Gransnet forums

AIBU

Front door colours

(95 Posts)
BrandyGran Wed 05-Oct-22 16:42:50

A new house near me has finished the house with a green front door. A few days later the older house next door paints theirs the exact same colour
AIBU to think this is a bit rude?

Hithere Wed 05-Oct-22 20:03:53

I dont see the problem

Could it be a similar shade of green that looks identical?

Bellanonna Wed 05-Oct-22 21:04:00

Or did the second people to have a green door discuss it with the first? Maybe they were in agreement?

vegansrock Wed 05-Oct-22 21:35:15

We live on a crescent of 20 houses. We all have to have the same colour front doors.

Grayling1 Wed 05-Oct-22 21:51:29

Is imitation is the sincerest form of flattery meaning that when someone is trying to imitate what one does, owns, or thinks, it's a compliment to that person? I recently installed a new light green front door and have received a lot of compliments about my choice of colour (very different from any others) but it won't bother me if anyone else chooses the same.

Callistemon21 Wed 05-Oct-22 22:24:08

I like this!

nanna8 Wed 05-Oct-22 23:19:26

I think it would be quite nice to have matching front doors. Ours is just boring old natural ? wood. We never have to do anything to it which is good. Good old red gum.

Lucca Wed 05-Oct-22 23:49:01

GagaJo

Matching paintwork gives a street a neater look, IMO.

That’s what I thought too

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-Oct-22 00:09:01

My new next door neighbour has admired my front door colour. Hers was a fabulously bright yellow - ours was painted to match the window frames. I popped round yesterday to put some post through that had come to the wrong house and her door is now "my" colour blue!
I was surprised as she's painted all the window frames black only last month.

BlueBalou Thu 06-Oct-22 06:27:59

Mine’s French Navy, I don’t think anyone else on out small estate has blue so at the moment it’s easy to direct people here!
It wouldn’t bother me tuppence if my neighbours had the same colour ?

BlueBalou Thu 06-Oct-22 06:29:03

P.S. I wanted bright yellow NotSpaghetti, DH was appalled!

Aldom Thu 06-Oct-22 06:54:41

All our front doors are Oxford green.

M0nica Thu 06-Oct-22 07:00:48

i couldn't even tell you what colour my neighbour's front doors are. But I am sure in the past, I have chosen the colour I have painted our front door, as a result of seeing another front door, not necessarily a neighbours, painted the same colour.

Why should I restrict my choice of colours only to those the neighbours haven't used. In fact, that applies to everything. internal decor, cars, clothes, anything you can name. Why should I restrict my choices for fear of being called a copy cat?

Septimia Thu 06-Oct-22 09:16:00

I'm with you, Callistemon, the different coloured houses in places like Tobermory are what give such places their character.

If all the houses in a street are painted the same they look like council or housing association property. No individuality. I don't want to be the same as everyone else!

NotSpaghetti Thu 06-Oct-22 09:23:19

BlueBalou

P.S. I wanted bright yellow NotSpaghetti, DH was appalled!

It was truly beautiful and SO jolly. What could you possibly dislike about such a happy colour?

I don't mind that my neighbour has used "my" shade of blue. I suppose I might not have noticed if it hadn't been such a joy before!

henetha Thu 06-Oct-22 09:23:37

Multi coloured doors, and paintwork, look great I think.

grannyrebel7 Thu 06-Oct-22 09:30:17

I couldn't live with a green door or anything else green for that matter! I would be flattered if someone copied my choice of colour though.

Yammy Thu 06-Oct-22 09:58:33

Callistemon21

I like this!

Is it Tobermory? I like the look, in West Cumbria and parts of Galloway all the houses are painted in quite bright colours especially the ones near the sea, they look cheerful on a dull day.
We had dark green doors when we arrived and got rid of them anything green around here belongs to the Lowther Estate and we're certainly not part of them!!!! Mine at the moment are a mid-grey,
Copying is the biggest form of flattery.smile

Dickens Thu 06-Oct-22 10:08:07

I'm not sure why you think it's "rude"?

If you don't know the circumstances around the choice, how can you come to any conclusion?

Mollygo Thu 06-Oct-22 10:14:17

Possibly this harks back to the days when all council house doors were the same colour. The first thing people did when they bought their council house was change the front door so it didn’t look like their neighbours’ doors.

Yammy Thu 06-Oct-22 10:20:24

Mollygo

Possibly this harks back to the days when all council house doors were the same colour. The first thing people did when they bought their council house was change the front door so it didn’t look like their neighbours’ doors.

I can remember people doing that, and their front gates. or turning their garden into hard standing for the car they were very proud of.

Witzend Thu 06-Oct-22 10:20:45

I don’t see it as ‘rude’ - maybe they always liked that colour anyway.
We installed a new dark blue front door in our sole rental - one of just 2 Edwardian maisonettes with adjacent front doors. Within a short time the owners of the other had installed a very similar front door.

We didn’t see it as rude - they both looked very nice, and are certainly a lot sturdier than the original front doors, which a tradesman working nearby helpfully told me could very easily be kicked in by any halfway determined burglar. ?

annodomini Thu 06-Oct-22 10:33:48

I notice that it's the OP who thinks the imitation was 'a bit rude'. Wonder if the owner of the new house thinks. Who knows? The owner of the older house might have mentioned that they were going to paint their door and would like to know the name of the colour. When I had a new (green) door, I'd have been delighted if my neighbour had painted hers the same colour. However, she chose red.

M0nica Fri 07-Oct-22 08:39:35

Perhaps OP meant 'bad manners' rather than 'rude'. The two words can be interchangeable. If someone pushes in front of you in a queue they can be described as rude, or showing bad manners.

Dickens Fri 07-Oct-22 10:02:35

M0nica

Perhaps OP meant 'bad manners' rather than 'rude'. The two words can be interchangeable. If someone pushes in front of you in a queue they can be described as rude, or showing bad manners.

Or just 'bad etiquette'?

I think it depends on the nature of the original door owner. He / she could either be pleased or offended. So is it unreasonable to assume it's "rude"? The answer has to be 'yes'.

M0nica Fri 07-Oct-22 10:39:21

Neater, perhaps, but dull.