Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU? Babysitting grandchild issues.

(46 Posts)
Js11 Tue 10-Jan-23 21:22:58

Hello all, smile

I'm a gran to a lovely 4 year old boy. I had him stay with us over Christmas and New Year for a few days to give my DS the chance to go out and relax. I love spending time with my grandson.

I live about an hour away by car from my DS, 26. I don't drive. I am single and live with my younger DS, 9 (There is 17 years between my children) My DS does drive but does not have a car at the moment. So any childcare has to be logistically organised via buses and trains. Which is very time consuming.

My DS asked me to look after my grandson this Sat as he and his wife have been invited out. However, I have plans on Sat. My youngest DS has his hobbies - football and then swimming. Then we are meeting his friend from school and the friends mum for lunch. Then we are going to the cinema at night.

I am a single parent. I have had zero child free days or nights since my DS was born 9 years ago. His father died. I have had very little support and struggled greatly at times. My DS, 26 has not bonded with his little brother and has not spent any 1 on 1 time with him.

I am looking forward to some child free time on Sat whilst my DS participates in his hobbies. Just reading the news, enjoying a coffee. That is all of the free time I get to myself every week as I work full time.

I am also looking forward to lunching with another adult and having adult conversation whilst my DS and his friend play.

I have just looked after my grandson for 5 days over Christmas and New Year. Which is really quite exhausting to do on my own with a 9 year old too. I live in a 4th floor flat. Taking a buggy up and down the stairs is not easy!

AIBU declining to look after my grandson this Sat? My DS has ignored me since I said I cant. He is not replying to my texts which is making me feel very guilty.

I don't know what to do. I don't want to fall out as it causes so much stress. What would you grans do?

Thanks in advance. smile

midgey Tue 10-Jan-23 21:29:12

Stick to your guns, you have other plans.

Urmstongran Tue 10-Jan-23 21:29:59

Sounds to me like your 26y old boy is all sweetness and light as long as things are going his way. But you already know this don’t you?

SueDonim Tue 10-Jan-23 21:34:19

‘No’ is a complete sentence.

I suspect your older DS’s silence won’t last - you’re too useful to him.

Enjoy your Saturday out!

Oldbat1 Tue 10-Jan-23 21:36:13

I definitely wouldn’t change my own plans. You could say you would happily do it another time with warning but just can’t this time.

JosieGc Tue 10-Jan-23 21:36:37

Stick to your guns (in a calm way to difuse any tension from your oldest) and dont feel guilty. It sounds like you help them out lots already and you have plans on this day.! Its quite short notice really.

Shelflife Tue 10-Jan-23 21:54:44

You have a 9 year old son to bring up and you work full time, don't feel guilty. You have done a lot for your GS and your elder son should be able to acknowledge you have a busy life - just as he does. You are both parents, does your 26 year old ever offer to help you with his young brother!?
Surely he should be trying to bond with his little brother? You are a busy Mum , do what you can for your elder son but don't do more than you feel you can . Enjoy your night out on Saturday!

Hithere Tue 10-Jan-23 21:55:36

May I ask where the mother of the child is?

Yanbu - he is his father, his responsibility

Madgran77 Tue 10-Jan-23 21:56:00

It is important that you make it clear now that you are not permanently available at their beck and call. Your son not answering texts - I expect he is cross, but that is no reason for you to feel guilty.

I think you need to ring him, say that you know it is disappointing for them but you do have other things arranged so on this occasion you can't help. Tell him it is best not to assume that you are free when making arrangements. Please don't be guilt tripped into changing your mind

Enjoy your well deserved time at the weekend flowers

Jaxjacky Tue 10-Jan-23 22:05:31

I wouldn’t ring him, do not feel guilty, you’ve said you can’t, fair enough. If they want a social life they should have others, maybe friends, who can sit as a reciprocal arrangement.
Enjoy your Saturday.

M0nica Tue 10-Jan-23 22:18:12

Think how disappointed your younger son will be to have all his plans for the day and spending time with you spoilt.

I suspect like many single mums, you over compensated for your situation and ended up running round after your children doing everything for them - and your eldest son still expects this, even though he is now grown up with his own family.

He needs to grow up and realise his mother is not his servant. So learn to say 'No' (with a smile) and tell him, that if he needs baby sitting he must check with you before he makes arrangements to go out.

