Gransnet forums

AIBU

Why do older people have to dislike change.

(115 Posts)
alig99 Sun 09-Jul-23 11:36:36

"feeling bit exhausted over this as it seems another big change for the older population to get to grips with"

This quote I read on another thread and it got me thinking. Firstly I am a member of the older population. Secondly, I still embrace change and learning new things.

I'm not saying change for change sake, but when my peers say something like, 'I'm no good with technology I'm too old' mostly I think they mean 'I can't be bothered to learn' I really this dislike the putting down of new things just because a person doesn't find it easy. I'm happy to learn new things generally they do improve our lives and particularly enjoy learning from the bright younger generation.

When do people stop being bright young thing, unwilling to embrace change?

kittylester Sun 09-Jul-23 11:43:18

I so agree with you.

Sago Sun 09-Jul-23 11:44:29

I feel the same, I embrace most change and new technology.

Unfortunately many people are just quite simply scared of technology and use the “I’ve managed this long without a…” as an excuse.

I have had to use technology for work and had a bit of a panic last month when a client needed something complex, I just said yes and then paid someone £100 to tutor me, it meant I could fulfil my contract and it was a small price to pay.

Unfortunately these people are being left behind, the ticket offices closing being a great example.

We are currently watching Downton ( I know we are the only people in the UK never to have seen it before!) it is very interesting seeing how WW1, electricity and the telephone changed so much and the fear that this brought about.

Oreo Sun 09-Jul-23 11:45:43

Not all the young generation are bright, just a thought.
Being open to new things, ideas and so on is a good thing tho generally.

Salti Sun 09-Jul-23 12:01:25

Oreo

Not all the young generation are bright, just a thought.
Being open to new things, ideas and so on is a good thing tho generally.

I embrace new technology and even eventually convinced even older in-laws to embrace it. My sister in law got her first laptop, tablet and smartphone in her eighties and they opened a whole new world to her after a few early hiccups.

As for "bright young things", I tend to listen to them and then think well if they can do it I'm damn sure I can.

Theexwife Sun 09-Jul-23 12:08:20

I embrace new technology and like to learn new things up to a point. I have never used an Xbox or PlayStation and don’t want to.

Some people do not want to learn how to use technology and dislike change, and that is fine, why be critical of them?

biglouis Sun 09-Jul-23 12:15:57

I will embrace new technology which I think can offer me something. However I dislike change just for the sake of it. For example I am not interested in using social media as most people do. I have no "personal" presence on Farcebook, Twatter etc. I only use them for business. I am not interested in communicating via memes and emoticons.

I began using a word processor back in the 1980s when the first cheap Amstrad ones appeared. It opened up a new world to me. When I began teaching wordprocessing in an FE college in the early 1990s (to fund my Masters) I had adult students, many of whom had never touched a computer. Some of them were quite scared of the machines. The material I gathered enabled me to get funding for my Masters and go on to begin my Doctorate.

I have a very pragmatic attitude to technology. If it serves my needs, fine.

Jackiest Sun 09-Jul-23 12:18:32

I like technology but find many changes take things away instead of adding useful things. Things like Windows took away the copy and paste from the right mouse menue and you had to click show more options. No easy way to put it back you have to do a registry edit.

Sago Sun 09-Jul-23 12:18:34

biglouis

I will embrace new technology which I think can offer me something. However I dislike change just for the sake of it. For example I am not interested in using social media as most people do. I have no "personal" presence on Farcebook, Twatter etc. I only use them for business. I am not interested in communicating via memes and emoticons.

I began using a word processor back in the 1980s when the first cheap Amstrad ones appeared. It opened up a new world to me. When I began teaching wordprocessing in an FE college in the early 1990s (to fund my Masters) I had adult students, many of whom had never touched a computer. Some of them were quite scared of the machines. The material I gathered enabled me to get funding for my Masters and go on to begin my Doctorate.

I have a very pragmatic attitude to technology. If it serves my needs, fine.

I never cease to be amazed at your incredible career history!
I’m sure you have also mentioned in previous posts being a debt collector and a dominatrix!
Oh please will you share your occupations with us?

BlueBelle Sun 09-Jul-23 12:20:15

I like it once I ve been shown it a few times and I m always up for a try
The other thing I can’t bear and this isn’t just old, old people but it seems to favour men when they completely live in the past and you get reams of ‘ not like it used to be’ ‘better in the old days’ ‘nothing like it was’ ,’wish it was like it used to be !’
I am not a violent person but I want to smack their legs 😂😂😂
The negativity from some people is palpable

timetogo2016 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:28:14

I like to be shown how to do/learn new things,what i don`t like is change in general.
Example being,moving to a new area.

lyleLyle Sun 09-Jul-23 12:28:44

Jackiest

I like technology but find many changes take things away instead of adding useful things. Things like Windows took away the copy and paste from the right mouse menue and you had to click show more options. No easy way to put it back you have to do a registry edit.

