Gransnet forums

AIBU

Would you mind if photos of work done in your house were put online.

(74 Posts)
Doodledog Mon 06-Feb-23 21:07:37

We've had some work done on the house (cosmetic stuff like decorating and built-in furniture) all by local businesses.

I have now realised that they have all taken photos of their work and put them on their (separate) social media pages without asking me or saying anything about it.

AIBU to be annoyed? They are before and after shots of my house, and I was unaware that they were being taken and that they were going to be posted online. I knew that the companies used this sort of marketing, as I checked them out before employing them, and there is no indication that it is Doodle Towers that is in the photos, just 'This is some furniture that I fitted in Hometown', sort of thing, but anyone who knows me will recognise that it's my house, and there are things like books on the shelves and ornaments on the mantelpiece that can be seen.

I feel uncomfortable about it, but I don't know whether to ask them to take the photos down, as it's a fairly normal way of showing off their skills and giving future clients ideas about what they can do. So far, all the comments have been positive, but I would have been really upset if someone had made unsolicited negative comments, which could happen. I would have been much happier if I'd been asked, and had signed off on what was being shown of my house.

What do you think?

crazyH Mon 06-Feb-23 23:08:22

I wouldn’t mind but no one would want photos of my disorganised, untidy house 😫 except on a Thursday

TwiceAsNice Mon 06-Feb-23 23:08:27

I would be VERY annoyed, it’s different if you had given permission. I think it’s really rude of them

Mollygo Mon 06-Feb-23 23:14:13

I’d be annoyed and thanks for the warning. We plan to have kitchen doors replaced but I’ll say no photos before we start.

Chestnut Tue 07-Feb-23 00:22:10

I've just spotted this thread. Wow! No they should not be showing pictures of your property without written permission. I would be FURIOUS especially if as you say they showed personal possessions that could identify your house. It's too late now to get permission or offer you discounts, the damage has been done. So I would just tell them to remove them. Just to make it clear this is not acceptable behaviour.

CocoPops Tue 07-Feb-23 02:40:03

I consider it an invasion of your privacy.
Personally I ask for the photos to be taken down.

FannyCornforth Tue 07-Feb-23 04:53:01

Yes. I’d definitely be annoyed. They definitely should have asked, and I’d be surprised that they didn’t know this.

My dog was used in a dog groomer’s website.
Should they have asked me, do you think?
I was slightly miffed that she didn’t ask.

tickingbird Tue 07-Feb-23 05:16:31

Wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. As long as there’s nothing to identify the owner why get cross?

FannyCornforth Tue 07-Feb-23 05:22:12

It’s a cheek not asking though, don’t you think?

Joseanne Tue 07-Feb-23 06:53:01

We have just had a new kitchen installed and were asked if they could use photos for their portfolio. Apparently it is the first time they have fitted this particular colour and design. We were quite happy, even though it would be identifiable to those who know us. I'm not sure how I would have felt if they hadn't asked, probably a bit miffed but not enough to complain.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Feb-23 08:48:18

I would be very cross.
I would call them and ask for them to be removed.

I have allowed tradespeople to have photos of interesting work to show clients on a one-by one basis but specifically said not online. They are all happy about this.

I had one really excellent tiling job done which involved cutting reverse curves and actually sent him a good photo later on as the light wasn't good when he finished. I had another though who I "caught" taking photos. I looked through them on his phone, let him keep them but said "no" to putting them online.
I was quite annoyed even though I caught him.

I would not want before/after images even for their own records.

sodapop Tue 07-Feb-23 08:48:19

I agree with Doodledog it's the principle of the thing, it would have been a matter of courtesy to ask the home owner first. Not sure how this stands with data protection either. I would be most annoyed too if it happened to me.

tickingbird Tue 07-Feb-23 08:57:25

I can’t understand why people get so worked up over such small matters. It puts me in mind of those that spend thousands on court cases because they believe the neighbour’s encroached 2 inches over a boundary. It’s so territorial and possessive. If a tradesman’s carried out work to a high standard and wants to take a few pictures to help his business what’s the problem? I agree there should be nothing identifying in the pictures and yes, I suppose it’s better to ask but from the sounds of it most of you would refuse anyway and ‘data protection’? Really??

Marydoll Tue 07-Feb-23 08:59:16

I would be annoyed. They should have asked for your consent. If it were photos of you, it would be a breach of GDPR regulations. I don't know if it would apply to your home.

Not quite the same, but our church services are live streamed, so anyone can see people at Mass.

Due to GDPR regulations, we have notices around the church, reminding parishioners that services are being live streamed. streamed.

Grammaretto Tue 07-Feb-23 09:15:09

They really should have asked you for permission and explained how the photos would be used.
You have me worried now. I've had a lot of work done by local trades. Have they photos of my house?, I have never checked.shock

I once had a filthy carpet professionally cleaned. It was not a fitted one. They took photos of it and took it away. It came back transformed so they asked if before after pictures could be used. I agreed but never saw them. My old carpet was obviously a step too far gone to attract customers.
The same when my old steel bath was restored.

