Gransnet forums

AIBU

Further to wearing shoes indoors...

(90 Posts)
CanadianGran Fri 14-Apr-23 21:04:44

If you wear shoes indoors, when do you put them on, and then take them off? Where do you keep them?

We don't wear indoor shoes, so all shoes are kept in the closet by the front door, other than dressy shoes which are in our bedroom closet.

I do wear slippers, stored either in the bedroom or front closet.

If you do wear shoes all day inside, what about when you put your feet up in the evening... shoes on the couch or ottoman?

yogitree Sat 22-Apr-23 10:53:13

My Japanese piano teacher has a large piece of cardboard on the floor under the indoor mat. When entering you are required to step on the mat and remove your shoes to the cardboard before stepping on the carpet. Upon leaving you have to balance on the cardboard while trying to step into your shoes. This is a bit difficult for me as my balance is 'off'. At home, we have shoe cupboard by the door and always have indoor footwear ready for our return. Back door has outdoor shoes at the ready so can slip of our indoor footwear easily
before entering the (sometimes muddy) back garden.

Granmarderby10 Sat 22-Apr-23 10:35:28

Crocs are extremely comfortable though aren’t they PinkCosmos even though they look ugly,
I had some (from Tatton Flower Show) called “The Back Door Shoe” more like a closed toe mule, they had wacky designs on; Mine had daisies all over.
They are so much more supportive than any slipper which is why those who value comfort over fluffy slipper appeal stick with them.

PinkCosmos Fri 21-Apr-23 15:31:23

I wear the original style crocs in the house, with ankle socks if it is cold.

I would go out in the garden and back in them if it wasn't muddy

We have some hard floors. It makes my feet ache if I walk around barefoot.

If I put my feet up on the sofa I would take my crocs off.

I don't ask visitors to take their shoes off but am happy if they do.

DH is a nightmare and regularly walks in wearing his outdoor shoes and keeps them on for ages. He also wear crocs as slippers.

StoneofDestiny Fri 21-Apr-23 15:15:49

luckygirlthree - why not carry shoe covers around - problem solved?
Heck of a lot quicker popping those on than the householder cleaning up all manner of street mess from floors and carpets.

StoneofDestiny Fri 21-Apr-23 15:11:39

Shoes off at the door and put in a basket. Dressy shoes upstairs in original boxes. Slippers are at the door so I put them on or just go round barefoot. I've got pale carpets throughout (no pets or small children) and don't fancy muck or wet on them. I have a long handled shoe horn next to the door to help anybody who needs one.
Cannot imagine feeling comfortable with outdoor footwear on all day.

Norah Sun 16-Apr-23 14:34:23

Callistemon21

Norah

Luckygirl3

Norah - they look great - how would I do up the laces??!!

Stretch laces, always done up.

That's what I do. Amazon.

But how do you tighten them up to be firm and supportive?

I can see the podiatrist shaking her head already 😁

How the laces work is a mystery, but they work for me. I suppose one buys Chuck's & stretchy laces - finding out if it works?

For me - very foot friendly, supportive solution - not slippers.

Fleurpepper Sun 16-Apr-23 14:16:46

Kalu

I do take my mucky wellies off at the door. Surely that’s a given in any household?

Well yes, another story altogether- or mucky anything.

Callistemon21 Sun 16-Apr-23 11:02:02

Kalu

I do take my mucky wellies off at the door. Surely that’s a given in any household?

And any mucky trainers or boots.

Going from house to car in a pair of clean shoes, then from car to house is different from tramping all over the floor, dropping mud everywhere.

Aveline Sun 16-Apr-23 09:16:12

District nurses and carers must waste so much time 'respecting' people's carpets!

Franbern Sun 16-Apr-23 08:48:46

I have shoe horn in my handbag. So, when I visiting someone, I always take off my outdoor shoes at the front door, then find somewhere to sit to put on my slippers which I carry with me when visiting. As I use a mobility scooter, my outdoor shoes are unlikely to carry much dirt on their soles, but I would no more think of keeping on my outdoor shoes when in someones home, than I would of keeping on my outdoor coat/jacket..

I also have a couple of overshoes in my bag, which can be used if I visit someone without knowing I was going to do that.

Kalu Sun 16-Apr-23 08:24:01

JackyB Sun 16-Apr-23 07:12:39

I am still trying to understand the different between "indoor shoes" and "slippers". Sounds like you would be constantly changing from one to the other.

