Gransnet forums

AIBU

New John Lewis Partnership card refused

(50 Posts)
48and78 Mon 26-Sep-22 21:04:38

I have just completed an application form for a new John Lewis Partnership Card and have been refused. This has really upset me as I have been a loyal John Lewis customer all my adult life with an account for the last 40 years. Now I just don't want to know. I have gone right off them. AIBU?

NotSpaghetti Mon 29-May-23 15:57:20

Vanillasky

I've just received an email from John Lewis having been rejected previously.
We are writing to let you know that your Partnership Card held with John Lewis Financial Services Limited (a subsidiary of HSBC UK Bank plc) will be transferred to HSBC UK Bank plc on 27th June 2023.
Does this mean all those who were rejected are welcome back now anyone know?

Sounds to me that the are giving you one of their own HSBC ones.

M0nica Mon 29-May-23 15:39:46

Thanks, Pammie1, but for specific reasons, I would love to have a visa card that operates that way.

biglouis Mon 29-May-23 13:07:14

Mine is a Mastercard CC if that makes any difference.

biglouis Mon 29-May-23 13:05:40

I bank with Santander and HSBC so does anyone know if either of those banks have credit cards? I had never thought to ask

I bank with Santander. They have several credit cards on offer. Some are dependent upon the "type" of account you have with them.

Pammie1 Sun 28-May-23 12:46:03

MrsSquirrel

*Does this mean all those who were rejected are welcome back now anyone know?* I highly doubt it.

HSBC were the previous providers of the John Lewis card. The new providers are a company called New Day. If you were rejected for the new Partnership card, you were rejected by New Day.

It sounds like they are offering you an HSBC card. It won't be a Partnership card because HSBC do not work with John Lewis anymore. Do you want that?

I had a NewDay credit card via Amazon. Paid off the balance and closed it a while back when they hiked the interest rates. I was rejected by JLP after being with them for over ten years. I wonder if this is the reason.

Pammie1 Sun 28-May-23 12:43:33

M0nica

No, it means that the old JL card site, that was operated by HSBC, is completely shutting down and will cease to exist and any remaining card will be operated by HSBC.

As far as I know the old site and any cards are now defunct. Possible any that have not been transferred, but whose end date has not yet been reached maynominally still be open.

I was accepted by the new operator and I am more than happy with the way it works. In particular I do not have any online bank accounts, but can pay my card off each month online with my debit card. I have been looking for a visa account that operates in a similar way, but without success.

I have a Virgin Money card which allows online payments via debit card. It’s not Visa, though, it’s MasterCard.

Pammie1 Sun 28-May-23 12:40:39

I was rejected too, having been with them for over ten years. I had a look at my credit score on the ClearScore app and the results are perplexing.

When we came out of the pandemic we decided to do some home improvements, and spent on a couple of credit cards - including JLP - along with a loan for double glazing. I got an alert from ClearScore that I was approaching 50% utilisation of my total credit limit, and that if I exceeded that, my credit score would be impacted. Since then I’ve paid off most of it in preparation for retirement next year and I’ve cancelled the overdraft arrangement - the JLP card has had a nil balance since the beginning of this year.

Now I’m advised my score has been downgraded simply because I’ve lowered my credit utilisation so much. I can’t think of any other reason the JLP card was refused. So, damned if you do, damned if you don’t !!

M0nica Mon 22-May-23 20:30:35

No, it means that the old JL card site, that was operated by HSBC, is completely shutting down and will cease to exist and any remaining card will be operated by HSBC.

As far as I know the old site and any cards are now defunct. Possible any that have not been transferred, but whose end date has not yet been reached maynominally still be open.

I was accepted by the new operator and I am more than happy with the way it works. In particular I do not have any online bank accounts, but can pay my card off each month online with my debit card. I have been looking for a visa account that operates in a similar way, but without success.

MrsSquirrel Mon 22-May-23 13:06:27

Does this mean all those who were rejected are welcome back now anyone know? I highly doubt it.

HSBC were the previous providers of the John Lewis card. The new providers are a company called New Day. If you were rejected for the new Partnership card, you were rejected by New Day.

It sounds like they are offering you an HSBC card. It won't be a Partnership card because HSBC do not work with John Lewis anymore. Do you want that?

Vanillasky Mon 22-May-23 11:21:26

I've just received an email from John Lewis having been rejected previously.
We are writing to let you know that your Partnership Card held with John Lewis Financial Services Limited (a subsidiary of HSBC UK Bank plc) will be transferred to HSBC UK Bank plc on 27th June 2023.
Does this mean all those who were rejected are welcome back now anyone know?

