Gransnet forums

AIBU

TV or not TV

(124 Posts)
paddyann54 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:28:26

My OH has decided he wants to put a TV on the wall in the sitting area of our kitchen.
I dont want it ,we've always had just one TV in the house because I dont like them around when we're eating or in bedrooms..our kids never felt deprived without one in their rooms .
He's not pleased that I dont want another TV ,I dont think we need one .there are only two of us here and we generally watch the same things or one of us will sit with a laptop while the other watches with input from the laptop user.
We have a large wallmounted smart TV in the living room why on earth do we need another?
Should I just give in and then find no conversation at meal times because we're glued to the screen? Am I being unreasonable ?

fairfraise Tue 28-Jun-22 17:30:38

I don't think so!

Wheniwasyourage Tue 28-Jun-22 17:33:08

Neither do I. Never seen the point of background TV. It's not like the radio in the background, as you can get on with something else while listening, but not so easily while watching. Stick to your guns!

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:34:46

We have one in kitchen diner, I like to have it on when I am preparing meals and if I am ironing

kittylester Tue 28-Jun-22 17:35:37

I think so. From what I have gleaned of you paddy, you and your dh will still talk - probably over the tv.

We have 4 blush including one in the kitchen - watching it just gives us more to natter about.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:38:54

(Ok I admit that me ironing is not a regular occasion, I know a lady who does though)

Carenza123 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:39:50

I don’t see the need for a tv in the kitchen - I think it’s a man thing. It will kill conversation if installed.

Elizabeth27 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:40:42

There is no right or wrong, he wants one you don't, somebody is going to be unhappy, I guess it will be him.

sodapop Tue 28-Jun-22 17:41:52

Not a great problem if you agree it should be turned off whilst you are eating. I don't have any other televisions apart from the one in the living room. Kitchen is too small and we prefer to read in bed rather than watch TV.

Bellanonna Tue 28-Jun-22 17:47:18

We’ve only got one TV but i do go overboard on radios, with one in every room including the loo. When I’m working in the kitchen it’s easier to have the radio in the background than a TV which I would have to give my attention to. So I hope you get your way paddyanne (which I think you probably will!)

BlueBelle Tue 28-Jun-22 17:48:33

I don’t see the need and never had one in the kitchen or bedrooms one does me but it’s his house as much as it’s yours so I don’t really see how it’s ‘your way over his way’
Someone has to give in over this and why should it be him any more than you ?
If you have a long happy marriage why make a fuss you could always give in to the request but say not at eating times

Iam64 Tue 28-Jun-22 17:51:49

We had a small one fitted in the kitchen dining room when we extended. It’s rarely used. The radio is a good companion when cooking, ironing etc. tv is for the evening so far as im concerned

Pittcity Tue 28-Jun-22 17:52:19

We have just the one TV, which, at 39 inches is small by our AC's standards.
If we want to watch TV in another room we use a laptop or tablet and DS has 2 computer monitors so he can watch something while playing a game. We use these for music and radio too as well as Alexa.
No need for fixed radios or TVs any more.

AreWeThereYet Tue 28-Jun-22 17:56:46

We have one in the kitchen. I often have it on when I am cooking, ironing, or cleaning. It's when I catch up with things that I like but Mr A doesn't like (Sewing Bee, Strictly, some films, just about anything with dancing in). We occasionally watch it when we are eating or having coffee, we've just finished catching up with Springwatch. We don't watch live TV though.

kittylester Tue 28-Jun-22 18:05:53

We have one in the bedroom but don't watch it in the evening. We have 2 or 3 cups of tea in bed in the morning watching the news and chuntering!!

We have one in the upstairs sitting/ playroom too.

We talk all the time.

ElaineI Tue 28-Jun-22 18:10:43

We have a very very small one in the kitchen which I use when ironing or prepping food - if there is something on. There is one upstairs which DGC use on occasion for their screen time or grandson to watch football which is his best thing ever!

Visgir1 Tue 28-Jun-22 18:14:36

We do have TV's in bedrooms and the kitchen, but they don't get put on as much as you would think.
Also x3 Alexa's plus Radios scattered around. I like noise in the background but we still talk to each other.

I can remember doing my Homework laying on the floor with Radio 1 blaring in my ear.

Riverwalk Tue 28-Jun-22 18:18:32

I have only one TV and no need for another. But I see no harm in you having one in the kitchen if that what your husband wants - you don't have to have it turned on at all times, it's just there if needed!

ShazzaKanazza Tue 28-Jun-22 18:26:11

We have a wall mounted one in our kitchen diner and we love it we are in the room most of the day.
We go in the lounge in the evening so have one in there. I would get rid of the one in the bedroom though if I had my way.

Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 18:26:36

We have a small one in the kitchen, not on the wall, though.
I sometimes have it on while I’m cooking, and dh or I will now and then watch something in the kitchen, while the other watches something we have zero interest in, in the sitting room.
We use it for the radio, too. Saves cluttering up worktops with a radio - our kitchen isn’t very big.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Jun-22 18:27:11

we’ve always had just one TV in the house because I don’t like them around when we’re eating or in bedrooms.

Sounds to me it’s always been what you want, paddyann?

Perhaps not always what he has wanted though?

And now he has announced what he would like.

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-22 18:29:55

Your husband wants one so he must need one

ginny Tue 28-Jun-22 18:30:03

I suppose have the TV but make a rule that it is not on at meal times is the way to go to keep everyone happy. Sticking to the rule might not be very easy.

We have just one TV , 40 “ in the lounge/ living room. Quite big enough although I suspect DH would like a larger one. Personally I’d like a smaller one that could be put away when not in use. TV in the bedroom ( unless someone is poorly or bed bound) is a definite no.

DillytheGardener Tue 28-Jun-22 18:30:32

We have two flat screen televisions, but we don’t own laptops. Most nights dh watch tv in different rooms unless it’s something we both want to see, like death in paradise. I would say don’t get it, it’s very easy to just plug into televisions and forget to talk to each other .

H1954 Tue 28-Jun-22 18:35:18

We only have a TVin the lounge and in the office upstairs. I refused to have the one in the bedroom, OH had one there in his previous home, as I think bedrooms are for relaxing/sleeping and not for TV viewing.

Certainly wouldn't want one in the kitchen or dining room, eating is a social activity, why kill it with TV