Grammaretto Tue 10-Jan-23 22:19:36

I am sorry for you. Whatever you decide you will guilty!
DS1 shouldn't have asked you to babysit. Do they not have someone else to ask?
Her mother for example?

When our DC were young we had babysitting circles but I don't suppose people do that anymore. There's so much concern about child safety.

LOUISA1523 Tue 10-Jan-23 22:22:33

Hithere

May I ask where the mother of the child is?

Yanbu - he is his father, his responsibility

The mother is going for a night out with the father...its all in the OP

Ro60 Wed 11-Jan-23 02:15:54

You have plans.
Other babysitters can be sourced.
Your son has already had half his Christmas taken up. Now it's your turn.
Enjoy your weekend.
Your older son will sulk & try to make you feel guilty. Set the boundaries - he'll come round.

Grams2five Wed 11-Jan-23 06:23:35

I’d ignore his not
Answering and stick
To your guns.

lixy Wed 11-Jan-23 06:30:13

Say 'You had already made plans, not just for yourself but others too. You do not want to let other people down - or yourself of course. Sorry, can't do this Saturday, but happy another time with a bit more notice.'

You are not being unreasonable and have nothing to feel guilty about.

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 11-Jan-23 06:33:33

Enjoy your day with your 9 yr old. Don’t feel stressed.

In future it would be a good idea for them to ask you first, but don’t forget your 9 yr old also needs you at weekends.

So No YANBU

Spice101 Wed 11-Jan-23 06:34:11

In my opinion it would be very unreasonable of you to babysit your grandson in favour of taking your son to his activities as planned. Your elder son should be able to see this even if he has not bonded with his brother.

Smileless2012 Wed 11-Jan-23 09:18:46

No, you are not being unreasonable but by ignoring you, your son is.

I wouldn't try and contact him but wait for him to contact you. At 26 and a father of a 4 year old, you son needs to grow up.

Doodledog Wed 11-Jan-23 09:36:20

I agree with the others.

I would also add that you might want to reconsider getting into the habit of explaining why you can't babysit. 'That doesn't work for me, sorry' should be enough. The problem with explaining is that it allows the other party to try to 'solve' the problem for you, it can (unintentionally) come across as martyrdom, and most importantly it is none of their business.

Your son wants a night out - it's not as though he's asking you to cover whilst he has an operation . Your right to spend your own time as you wish is as important as his. Offer to do a swap - you look after his son one weekend, and he can look after yours the next?

pascal30 Wed 11-Jan-23 10:55:51

Doodledog

I agree with the others.

I would also add that you might want to reconsider getting into the habit of explaining why you can't babysit. 'That doesn't work for me, sorry' should be enough. The problem with explaining is that it allows the other party to try to 'solve' the problem for you, it can (unintentionally) come across as martyrdom, and most importantly it is none of their business.

Your son wants a night out - it's not as though he's asking you to cover whilst he has an operation . Your right to spend your own time as you wish is as important as his. Offer to do a swap - you look after his son one weekend, and he can look after yours the next?

I agree with Doodledog... get your son to take some responsibilty for his brother and behave reciprocally, he is now an adult. You are still young and deserve a fulfilling life for yourself. I hope you enjoy your day off and many more of them.!!!

1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 11-Jan-23 13:42:58

I think this is what tough love means.Our kids try to push the boundaries whatever their age.Stand firm.

Madgran77 Wed 11-Jan-23 13:44:52

I sort of agree regarding waiting for him to contact you. However if you think you would find it easier to feel in control of the conversation by ringing him, then that might be the best way forward for you. Only you can decide. If you do ring I would just acknowledge that it must be annoying for them as you are not available but that they cannot assume you are free, longer notice is needed and also maybe they need to build up some other babysitting possibilities as well as yourself. And a discussion about him looking after his brother occasionally would be a good one to!

Beautful Wed 11-Jan-23 15:02:48

Hard as it seems, ignor him , don't contact him at all, he will want you before you want him. You have your own life to lead & your young son ... hard as it seems ... ignor him ... he will definitely want you before you want him !

GrannyZoom Wed 11-Jan-23 15:12:58

Don't feel guilty, you have enough on your plate and they should not ask you.
Surely they have a local baby sitting group or friend they could ask.