Gransnet forums

AIBU

Lounge Curtains

(32 Posts)
Glenfinnan Sat 19-Nov-22 08:59:09

Am I out of touch? Looking to replace my lounge curtains and have been quoted £2k for made to measured, fully lined curtains which company will fit. Windows are both patio window size …full length. I do like them BUT it does seem a lot of money!

Aveline Sat 19-Nov-22 11:57:41

We were needing curtains for five rooms and were prepared for some expense. We went to a fabric warehouse where the fabrics were displayed in long drops. It was actually really easy to choose as the ones we went for just 'spoke' to us. Luckily we both seem to have the same taste. They are all beautiful ten years on.
We have the same wall and floor colours and use the patterned fabric as the main decorative feature. No regrets.

MerylStreep Sat 19-Nov-22 12:06:34

This is the reason I went to curtain making classes years ago 😊

Hetty58 Sat 19-Nov-22 12:14:37

My expensive, made to measure ones didn't last very long - and cost a fortune in dry cleaning. They were heavy and awkward to pull as well. The bay windows are 3 metres wide and 2.5 tall, so a lot of fabric's involved. I replaced them with two (£60) pairs of Ikea Sanela velvet ones, along with their separate thermal liners. They're the right size, very cheap and look really good too!

NotSpaghetti Sat 19-Nov-22 13:29:16

Hetty* they look nice - and they are cotton velvet too.

Glenfinnan Sat 19-Nov-22 13:31:57

Thank you again for your advice…there is an 8 week wait for delivery… so hopefully I will be happy with them!

BigBertha1 Sat 19-Nov-22 13:35:00

It is terribly expensive to have nice curtains made but if you are going to love for years to come and not move house I'm sure they will be lovely. I have moved house a lot and will probably be moving again so I buy ready-made ones from Dunelm and have always been satisfied with the quality if not necessarily the choice.