Gransnet forums

AIBU

Over Cautious Sales Assistant

(62 Posts)
Witzend Fri 14-Apr-23 08:18:33

Riverwalk

I too hate to see knife blocks - the way they sit there with the handles ready to grab either by a burglar or a person in a rage.

Me too. I hate the things.

Marydoll Fri 14-Apr-23 08:16:24

There is advice online, how to dispose of knives responsibily. If disposing in the bin, you must wrap securely in newspapers.
I had to do this recently, when I decide to clear out the many, which were lurking in drawers.

The assistant was only doing, what the law requires.
I bought a set of Ninja knives online recently and had to give my DOB, when they were delivered.

Georgesgran Fri 14-Apr-23 08:08:57

Some years ago we were having a new kitchen fitted. I’d had a sort out of pots and pans and found myself with a bagful of unwanted knives - some quite lethal looking.
I took them to the City Police Station where the bemused Desk Officer inspected the bag and told me to take them home and put them in the bin. Wonder if I’d get the same response today?

Katie59 Fri 14-Apr-23 07:35:09

Knife blocks are too prominent in kitchens, it’s too convenient and vulnerable to being grabbed in the heat of the moment. We used to have one carving knife and one paring knife now we have a dozen.

Redhead56 Fri 14-Apr-23 07:29:39

I like all gadgets to do with the kitchen I have many kitchen knives. I was questioned the reason for purchase in a trendy cook shop in Chester.
In our larger local stores it’s getting more difficult to buy decent chef knives. I looked online to buy a chef knife there is age verification required.

Riverwalk Fri 14-Apr-23 07:18:24

I too hate to see knife blocks - the way they sit there with the handles ready to grab either by a burglar or a person in a rage.

Riverwalk Fri 14-Apr-23 07:15:36

Probably not a joke - maybe under the law the assistant has to take reasonable steps not to sell to someone who could be vulnerable, anxious, drunk, not fit, etc.

Coincidentally just the other day I bought a new carving knife and fork at Peter Jones. Those on display are behind glass and the assistant got them from the stock room and accompanied me to the till to pay - I wasn't allowed to put them in my basket and continue to browse before paying.

He said once I'd paid the store would no longer be responsible for the knife.

BlueBelle Fri 14-Apr-23 06:18:21

I would imagine that was a joke squirrelsue but shop keepers do have to be incredible careful
Even in the charity shop we can’t sell knives (other than dinner knives) and even scissors have to be in a glass cabinet you can’t sell anything sharp on EBay I tried to sell a tiny very old pair of tiny sewing scissors a while back but not allowed

glammanana Fri 14-Apr-23 06:08:32

welbeck

they should really be kept behind the counter, not on open shelves for people to just pick up.
some local authorities visit stores to request that they do this, and in my experience they were keen to comply.
re the OP, that asst may have had some history with knife crime, whether personal or from the store.
this would make it more of an issue for her.
it does no harm to address the issue.
i hate to see knife blocks in domestic kitchens; i think they should be kept out of sight in drawers.

So true welbeck I know a shop owner who was threatened with a knife and she has never got over it to this day.

welbeck Fri 14-Apr-23 04:43:04

they should really be kept behind the counter, not on open shelves for people to just pick up.
some local authorities visit stores to request that they do this, and in my experience they were keen to comply.
re the OP, that asst may have had some history with knife crime, whether personal or from the store.
this would make it more of an issue for her.
it does no harm to address the issue.
i hate to see knife blocks in domestic kitchens; i think they should be kept out of sight in drawers.

FannyCornforth Fri 14-Apr-23 03:58:14

I’m sure that she was joking

SquirrelSue Fri 14-Apr-23 03:26:58

I live in a small town with low crime. I went to my local independent kitchenware shop to buy a 6 inch carving knife. I got to the payment desk and the 50+ sales assistant stared at me and said, "now you're not going to go outside and start stabbing people with it are you?". I immediately said, no. She gave me a hard stare and asked me again! To which I replied, certainly not. She then sold me the knife, which was sealed in a thick plastic cover, the knife handle had a cable tie attached to thick cardboard. I'm 60 years of age with white hair and dressed smart, so obviously over the minimum age of 25 to buy a knife. Was the sales assistant expecting me to say, yes!