This. I love change, but I love practical change. Sure some things simply require an adjustment period, but I find things like taking away basic functions on laptops a bit annoying. Apple has managed to make more seamless transitions, for example taking away firewire years ago on MacBooks. But some of the changes I find a bit cumbersome.

And I don't think it's just the older generation that has a problem with change. I think the older generations just struggle more to adapt. Learning new things helps me keep my spirit young as my body ages. I just prefer the types of changes that make life easier. Change is good.

henetha Sun 09-Jul-23 12:33:22

It's my two sons who have made sure that I have a computer and a smart phone and shown me how to use them. I quite like keeping up with technology but could not do it without their help.

aonk Sun 09-Jul-23 12:35:23

Although my job involved using a computer it wasn’t “in depth.” Since I retired I’ve become expert at using the internet and mobile phone but less good at Excel, power point etc. However I do persevere and am never afraid to ask for help. The only way is to look forward. Nice to look back sometimes and reminisce of course but change must be embraced.

Kim19 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:35:46

I don't dislike change one little bit. However, I'm sometimes a little overwhelmed by the speed of it all. Also not being in the commercial world can leave one feeling constantly on catch up. Mind you......retirement certainly has different compensations.

MerylStreep Sun 09-Jul-23 12:38:06

Here, here. The ones that drive up the wall are those below the age of 70 ( and I know a few) who say im too old
I point out that they weren’t old when tech started.
I have one such close friend who has seen something and asked me to get in on Amazon/ Ebay. It infuriates me.
This is a woman I had to set up her new TV 😡

Bea65 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:39:52

I'm sorry that you find my thread about BT phones lines. ..disliking change...my point was, perhaps I don't get my opinion across articulately, when you live alone and without support of techies - you do worry about change especially if you're not given/sent information...

biglouis Sun 09-Jul-23 12:40:28

*I never cease to be amazed at your incredible career history!
I’m sure you have also mentioned in previous posts being a debt collector and a dominatrix! Oh please will you share your occupations with us?*

I worked as a debt collector and a dominatrix during the 8 years I was at uni as an undergraduate and a post graduate. I used many of these experiences as "data" for my courses. Ive also worked as a film extra. night club singer and door to door sales person. I have many years experience in the antiques trade.

If I could go back to my 20s knowing what I do now I would have become self employed and never worked for an employer. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

MerylStreep Sun 09-Jul-23 12:42:49

Bea65
All that information you needed is online. The internet is the worlds library, there’s nothing you can’t search.

nanna8 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:51:12

I used computers a lot at work and continue to do so.Can't be bothered with these ageist comments, they're pathetic. My personal experience is that older people tend to be more adventurous, not less. They don't have to worry about setting an example, looking after kids or scheduling things for school holidays. They can and do just up and go to another country at the drop of a hat. At least Aussies do.

PamelaJ1 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:53:05

Is it compulsory now?
Oh dear.

Bea65 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:53:39

MerylStreep....i know how to google!! The issue is the date of switchover which, if your provider doesn't /hasn't advised you..its still a worry! Don't be so condescending !

paddyann54 Sun 09-Jul-23 12:59:26

Its not the attitude to tech that irritates me.its the belief that everything in their youth was better.Music for instance there are some fantastic young musicians /singers/bands yet we have friends who only play 60 or 70's music .Thats sad,they miss so much .Thet tend to have the same attitude to other changes too which can be strange as surely life is all about change and adapting to new ways.I believe staying in touch with life keeps you young at heart and in mind

nanna8 Sun 09-Jul-23 13:04:26

paddyann54

Its not the attitude to tech that irritates me.its the belief that everything in their youth was better.Music for instance there are some fantastic young musicians /singers/bands yet we have friends who only play 60 or 70's music .Thats sad,they miss so much .Thet tend to have the same attitude to other changes too which can be strange as surely life is all about change and adapting to new ways.I believe staying in touch with life keeps you young at heart and in mind

Here here!

Norah Sun 09-Jul-23 13:06:49

Theexwife

I embrace new technology and like to learn new things up to a point. I have never used an Xbox or PlayStation and don’t want to.

Some people do not want to learn how to use technology and dislike change, and that is fine, why be critical of them?

I embrace new technology and appliances that suit my needs. I've no need of a game system, mobile, smart telly, and I cook well without any new gadgets.

I take care of all financial matters for our home and my husband's business - of course I embrace the internet for banking and my life is made easier by scanning. However, paper and pencil still work well for me to have 'touchable records' for our Accountant. No need of spreadsheets or other non-paper docs.