Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV or not TV

(125 Posts)
paddyann54 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:28:26

My OH has decided he wants to put a TV on the wall in the sitting area of our kitchen.
I dont want it ,we've always had just one TV in the house because I dont like them around when we're eating or in bedrooms..our kids never felt deprived without one in their rooms .
He's not pleased that I dont want another TV ,I dont think we need one .there are only two of us here and we generally watch the same things or one of us will sit with a laptop while the other watches with input from the laptop user.
We have a large wallmounted smart TV in the living room why on earth do we need another?
Should I just give in and then find no conversation at meal times because we're glued to the screen? Am I being unreasonable ?

Brismum Thu 30-Jun-22 18:16:19

So glad you’ve resolved it amicably. It sounds as if it will work for you both and you obviously had a discussion about it. Bless him for wanting to be with you.

Riggie Thu 30-Jun-22 14:03:05

Sounds like the poor man doesn't get much say about what happens in his home.

GrammarGrandma Thu 30-Jun-22 09:52:02

We have had a small Tv in the kitchen for years, in more then one house. We watch Channel 4 news at 7pm, which is when we have dinner. It does not preclude conversation!

Marmight Thu 30-Jun-22 06:49:20

A happy compromise Paddy.
I have a TV in the sitting room. Otherwise I watch on the iPad which moves around with me if necessary l, so no telly required anywhere else in the house.

Audi10 Thu 30-Jun-22 05:19:01

We have 4 tvs in our house but not one in kitchen, we’ve never actually wanted one there, but if my husband wanted one I wouldn’t put my foot down, it’s his house as much as mine,

Catterygirl Thu 30-Jun-22 01:11:16

This post has made me feel very techie and modern. Thank you. I listened to Radio Luxembourg under the pillow when I was 12 but have moved on. Just love the choice available today and talk to family nonstop too.

FarNorth Thu 30-Jun-22 00:54:47

I'm glad you've got it worked out between you.

Nannagarra Wed 29-Jun-22 22:54:29

Ah, that sounds lovely. Glad it’s worked out for you both.

paddyann54 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:47:43

He has always been an equal partner ,we have a very good very happy marriage .We've decided to trail it and see how it goes .
I shifted furniture so it can go on a different wall and he'll
put the wallmount up tomorrow .
Apparently I spend a lot of time in the kitchen and bless his heart he'd rather watch TV in there with me than in the living room alone .Could be related to him losing his mum and still finding her loss very hard .
Thank you all for your input

Nannagarra Wed 29-Jun-22 22:31:21

Well, it’s good to know I’m not alone in rarely watching tv! Thank you GN, you’ve made my day!

MamaB247 Wed 29-Jun-22 22:30:49

Whether your kids felt deprived or not, your husband is an equal partner in this relationship and now his opinion does matter too. It's something you should discuss between yourselves and make a compromise. Maybe get one but make it clear it doesn't go on during meals or when you have guests. Unless of course they are there to watch an event. Otherwise I don't see why not. We grew up with one TV but now my husband wants one in the bedroom. He goes to bed before me at night so I'm willing to comprise, he can watch it until I'm ready to sleep. He's happy, it means we can watch different programmes when we want to

boheminan Wed 29-Jun-22 21:54:55

All I want to see I watch online, so don't have/want/need a TV

HazelEyes Wed 29-Jun-22 21:45:08

Why not turn this around. Suppose you wanted a TV in the kitchen but your OH didn't. How would you feel not being allowed one. I know I wouldn't be happy. Talk to him, have you asked why he wants one, when he would watch it etc.

Shizam Wed 29-Jun-22 20:06:02

I have just the one non-smart tv in living room. Probably 20 years old. I’d quite like a smart one. But can’t quite deal with scrapping my old still very functional workhorse. Bit like my beloved old car that I had to sell because of ulez, they don’t make them like that any more ?

Nainijo Wed 29-Jun-22 20:03:12

Also I have radios on all over the house, love background music. Also iPods and headphones to listen to Podcasts or music on my phone

Nainijo Wed 29-Jun-22 20:00:56

Don’t see a problem, we have a small TV in our conservatory/main living area, which is adjacent to the kitchen, We can watch when either of us is cooking etc. This also doubles as ‘the sports room’ when football, rugby, tennis, basically anything I am not interested in. I watch my TV dramas and films on the main TV in the lounge.
I agree it wouldn’t work for everyone, but it works for us.

LovelyLady Wed 29-Jun-22 18:51:18

Reading through the posts is an insight to others lives.
Seem to me you both do a lot of talking BUT not much information sharing and listening. I’m not sure another TV will change much. Our TV’s all have a function that enables radio.
Please please let us know the outcome. It’s frustrating when all goes quiet and we don’t know the ending.
To TV or not to TV that is the question.

Esspee Wed 29-Jun-22 18:43:43

We have one TV and that’s how it will always be unless one of us becomes bedridden. When OH is away the TV doesn’t get switched on. I am not sure I would be able to operate it though I haven’t seen the last series of Bridgerton so may have to take lessons if I ever want to see it.

LOUISA1523 Wed 29-Jun-22 18:43:41

We have a 32 inch TV in front lounge....we always sit in back lounge....I think it was last watched a couple of years ago....if we watch anything on Netflix or iplayer its on an ipad or phone ....which isn't often...I used to love tv....but I couldn't sit still long enough now to watch ...I get ants in my pants.... my DD had the TV on from sun up to sun down even if no ones watching....I guess you need to compromise

biglouis Wed 29-Jun-22 17:45:24

Im not a great lover of TV and wont have one in the bedroom. I dont stay in the kitchen long enough to justify having one there. Radios are different. Music is just background noise and can be ignored. I have only one TV in the house.

nadateturbe Wed 29-Jun-22 16:59:42

Bellocchild our Netflix works in 3 rooms.

nadateturbe Wed 29-Jun-22 16:57:51

Mamma66 GN will delete them for you.

Mapleleaf Wed 29-Jun-22 16:42:50

We have a small one in the kitchen, but it’s hardly ever on, especially during the day. We might occasionally put the 1pm news on whilst having our sandwich, or if there’s a decent film on in the afternoon when I’m ironing, but mostly it stays off.
It is useful though, because if there are different programmes on at the same time that we both want to watch in the evening, one of us will watch the tv in the kitchen, and the other will watch the one in the sitting room. Although it’s not essential to have two tv’s, there are times when we find it useful to have both.

Petera Wed 29-Jun-22 16:28:48

GrannyGravy13

We have one in kitchen diner, I like to have it on when I am preparing meals and if I am ironing

When people ask the purpose of ironing you can tell them that it keeps your mind active while watching TV

paddyann54 Wed 29-Jun-22 16:26:33

sodapop no input ,he put a deposit on it one Sunday while out for a run.We had been looking for a bigger house and he thought this would be ideal,100 yards from the school ,surrounded by green spaces ,on a bus route near a shop ,a mile from the town centre ....On paper it was perfect but I hated it when we moved in.Once we'd reconfigured the rooms and extended it I was fine .We do know each other excepionally well so he didn't think it was a risky thing to do.
He buys cars too without saying .I am in all honesty the most laid back person you could meet so nothing really bothers me .We can get through anything ...even this TV .I did get used to the 75" monstrosity quite quickly.Easier than the 3D one he brought home a few years ago ...lol.The GC and my MIL loved it and watching them ducking when things seemed to come out of the screen was hilarious.
I'm hoping Miss Paddy is right and its really a fish tank