Gransnet forums

AIBU

What to do with left over coleslaw?

(57 Posts)
kittylester Fri 20-Jan-23 07:07:05

Just that really.

I love coleslaw with somethings and buy a small tub most weeks but, almost inevitably, it goes out of date before it's all gone.

Any inventive ideas for the left overs please.

JaneJudge Sun 05-Mar-23 14:36:47

with quiche
jacket potatoes
on sandwiches
with pizza
with chicken or steak and chips

Grantanow Sun 05-Mar-23 14:33:12

Bin it unless you are going to eat the remainder straightaway.

dogsmother Sun 05-Mar-23 11:07:50

Interesting coleslaw recipes here. Best add what we always go for as it’s totally delicious.
Always onions carrots and celeriac with a dressing. Simple.

BlueBelle Sun 05-Mar-23 09:07:46

I also can’t see how you can’t eat a small tub in a week !
and it takes ages to go off I m like galaxys husband if it looks alright and smells alright it’s eaten

Galaxy Sun 05-Mar-23 09:01:21

Dh pretty much ignores all dates etc, the only time he was ill was after eating out of date coleslaw, he had also left it to ferment in a lunch box in the heat 🤢, he was quite ill.

travelsafar Sun 05-Mar-23 09:01:06

I love coleslaw with meals of fish fingers, fish of most kinds, salads, sandwiches, jacket potatoes and any breaded chicken dishes. I manage to use a tub each week. I just make sure I find the longest use by date. Aldi low fat for me.

M0nica Sun 05-Mar-23 08:39:41

Stand by the fridge and eat it with a spoon - a nice healthy snack.

Fleurpepper Sun 05-Mar-23 08:27:04

kittylester

What is this 'meals are planned' of which you speak? grin

LOL yes, some of us are not cut out for this! (can't do emoticons as I don't have square brackets on this keyboard!)

Fleurpepper Sun 05-Mar-23 08:12:37

M0nica

I would just eat it. Col slaw is safely edible for ages after the 'best by' date. The mayonnaise contains vinegar which is a preservative.

I dislike bought mayonnaise, it always has far too much mayonnaise or dressing or whatever it is.

I prefer col slaw French style, just enough dressing (often not even mayonnaise), to hold it together slightly and no more.

Same here- No worries about sbd for a few days if kept in fridge.

DanniRae Sun 05-Mar-23 08:10:12

I'm off to look for a coleslaw recipe! smile

SachaMac Sun 05-Mar-23 07:40:57

I finish any leftover coleslaw off as a snack spread on Ryvitas with laughing cow spread.

mumofmadboys Sun 05-Mar-23 07:35:28

I often add nuts to homemade coleslaw

crazyH Sat 04-Mar-23 23:33:30

I love coleslaw (especially the one with grated Red cheese) with everything

Zoejory Sat 04-Mar-23 23:13:33

I love coleslaw. With or without anything. Home made is best. M&S do a pretty good one. Never have any left over though!

tapestryfrog Sat 04-Mar-23 23:10:49

I actually add it to home made curry !

Grantanow Thu 09-Feb-23 09:38:49

If beyond use by date chuck it out!

Witzend Tue 24-Jan-23 11:02:27

Homemade coleslaw is something of a staple here, especially in winter - I’ve never found a shop version I like. White cabbage, onion, celery, carrot, apple (which all keep well) and only just enough mayonnaise to bind it.
Dh will always scoff any that’s left over!

swampy1961 Fri 20-Jan-23 20:03:48

Make some cheese on toast and then top with coleslaw! So good!!

Oreo Fri 20-Jan-23 14:54:32

MawtheMerrier

I think your first instinct - the kitchen bin- was the right one.

👍🏻
I wouldn’t trust it’s ok to eat after a short while.

OxfordGran Fri 20-Jan-23 14:49:40

bin it

Blossoming Fri 20-Jan-23 11:30:58

Ladyleftfieldlover

Sorry, I would chuck it straight in the bin! I am always reminded of a particularly grim Spike Milligan anecdote when I see the word coleslawsad

Same here, I can’t stand the stuff.

CraftyGranny Fri 20-Jan-23 11:14:53

If making your own, it's a good idea to keep the prepared veg in a tupperware container and add the mayo as needed. It keeps longer too.

Gin Fri 20-Jan-23 11:06:51

I love it and always make my own as It tastes so much nicer and even I can make it! I hate onions in it but love grated apple. Any left over Is gone by the next day as I keep dipping a spoon in I am ashamed to say. We have it as a side dish to so many dishes.

maytime2 Fri 20-Jan-23 10:13:10

I find that the "economy " range of coleslaw lasts longer that the dearer one. I think this is because it has less mayonnaise in it , which is the main cause of it going off.
I bought a beetroot coleslaw in M&S last year and paid over £2 for it. When I looked at the ingredients I realised I could make it myself for a lot less.
Grate cooked beetroot, an apple and some red cabbage. Mix together with mayonnaise and a tsp of horseradish sauce. I usually make it in the summer and it is delicious.

Norah Fri 20-Jan-23 09:33:27

We make coleslaw with a dab tahini and a bit of vinegar, no dairy or mayo. I make veg and cabbage soups to use up coleslaw.