Gransnet forums

AIBU

Shaving

(48 Posts)
ExDancer Tue 02-May-23 18:31:50

After years and years of wet shaving my DH has bought himself an electric shaver - fine, that wasn't a problem.
But having taken it out of the box on the kitchen table and playing around with its various gadgets and attachments he's now started leaning on the counter and shaving whilst looking out of the window!
Today I suggested it wasn't exactly hygienic to shave over the counter where I prepare food, and he's taken this as a huge insult and stopped speaking.
Am I being unreasonable?
The thought of tiny hairs scattered around the kitchen make my skin crawl.

Elegran Thu 04-May-23 14:57:39

After the next time he does it, get a piece of sellotape and use it to pick up the hairs on the counter. Lay that beside his plate. He probably thinks the shaver fairy takes them away.

Bessieb Thu 04-May-23 15:38:19

I agree with Coco51. A sprinkling of whiskers over his dinner should put a stop to it 🤣

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 04-May-23 15:42:19

Yuk, he is being totally unreasonable.

madeleine45 Thu 04-May-23 15:44:28

Simple . Prepare no food in the kitchen as long as he continues in his unsavoury habits. A few days of buying in food or going out for meals will show him you mean business. shouldnt last too long

ParlorGames Thu 04-May-23 15:46:15

I think I would be tempted to scoop up all the little whiskery hairs and dump them on his next meal!

cariad25 Thu 04-May-23 15:50:13

midgey

The silent treatment would simply compound my fury! It is so childish.

Something that so many men seem to be able to carry off to a T and with great relish! When he was younger my husband used to do this and it made me even more furious as it seemed so immature and petty!

Ziplok Thu 04-May-23 16:22:47

Well I’ve just asked my DH what he thinks and his reply was words to the effect that he thought your DH was being very unhygienic. (A bit more strongly worded, I’m afraid). His screwed up expression also emphasised his disgust. He also suggested you scoop them up and dress his next meal with them 😱.

Ali08 Thu 04-May-23 16:41:54

Theexwife

Serve him some food with a scattering of his clippings in it.

This, definitely!!

4allweknow Thu 04-May-23 16:43:18

Is it battery operated? If so I'd be taking the batteries out. If electric via a socket lose the cable (well, hide it away somewhere). Would also confiscate all the wet shaving stuff so he doesn't have a back up. You are not being unreasonable.

kwest Thu 04-May-23 17:35:43

Your husband is disgusting.

rowyn Thu 04-May-23 17:40:08

ExDancer

After years and years of wet shaving my DH has bought himself an electric shaver - fine, that wasn't a problem.
But having taken it out of the box on the kitchen table and playing around with its various gadgets and attachments he's now started leaning on the counter and shaving whilst looking out of the window!
Today I suggested it wasn't exactly hygienic to shave over the counter where I prepare food, and he's taken this as a huge insult and stopped speaking.
Am I being unreasonable?
The thought of tiny hairs scattered around the kitchen make my skin crawl.

NO!

Yammy Thu 04-May-23 18:27:18

Tell him that if a neighbour sees him doing it they will think he is losing it.

tictacnana Thu 04-May-23 18:39:05

In my experience , the more it irks you - the more he will do it. My late partner had some really annoying and downright dirty habits that caused him great delight in demonstrating at every opportunity. Get your own back in some small secret way and don’t say anything about the shaving. It’s quite satisfying and he should , eventually, stop doing what he’s doing when he doesn’t get a reaction from you. It IS like dealing with a stubborn child. I was a teacher for 40 years so I know. Good luck!

LRavenscroft Thu 04-May-23 20:42:54

Do you have a patio, bench or attached garage where he could walk around shaving himself? Sounds as if he likes to look at nature whilst shaving which is what my dad used to do.

icanhandthemback Thu 04-May-23 20:50:22

He probably feels a bit silly because he hadn't thought about that aspect of his shaving. Hopefully he will desist and come out of his sulk but will take what you say on board.

Sooze58 Thu 04-May-23 21:44:52

Wait until he cleans it and blows all the clogged clippings out - I remember my dad doing that when I was a child- hated it!!

Dickens Fri 05-May-23 01:30:54

My OH has a habit of washing his hands at the kitchen sink - fair enough, we have soap and hand towel nearby - but he frequently doesn't use the soap, just rinses his hands under the tap and then dries them on the towel. Or, whilst his hands are still wet, he runs them over his hair to flatten it down - and then dries them on the towel.

Consequently - I can't use the damned hand towel and have bought kitchen paper to use as an alternative.

I can't make him understand that not only is it off-putting... it's unhygienic.

Do men not understand about bacteria?

HiPpyChick57 Fri 05-May-23 05:12:29

I would say nothing more on the matter but make him a pile of sandwiches in the exact place he shaves. The hairs will stick to the bread and should prove your point when you give them to him hairy side up!
If you kept giving him food coated in his facial hair maybe the penny would drop.
The childish old b@?$t@?d

singingnutty Fri 05-May-23 08:29:20

Oh my goodness- not being unreasonable at all. Difficult to deal with a man who thinks he is being ‘dictated’ to though. DH doesn’t shave much because he has a beard but it has taken me quite a while to get him not to trim it in front of the wardrobe mirror so all the little hairs drop on the carpet - usually immediately after it has been vacuumed. As for cutting his toenails sitting on the edge of the bed so bits end up on the previously mentioned carpet …….!

ExDancer Fri 05-May-23 11:17:54

There are no hairs as such from a dry shaver, just a kind of dust, and you can hardly see it. Scattering it on his food might give me satisfaction but he wouldn't notice it.
However, the shaver has disappeared from the kitchen to the bathroom so I'm assuming once he'd recovered from his sulk over being called unhygienic, he's taken it on board, although I haven't seen him actually use it since.
I was pretty scathing in the language I used because the thought of him doing that made me feel like being literally sick. His family have always used the childish 'silent treatment' to get their own way or to punish each other, he's not going to change now although he's better than he was.

I sympathise with Dickens over the hand rinsing because he does that too. That's partly why I jumped on this new habit right away before it became 'normal'. We now have two hand towels in the kitchen, a dark navy one for him and a nice yellow one for me.
It surprises me to see people (including chefs on tv) using a tea-towel as a hand towel, have you noticed this? But that's a whole new topic to post.

timetogo2016 Wed 12-Jul-23 13:39:51

You are not being unreasonable at all
Shave your armpits over his side of the bed especially when he`s in it,he will soon get the picture.

Shellie80 Mon 24-Jul-23 16:27:06

Oh noooo! That’s grim!