Gransnet forums

AIBU

Separate bedrooms

(107 Posts)
lippyqueen Sun 14-May-23 08:45:40

Good morning everyone, I was wondering what you all thought about separate bedrooms. I am a very light sleeper and constantly disturbed during the night by noise and movement from my husband. Recently I have disappeared into the spare room and have had an amazing deep sleep! Have anyone else made the break to a different room for sleeping, and if so, what happens when you go on holiday or away to stay.

newnanny Mon 15-May-23 16:20:03

If one of us has the flu or COVID we go into the spare room to sleep. No point spreading germs to the other. Other times we share a king-size bed. DH can sleep through anything. I can have my lamp on and read as he does not wake up. Each couple needs to do what suits them. I have a friend who sleeps in spare room 3 nights a week so gets good sleep then but likes to cuddle up to her DH the other nights.

sodapop Mon 15-May-23 16:00:16

It's best to leave Grumpy sleeping *BassGrammy smile

BassGrammy Mon 15-May-23 14:52:12

My DH moved into the spare room a good few years ago when he had a bad bout of bronchitis and we both realised how much better we slept! He’s never moved back!
Holidays etc aren’t really much of a problem…he suffers from restless leg syndrome and nights can be very disturbed. I try to book twin beds or at least a very large bed! It’s never an issue and hasn’t affected our relationship at all….in fact it’s better as I don’t wake up grumpy!

Wyllow3 Mon 15-May-23 14:50:47

It's a kind of social pressure isnt it?

Liz62 Mon 15-May-23 14:47:03

Slept in separate bedrooms for years & DH snores,fidgets& gets up to go to the loo & don't see why I should have to suffer because of it as I have enough trouble sleeping anyway. Lots of other couples I know also do so in later years , no-one in our family thinks anything of it .

Bijou Mon 15-May-23 14:41:57

My husband and I happily slept together all our married lives.
I still miss him after thirty years of being alone. We were so close.

Saggi Mon 15-May-23 14:31:21

….it’s really weird that couples won’t admit ,for the most part to sleeping separately or wanting to sleep separately!!

Saggi Mon 15-May-23 14:29:22

25 years of sleeping apart …because my husbands stroke left him with a leg
that wouldn’t stop jerking ….if it wasn’t jerking I was waiting for it to jerk!! I was still working, as he was 50 and me 46 ‘
I stood it for 2 years then we split into separate rooms as soon as our youngest left home. Best for us both as he became a night owl and I was having to get up and out of house at 5.30…..best thing I ever did! Go for it.

Nanny2020 Mon 15-May-23 13:57:29

We too sleep in separate rooms initiated by my husband who is a light sleeper. While we both are able to sleep better alone I feel it has led to a room mate feel to our relationship. I miss the opportunities of connection and closeness that used to happen at night when we were younger . Also this happened at the same point after the change of life when that part of the relationship naturally slowed down so this makes it even more difficult to find moments when you both feel in the mood. I like the idea of separate beds same room but the noise of snoring and waking to read would still be a problem for him . 🤷‍♀️

Helenlouise3 Mon 15-May-23 13:48:56

We've slept in different rooms for around 3 years. I have awful night flushes and spend most of the night turning my pillow and throwing the duvet off. Hubby snores, so unless I was asleep before him, I would be awake most of the night. We both sleep better and our marriage is fine. Newly retired we spend most of each day together doing things we both enjoy. When we go away, I always ask for twin beds and I have to put up with the snoring lol If it makes you both happy then go for it.

Gundy Mon 15-May-23 13:48:16

Oh, ABSOLUTELY!
What took you so long?
Perfect solution.
ZZzzz…
USA Gundy

ginnycomelately Mon 15-May-23 13:45:04

Best thing ever separate bed and room s

Wyllow3 Mon 15-May-23 13:13:38

My solution to going away was self catering. I'm heartened by the number of gransnetters who have found a happy separate room solution.

Yet socially its still supposed to be an indicator of a failing marriage, when it's clearly the opposite from the posters here.

I'm single atm but having a separate room never precluded climbing in for good morning morning chats and hugs

GANNET Mon 15-May-23 13:03:23

Been married 37 years and had separate bedrooms for 29 years. I am a light sleeper and my husband a terrible snorer! I am a lark and he is a night owl. Works really well. Love having my own space. My own problem is holidays with extended family when there isn’t the space available- I just have to realise my sleep will be severely compromised! Holidays together mean apartments rather than hotel rooms. I do think the holiday industry are missing a trick as many couples want adjoining rooms without paying over the odds

Nanatoone Mon 15-May-23 12:57:48

We generally went to bed together but I’d get up and move to the other room as I am the world’s worst fidgeter. My husband was poorly with cancer and had a catheter so needed his sleep and not to be subject to tossing and turning all night long. I found I was able to have my audio book on without earphones (bliss) and continue to do so now that I am alone. Separate beds did not mean separate lives until death took my love. It did mean a better sleep and ability to cope with all that life threw at us.

Willow3 Mon 15-May-23 12:47:39

We have had separate rooms for many years due to his snoring and me getting up for the loo several times. We try to have self catering holidays but sometimes put up with sleeping together on cruises and all inclusives together with sleeping pills and ear plugs!! We never sleep well in same bed!

paddyann54 Mon 15-May-23 12:39:55

Its personal choice ,our choice is together in a double bed ,usually we sleep on one pillow in the bed .Its what we've always done for all our lives apart from a short time when menopausal sweats almost floated him out of the bed.
Its still lovely to waken and watch him sleep or when he tells me I look beautiful in the morning sunlight .I dread a time when that stops ,he's my best friend, my lover ,the most important person in my life .Iwant as many of these moments as we can have...at almost 70 I know it wont be forever .

Grandma29 Mon 15-May-23 12:03:42

I now live on my own so it makes no difference to me.
It’s whatever suits each other. Getting a goodnights sleep is paramount. Sleepwell folks😴

BettyBoop49 Mon 15-May-23 12:00:27

Im 74 and love sleeping alone. My partner of 25 years and I just climb in together in either bed first thing in the morning for a chat and a cuddle and to plan for the day. Both happy to have our own space overnight. Also if Im having one of those wakeful nights, I can have a game on my Nintendo Switch before rolling over!

Betty18 Mon 15-May-23 11:59:48

Go for it . You won’t regret it. Peace, quiet and good sleep.

Lesley60 Mon 15-May-23 11:59:39

We have slept in separate rooms since I broke my ankle and leg over a year ago as I was afraid he would knock it in his sleep, I slept so much better not missing his loud snoring.
Although dh prefers to say he’s sleeping in the spare room so that it doesn’t sound permanent, when we go away we sleep together and I put up with him snoring

PamQS Mon 15-May-23 11:52:43

I’d love one! I’ve got insomnia, and it takes me quite a while to settle off to sleep, and my DH is disturbed if I have a reading light on. He’s also a dreadful sharer, I’ve had to buy a single duvet for myself because I was waking up freezing in the night when he’d pulled the duvet off me!

Rameses Mon 15-May-23 11:51:52

We chose to start sleeping separately in different rooms early in the pandemic and have stayed that way ever since. Suits us both, we both sleep better and it hasn't affected our relationship one jot, so why not?

Jess20 Mon 15-May-23 11:50:08

Yes, we have a 'snoring room'. Means I can sleep properly.

WoodLane7 Mon 15-May-23 11:46:48

OH has taken to sleeping in spare room over last few months, we both get a far better nights sleep