ParlorGames Tue 07-Feb-23 09:30:11

No, I wouldn't like it either. They should all have asked your permission, even before taking the photos let alone posting them online. This is a huge invasion of your privacy despite nothing identifiable being evident.
Politely ask them all to remove all the photos....if they comply then no harm done, if they don't then threaten with legal action. They know they are in the wrong.

Doodledog Tue 07-Feb-23 09:32:03

tickingbird

I can’t understand why people get so worked up over such small matters. It puts me in mind of those that spend thousands on court cases because they believe the neighbour’s encroached 2 inches over a boundary. It’s so territorial and possessive. If a tradesman’s carried out work to a high standard and wants to take a few pictures to help his business what’s the problem? I agree there should be nothing identifying in the pictures and yes, I suppose it’s better to ask but from the sounds of it most of you would refuse anyway and ‘data protection’? Really??

I'm really not 'so worked up' grin. I've described my feelings as 'uncomfortable', 'unsettled' and 'a bit annoyed'. Even allowing for traditional British understatement, I don't know where you get the idea that it's akin to spending thousands on a court case over 2 inches of boundary. I just wondered if others would feel irritated by it, or agree with my husband (and you) that it's harmless. It seems the jury's still out.

Grammaretto, there is a trend on Instagram for videos of people cleaning up rugs. I don't know how to search to find a link (they just pop up randomly on Facebook reels), but they are fascinating. I'm sure yours wasn't as bad as the ones they use, which are black rectangles until the cleaners squirt them with soap and wash them down to reveal the pattern underneath. They are filmed outside (or in a warehouse-type place) because of the gallons of water that are needed to clean them.

ETA here is a short one on YouTube grin

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk-M50PJJDw

SachaMac Tue 07-Feb-23 09:32:16

I can understand that they want to show off & promote their work but they should have asked you first. Luckily you haven’t got any family photographs on display. I would definitely ask for it to be taken down if you had. Maybe they are careful not to include anything too personal. I wouldn’t be happy about the way they have been so sneaky posting without your permission.

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 09:42:05

I would have expected to be asked and then probably removed anything that identified me if I wanted to say yes. We were asked by the kitchen fitters if they could take before and after photos of a refit and decided no. I have also asked for photos to be removed from a photographer's window of a wedding when we had not been asked.
When selling a house we are asked and usually remove personal objects that would identify it but the address is there anyway.
They have not been professional.

toscalily Tue 07-Feb-23 09:43:48

I would be very annoyed too, they should defiantly have asked your permission first. It is the presumption by so many that everyone is quite comfortable having pictures taken and put online for everyone to see. I agree that it is probably a good idea to let them know how you feel and that it is not good business practice going forward to do this without asking first, it could make some of their older clients feel quite vunerable.

luluaugust Tue 07-Feb-23 09:49:41

They should have asked, we allowed some photos of the revamped small bathroom to go on the Company's website but that was it.

MissChateline Tue 07-Feb-23 10:01:49

During lockdown I had a huge kitchen renovation completed with everything stripped back to the brickwork and chimney breast removed. This involved at least 15 tradesmen. I was incredibly lucky because so many people were cancelling work as they didn’t want people in the house. The chap who project managed the work was able to employ the best of every trade from plasterers, gas engineers, joiners and kitchen fitters. They did a fantastic job which took several months. I was so happy with the end result that I encouraged anyone who wanted to to use photos of their work and that I would be happy to supply testimonials.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:21:44

Yammy

I would have expected to be asked and then probably removed anything that identified me if I wanted to say yes. We were asked by the kitchen fitters if they could take before and after photos of a refit and decided no. I have also asked for photos to be removed from a photographer's window of a wedding when we had not been asked.
When selling a house we are asked and usually remove personal objects that would identify it but the address is there anyway.

A professional photographer will own the copyright to photographs so it is different to this case.
You may have been shown samples of other wedding photographs before deciding to choose that particular one.

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:22:35

They are before and after shots of my house, and I was unaware that they were being taken

Therein lies the difference.

Yammy Tue 07-Feb-23 10:51:07

Callistemon21

Yammy

A professional photographer will own the copyright to photographs so it is different to this case.
You may have been shown samples of other wedding photographs before deciding to choose that particular one.

He was a personal friend of the family and did not ask permission and don't laugh he confessed on our wedding day after everything was signed and sealed he did not have a film in his camera.!!!
We had to do all the chapel bit again. DH being just as he is now said loudly action replay without an audience, which lightened what had been a very tense situation.
The photographer then put photos in part of a local shop window without asking us most of which he had not taken himself, so I phoned him and told him as we were the joke of the small town I lived in to get them out. He obliged and was forever known as "the man with no film ".grin

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:53:02

Oh dear!!