Gransnet forums

AIBU

Doctor’s appointment.

(107 Posts)
Nandalot Wed 03-May-23 13:59:44

Firstly, I must state that my surgery are very good but I was irritated over the past couple of days about the inability to arrange an appointment except by the internet. I was at the surgery for a routine blood test yesterday and the doctor has asked that I make an appointment for a few days later. There was no queue at reception but instead of being able to book the appointment in person then, I was told I had to book it online. I have had to set up a special email for my doctor’s account as I usually share my DH’s and he uses it for his account. I had to fill out a form and they then sent me a link to my email to make the appointment.
OK. I see this might make admin. in some cases quicker, but this seems rather unnecessary when I was there, there was no queue and it took two receptionists to tell me to use the internet. The third was busy. Surely, common sense can dictate what is appropriate and when. I will be quite happy to use the system at any other time but thought this was a case when it saved no one any time as someone still had to deal with my request form.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-May-23 09:08:08

I feel sorry for reception staff - they can only work with the systems they’re given, crazy though some of them undoubtedly are, and most of them are trying their best. Of course they’re not qualified to diagnose anyone, and they are actually human, so mistakes are going to be made. But their remit is to try to prioritise obvious urgent cases, and to get patients matched with the correct health professional - somebody’s got to do it. The number of calls each day must be overwhelming, and some sort of triaging system has to apply, surely, when there simply aren’t enough doctors?

I can’t imagine it’s an easy task, and on top of that they have to deal with abuse and contempt from some of the people they’re trying to help. It’s certainly not a job I would relish, particularly at the low salaries most of them are on.

I wonder about online booking systems - they sound like a sensible option at first, but don’t they lead to people taking up appointments with issues that could have been dealt with by a pharmacist, or booking themselves in with the doctor for things a nurse should have dealt with, etc?

Dickens Wed 10-May-23 09:57:12

I wonder about online booking systems - they sound like a sensible option at first, but don’t they lead to people taking up appointments with issues that could have been dealt with by a pharmacist, or booking themselves in with the doctor for things a nurse should have dealt with, etc?

A good point.

I think that's one of the purposes of the online 'econsult' form - a doctor can review the symptoms and make the decision whether the patients needs to be directed to a nurse, pharmacist, etc. It acts as a 'filter'.

The issue I have with this is not the form in principle - but the way it has been designed - it has to 'anticipate' every possibility and therefore is overly long, far too generalised, and repetitive. And some surgeries, including mine, only allow access to it between 8-10 am.

So we're basically back to the early morning scramble. First come, first served. After 10 am - you've had it! I can't imagine it's very helpful for those who are working.

cornergran Wed 10-May-23 10:34:31

Our surgery is one of 8 which are part of a large group practice spread over a large geographic area. E-consult was introduced pre pandemic as an option, it has been essential for four months. Anyone without a computer, or who frankly would rather not complete the horribly complex thing can, in theory, complete a much shorter paper form or ask a care navigator (aka receptionist) to do it for them. It should work.

As a PPG member I sit through meetings where we are assured by the attending doctor it does work. It doesn’t. We are also assured patients with urgent issues can phone at any time in the day and be triaged by a doctor. Oh no they can’t.

Our neighbours still report being told to go on line when they don’t have access and to phone between 8 and 10 with urgent issues. Reporting back at the next meeting I am assured training has been completed and neither issue occurs. I could weep with frustration.

Our GP’s do work very hard. There are a range of medical professionals available once past the booking system. Recruitment is however a huge issue. The group needs 7 more full time equivalent doctors. As none currently work full time probably 14+ in number. New housing developments increase patient load weekly. It’s a disaster happening.

I joined the PPG to make a difference, that’s seems impossible but at least I know what’s happening. If we need an urgent appointment I know I can insist, the majority of patients don’t. If a non urgent appointment is needed we complete the paper forms, again many patients don’t know they can. Neighbours ask me to make appointments for them. Whether e-consult or paper form it takes 72 hours for requests to be reviewed.

Information about changes is in a monthly newsletter - only distributed electronically. Apparently it’s now too expensive to distribute paper copies as pre covid. Patients are simply lost sight of. I’m back to wanting to weep.

Maggiemaybe Wed 10-May-23 11:27:54

Our surgery offered e-Consult until recently, and has now changed to PATCHS. I’ve been lucky and haven’t had to use either, but I have heard concerns from friends about both. I did sign up for PATCHS as advised so it’s there if needed - I see myself as reasonably tech savvy but it took ages. And I still haven’t worked out how to register another person using the same email address (DH doesn’t do “online” so it’s easier if he uses mine).

I know it goes against the principle of GP autonomy, but can’t help but think it’d make sense if all the different systems of booking appointments, ordering prescriptions etc were to be tested nationally, and the best ones rolled out across all surgeries. With a central contact point on the NHS website to help with any problems.

Dickens Wed 10-May-23 12:00:03

cornergran

Our surgery is one of 8 which are part of a large group practice spread over a large geographic area. E-consult was introduced pre pandemic as an option, it has been essential for four months. Anyone without a computer, or who frankly would rather not complete the horribly complex thing can, in theory, complete a much shorter paper form or ask a care navigator (aka receptionist) to do it for them. It should work.

As a PPG member I sit through meetings where we are assured by the attending doctor it does work. It doesn’t. We are also assured patients with urgent issues can phone at any time in the day and be triaged by a doctor. Oh no they can’t.

Our neighbours still report being told to go on line when they don’t have access and to phone between 8 and 10 with urgent issues. Reporting back at the next meeting I am assured training has been completed and neither issue occurs. I could weep with frustration.

Our GP’s do work very hard. There are a range of medical professionals available once past the booking system. Recruitment is however a huge issue. The group needs 7 more full time equivalent doctors. As none currently work full time probably 14+ in number. New housing developments increase patient load weekly. It’s a disaster happening.

I joined the PPG to make a difference, that’s seems impossible but at least I know what’s happening. If we need an urgent appointment I know I can insist, the majority of patients don’t. If a non urgent appointment is needed we complete the paper forms, again many patients don’t know they can. Neighbours ask me to make appointments for them. Whether e-consult or paper form it takes 72 hours for requests to be reviewed.

Information about changes is in a monthly newsletter - only distributed electronically. Apparently it’s now too expensive to distribute paper copies as pre covid. Patients are simply lost sight of. I’m back to wanting to weep.

Interesting post cornergran. Thank you.

I could weep with you.

Doodledog Thu 11-May-23 14:54:20

To redress the balance a bit, I have been having side-effects from some drugs I've been prescribed. I am going away tomorrow, and am not sure whether to continue to take them or if I need something different, and if the latter if I can get an urgent prescription.

I used the econsult form to explain, and within the hour I got a call from a receptionist to see if I can take a call from the Nurse Practitioner this afternoon. That's a good service by any standards.