NanKate Thu 27-Oct-22 17:24:07

Terry Thomas would have said.

‘What an absolute bloody shambles eh’, whilst twirling his moustache ?

westendgirl Thu 27-Oct-22 17:03:12

They new John Lewis card People were very quick to tell me how much I needed to pay and when for the first payment. They told me several times BUT I had not had a statement . I rang to point out their error and had to wait and wait.Not good .!

Devorgilla Thu 27-Oct-22 16:39:18

I decided to check my old Partnership card account to run off last two months' statements. I was paid up to date but saw two 'pending' transactions from Amazon St Louis USA. I phoned JL (old card) and asked what they were. The very helpful assistant explained that if I had my card on Amazon's site, and as it had now been blocked as closing, Amazon was checking the status of it. I was assured no illegal transactions had been tried. I have now removed the old card and replaced it with another credit card. It's worth checking your old account in case that same applies to you.

Yammy Thu 27-Oct-22 09:23:21

I got the new card after a morning on the computer refilling in forms they rejected, then after all the bombardment with wanting us to insure everything but next doors cat, I have decided to decline and not use it. I used my bank credit card for my last two purchases with them by just using the Use another card option.
The only drawback is I dealt with Jl account and now DH will see what I am spending on the bank monthly account.
I don't like the format of their online displays either they seem to get trashier by the month and less appealing I have used JL since I married in the 70's. My DH says the same and has sent a lot back because of poor quality and got bedding and towels from M&S.

Joseanne Thu 27-Oct-22 09:04:24

In the past few days I have been bombarded with this message, Remember your Partnership Card beginning 0000 is closing. It will stop working from 6pm on 31 October 2022. Search Partnership Card FAQs to find out more.
I have contacted JL 3 times about being rejected and they promised to sort it out. Sadly nothing has transpired.
I used the JL card for the last time in a shop yesterday, only because I had left my bank credit card by my computer at home. I chopped the JL up in disgust on my return home and promptly ordered my winter clothes from M & S using my new TSB credit card when previously I would have ordered all JL stuff on their card. Their loss.

DiamondLily Thu 27-Oct-22 04:32:25

NewDay, not NewSay.?

DiamondLily Thu 27-Oct-22 04:31:43

MoneyMail had a large article on this yesterday. I don't know why NewSay are taking this view, as they were quite and easy with Amazon credit cards.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-11352967/Rejected-John-Lewis-credit-card-despite-perfect-credit-scores.html

Anniel Wed 26-Oct-22 03:00:14

Found this thread interesting. I had difficulty after a long association with John Lewis. I changed my address and to add to the problem I am currently overseas. Why we could not swap straight onto the new card without all the hassle I do not know. Phone calls to UK cost a fortune and then my daughter had to FedEx the new card to me. I finally registered and successfully completed only today. I bank with Santander and HSBC so does anyone know if either of those banks have credit cards? I had never thought to ask.

NotAGran55 Thu 13-Oct-22 19:07:56

Well despite thinking we would be rejected I applied today and we were accepted instantly with the same credit limit.
It took 6 minutes and was a very simple process . Pleased to be getting the triple points during December and into January.

karmalady Wed 28-Sep-22 12:38:59

auntieflo yes, don`t use a debit card anywhere. This was what we were told at an actionfraud talk I attended. This is run with the police. I started using my cc everywhere when previously I would have used my debit card

I now have two credit cards, smile bank and halifax bank. I make sure to use my smile card every month so it remains live as a good back up

The policeman speaker said that a cc transaction is between bank and who you buy from, any fraud and the bank is responsible. A debit card gives someone open access to the bank account

karmalady Wed 28-Sep-22 12:33:05

I applied and was accepted but hated the clumpy site and cancelled my card and account. I then went onto my regular bank, halifax and immediately got a decision and a week later was up and running. Much better for me to see my cards and balances at the same time on halifax online

M0nica Tue 27-Sep-22 20:28:09

My sister had this problem. She lived in Lyme Regis. They were about 40 foot from the river and 30 feet above it.

kittylester Tue 27-Sep-22 19:38:06

MOnica, we also tried to insure our house with JL but we were turned down because we were too close to the river. We are, actually, quite close to the river as the crow flies. But, the river flows through the valley while our house is high up above.

grumppa Tue 27-Sep-22 14:43:03

Never underestimate the power of the Chairman's or Chief Executive's PA.

grumppa Tue 27-Sep-22 14:41:44

The more people complain to Dame Sharon, the more fed up her office will get, and the more they will try to do something about it without troubling her.