead pipes, but was ready for action the next day.

Presumably you eat well? As suggested, maybe some sort of outdoor exercise regime, which sounds a bit counter-intuitive I know!

wildswan16 Sat 25-Jun-22 13:57:22

You are still working full time - mentally and physically five days a week. Whether we like it or not, as we get older we do lose some of the resilience we had when we were 30 or 40.

I also think (and don't know if this applies to your role) that many jobs are changing rapidly and new ways of working/protocols etc are being introduced. This can be an added stress. Do you still actually enjoy what you are doing?

I hope you get some time to do things that you find relaxing, hobbies, walking, theatre, coffees etc. Even if we love our jobs, once we get to "nearly retiring" maybe we look forward to it and wish it would be time - making work seem even harder.

PaperMonster Sat 25-Jun-22 15:49:55

I’m younger than you and found full time lecturing to be an exhausting experience! Although I’ve always been a tired all the time type of person!

Elusivebutterfly Sat 25-Jun-22 16:09:49

I worked full time in a busy, stressful job in my early 60s and felt absolutely awful. I went to bed before 9pm and ate well but was always exhausted, as well as health issues such as arthritis and migraine. (I also had adult DC at home and DGC at weekends).
I don't think our bodies are designed to do so much when we are older. I felt 20 years younger when I retired.

Shinamae Sat 25-Jun-22 16:15:23

I am 69, work three afternoon shifts in a care home which does leave me pretty exhausted but I do enjoy it and as I only have the basic state pension to live on the money comes in very handy….. I will continue doing this as long as I am able

Kim19 Sat 25-Jun-22 19:16:24

I worked full time until I was 65 and pension kicked in then I went part time until 74. Wasn't overly tired or exhausted as I recollect. No difficult health issues either. My demands were mental rather than physical which probably helped. Do agree your diet may be worth considering.

geekesse Sat 25-Jun-22 21:29:11

I’m early 60s, and I have found work more physically tiring as I’ve got older in the last two or three years. My ‘full time’ job was about 55 hours a week, and I was utterly exhausted, so I dropped one day a week. I still do about 45 hours a week, but it now counts as part-time. That extra day off makes all the difference - I can sleep in till late, potter around at home or out, and do household chores at my leisure instead of fitting them in around working hours.

Somebody once told me you need less sleep as you grow older. I’m still waiting for that to happen for me.

FlexibleFriend Sat 25-Jun-22 22:26:13

I'm 68 and no longer work due to disability but I still do as much as I can and you being that tired does not sound normal. If I was you I'd see my GP for a check up and blood tests. It could be something simple but you won't know without tests.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Jun-22 23:54:11

I’ve always needed more sleep than most people. I was lucky in that I was able to retire at 62 as I felt that, had I continued working I’d just be working and sleeping. Pre pandemic ( when I was @ 67) I was finding that looking after my grandchildren for any length of time exhausted me. My ex husband, who’s two years older than me is planning to cycle from the north to the south coast for the second time. Some people just need more sleep than others.

ElaineI Sun 26-Jun-22 00:00:27

I did 3 days a week till I was 62 as a nurse and childcare on top of that 1 or 2 days. Was pretty tired - aching back, legs. Was on my feet or kneeling and treating patients most of working day. Retired and did a bit more childcare then Covid and lockdowns hit. Childminder stopped so pretty much 4 day a week child care for a baby. Sometimes mummy came home to baby sleeping on top of a sleeping granny, supervised by an amused papa! I do think that your tiredness is a little excessive but you are full time so that probably explains it. Don't worry about it. You need as much sleep as your body dictates. Your GP has excluded health issues so go with the flow.

LOUISA1523 Mon 27-Jun-22 17:06:43

damek1ndness

I’ve been to the GP and bloods all within normal limits and no active health issues. Perhaps I just need to build some more resilience

Even if they are in normal limits , if you are at the lower end of normal you could be suffering...when you say bloods did that include vit D, calcium, magnesium, cholesterol vit B12...these are often not routinely tested....just the usual kidney liver, iron etc.... my vit D was in normal limits but only just...my GPprescribed a supplement and my energy levels have improved