I have now realised that we and our direct AC and their families all change into slippers at the door, but we have laminate and tiles all over downstairs and people we don't know so well are not asked to remove shoes. DGD's other grandad was here to pick her up the other day and they'd never been here before - I didn't even think about shoes, as I was busy with coffee and taking their coats.

LRavenscroft Sun 16-Apr-23 06:43:52

For me, it is not so much that you take your shoes off but that you consider where you have been before you enter my house. So, if you have been for a long hike on a muddy winter's day and then come in for a cuppa, I would expect you to remove your boots/stout shoes out of respect for entering my home. If however, it is a fine day and the ground is dry and your shoes are everyday wear, I would not expect you to take your shoes off. Elderly relatives/friends who have trouble bending to take off their shoes won't, most probably, not have been out hiking/walking in pooey areas and so won't be bringing in all sorts of dogs'/cow/horse/field deposits into my living areas. It is also about having manners from the guests as well as setting an example by showing a shoe rack/corner on entering your home. I am not obsessive but do respect my and other people's daily living areas.

Granmarderby10 Sun 16-Apr-23 03:36:32

Ban all light coloured carpets. Problem solved.

MrsKen33 Sun 16-Apr-23 02:59:07

In our area it is the done thing to ask when you visit someone, ‘Shoes off?’. They can then say yes or no. In my experience most say yes, and anyone going for a long stay takes slippers. One lady I know who had difficulty removing her shoes takes reusable over shoes.

Kalu Sat 15-Apr-23 22:33:30

I would never ask anyone to take their shoes off before entering our home. Nor have I ever been asked to remove my own when visiting.
Goodness, would you ask dinner guests to remove their shoes if wearing certain shoes to complement their outfit?
I can only imagine the look from friends and family if this was a prerequisite to visit us!

Mollygo Sat 15-Apr-23 22:11:04

BS I’m glad your olds manage.
My mum struggles to get up steps and my Dad was an amputee, so at our old house, (no vestibule) it’s just as well I’d let them in with shoes on.

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 21:43:44

Wow, sarcastic much, Aveline? I did point out that was their choice - and they would do the same no matter whose house they were visiting. To them, it was just a case of good manners.

Aveline Sat 15-Apr-23 21:32:15

Oh well as long as your carpets were all right that's fine. 😑

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 21:19:52

Well Mollygo, if you'd read my earlier comment, you'd have seen how my very elderly and rather frail in-laws managed when they came to visit us. They would simply take off their outdoor footwear in our vestibule (unprompted by us, I hasten to add) then come into the living room, sit down and put on their slippers. I'd be more than happy to make any necessary allowances for anyone who was struggling in any way.

Mollygo Sat 15-Apr-23 21:08:29

May I just ask of all those who expect guests, friends or family to remove their shoes, how do you treat/ will you treat in the future, those unable to bend, or unsteady on their feet or unable to remove shoes or put on slippers whilst standing?
We’re lucky. We have a vestibule with a seat for removing our hiking boots, which could be used by any guests wishful of removing their shoes.
Do you all have an area like that, or do your visitors have to struggle outside the door, before they’re allowed in?
What do you do if you don’t have an entrance like that?

Luckygirl3 Sat 15-Apr-23 18:05:15

Aveline

Mollygo and Luckygirl3 you are both welcome to visit me. No need to change your shoes or hang about on the doorstep.

Put the kettle on - I'm on my way!

Callistemon21 Sat 15-Apr-23 17:54:05

Thank you Aveline
I can bring 🥂🍾, not 🍷 in case I spill it 😲

Blondiescot Sat 15-Apr-23 17:53:32

Mollygo

Blondiescot

Luckygirl3, I understand that it can be more difficult for some people than others, and I'm not having a go here, just genuinely curious - what would you do if you went to someone else's house and they had a 'no shoes indoors' rule?

Not visit, just chat on the doorstep. That’s easy. Fortunately none of my friends and acquaintances would expect me to do that. I guess I wouldn’t be welcome at several GN’s houses.

Fortunately my family and friends would automatically take their shoes off when they arrived at my house, as would I at theirs.

Aveline Sat 15-Apr-23 16:37:54

Of course you're welcome Callistemon no need for additional footwear.