Gransnet forums

AIBU

Front door colours

(95 Posts)
BrandyGran Wed 05-Oct-22 16:42:50

A new house near me has finished the house with a green front door. A few days later the older house next door paints theirs the exact same colour
AIBU to think this is a bit rude?

paddyann54 Fri 07-Oct-22 10:44:27

When our house was built it was in the deeds that all doors and window frames had to be and stay brown .It means a uniform look but it doesn't bother me ,in fact I think its quite smart

BrandyGran Fri 07-Oct-22 11:22:50

Probably RUDE was the wrong word. Maybe INSENSITIVE unless they asked the new house people and they said go ahead. I just felt for the new build people as they probably have the colour some thought. After all they have spent thousands and to copy them seems INSENSITIVE to me.

Annaram1 Fri 07-Oct-22 11:29:06

My front door is bright yellow. So cheerful.

M0nica Fri 07-Oct-22 13:28:32

I am sorry BrandyGran, I do not even see it as insensitive. Each house owner should be free to paint their front door the colour of their choice, and it really doesn't matter whether someone else has chosen the same colour or something similar..

Doodledog Fri 07-Oct-22 13:30:38

I agree with M0nica. I have thought about this, and however hard I try to see an issue, I just can't. I couldn't even tell you what colour my neighbours' front doors are, never mind be pleased or annoyed about whether they are the same colour as mine.

Bellanonna Sat 08-Oct-22 09:03:27

Thoroughly agree with the last two posts. I still think it’s possible the second house mentioned it to the first, who were not at all bothered by their using the same colour paint. It seems like a non issue to me.

Esmay Sat 08-Oct-22 09:26:08

Is it the adjoining house ?
Some of my neighbours have agreed on the same new windows and doors .

Recently, quite a few of us have had built new sheds or offices in the garden .
We've all chosen Cuprinol willow or seagrass and it's been very popular for fencing and pergolas.
I don't recall , who began the craze .

Green has always been my favourite colour for interiors and clothes (!) as well .
I'm wearing my green nightie and I'm going out to lunch today and there's some green knitting wool in a charity shop , which appeals to me !

Wyllow3 Sat 08-Oct-22 09:32:45

I think it depends on the actual specific neighbourly dynamics.

On the one hand, it's a thumbs up to a great colour choice, in another case, yes, its a bit deliberately provoking.

dogsmother Sat 08-Oct-22 09:33:13

Lucky, it’s all plastic around here, yellowing white plastic.

grannypiper Thu 13-Oct-22 17:40:08

Nobody owns the paint colour, would you think it rude if both occupants used white ?

BrandyGran Thu 13-Oct-22 21:48:52

Good point Grannypiper! Do you know I hardly notice it now!

OxfordGran Sat 15-Oct-22 16:03:44

Avoid grey, from Mist to Pigeon, as it subliminally suggests that you are in negative equity. An upmarket Estate Agent in East Dulwich told us this, so it must be true.

Estate villages are uniform and tenants or owners have no say in the colour choice.

Green is restful, alludes to contentment and a calm interior.

Yellow doors say, optimistic sunny people live here.
Red doors say, you are now entering a hard hat area.
Blue doors say a man chose this colour
Black front doors are gloomy, uncompromising,
suggesting that you will not stay long, especially if
adorned with a number 10.
White doors are high maintenance and judder.
Brown doors are cloaked, concealing a warm burrow.
Purple doors are horrid.
Lemon coloured doors suck.
as do orange.
My favourite is Pelt, dark, shot, mystical,
although my own is faux oak, and very smart it is too

Iam64 Sat 15-Oct-22 16:09:40

Why does it matter that someone used the same colour paint on their front door? I just don’t see how it can be considered rude or insensitive. Especially when it’s not even your house brandygran

Zoejory Sat 15-Oct-22 16:19:51

I've been sat here for a few seconds trying to think what colour my front door is.

Elrel Sat 15-Oct-22 16:51:34

BrandyGran Don’t worry about this. It is possible that both house owners are happy with their green doors.

OxfordGran Sat 15-Oct-22 23:08:30

did anyone, reading the OP text, hear “Green Door” as in Frankie Vaughan (only we oldies will remember his high kicks, hat and cane) or more recemtly, apparently, Shakin’ Stevens ?

grandtanteJE65 Sun 16-Oct-22 12:36:14

BrandyGran

A new house near me has finished the house with a green front door. A few days later the older house next door paints theirs the exact same colour
AIBU to think this is a bit rude?

Yes, IMO, you are.

It is not rude to paint your front door the same colour as someone else. It is a compliment!

oodles Fri 21-Oct-22 13:25:56

Light vreyey green is a very popular color at the moment. I'd have had that color had it not been for visiting a new estate shortly before I chose the color and so many of them were that color or black. I thought I didn't want something that would date it so much, this is a composite door not one you would paint
Also next door have that color and I wanted it to be different
I went for dark blue, doesn't show the dirt and not quite as stark as black. Hope it will not date as much as willow green will. Or will it be the next in vogue colour

Grandmabatty Fri 21-Oct-22 13:29:45

I've just painted my front door sage green. I love it! I don't particularly like the door but it's really good quality and I can't afford to change it so painting it was the next best option. The surrounds are brown so it looks like a chocolate lime.

IrishDancing Mon 24-Oct-22 12:48:40

I’ve no idea what colour anybody’s door is in my road! Why would it matter?

HeavenLeigh Fri 04-Nov-22 10:11:17

It wouldn’t bother me, paint the front door in whichever colour you choose, personally green is not a colour I like, so I’d go for black, all the homes down our road have a variety of colours,

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Nov-22 10:30:22

Grandmabatty - I hope you have the chocolate-lime look elsewhere!

What colour are your window frames.. and any other woodwork?

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Nov-22 10:32:41

Thought some of you might not have seen this... a bit "off piste" but still about door colours:
www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-63459438.amp

MissAdventure Fri 04-Nov-22 10:43:44

smile
I like that.
We threatened to paint the exterior walls here a similar colour if the council didn't paint them after 20 odd years of waiting.

NotSpaghetti Fri 04-Nov-22 11:17:26

I like it too MissA