Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you agree with me or parent and child?

(89 Posts)
WelshPoppy Thu 02-Jul-26 08:52:28

Arranged a coach trip for a group of youngsters aged 9 to 11. Pre information said that car sick children should take medication/wear a wristband, etc, prior to departure. Little Gerty's (not real name) mother informs me while waiting to get on coach, that wristbands don't work and that Gerty had chosen not to take medication. Mother told me she feels it's important that Gerty has a choice. Half an hour into one hour trip, Gerty projectile vomits over the child in front, the child beside her, the seat and floor of the coach and herself. When I go to try and sort things out, Gerty giggles and tells me "that always happens when I choose to not take the tablet". Luckily we limited food and drink intake to essential only (no sweets/fizzy drinks) and got home unscathed, although Gerty did vomit after getting off the coach. In future, should I insist that Gerty receives medication as a proviso for being allowed on the coach or let mum allow Gerty to choose, putting other children in an uncomfortable situation?

Nannee49 Sat 04-Jul-26 12:32:05

Agree with all the posts but am I being too cynical in warning be prepared for local press to be contacted and a pic of Gerty and Gerty's mum published with that peculiar mix of outrage, thwarted entitlement, bewilderment and, somehow, sadness at their plight.

pigsmayfly. Sat 04-Jul-26 21:14:09

Getty needs to sit at the front of the coach with a bucket and her Mum in future if her choice is not to take medication. Sharing bodily fluids with others in this day and age is not acceptable. So right at the front with a bucket and her Mum.

Whiff Sun 05-Jul-26 06:49:35

When I was a child and even could happen in my early 20's I got bus and car sick. There wasn't tablets when a child. My mom took lot of plastic bags with us on the bus . And I sat with open one ready incase I was sick. If I was mom had perfume with her so to cover the smell of vomit 🤢 and not upset other passengers. Dad and my husband had plastic bags in the glove box. But at least could stop the car when I felt sick.
On school trips I sat at the front of the coach with plastic bags and perfume. If it was a long trip I didn't go .

On car ferries when we had children I always took sea sickness tablets.

If the child won't take anti sickness tablets then she doesn't go. I would have thought the parents of the children she was sick on would insist on her doing so or she couldn't go. I know if it happened when my children where at school I would have done that.

PaperMonster2 Sun 05-Jul-26 09:12:43

The perfume smell mingled with vomit smell would have made me vomit!

NotSpaghetti Sun 05-Jul-26 09:43:53

Nannee49
grin

Whiff Sun 05-Jul-26 17:43:35

Have you smell some of the perfumes people wear today they stink. There were no aerosols to disguise and neutralise smells in those days I am 68.

PaperMonster2 Sun 05-Jul-26 19:44:00

I think perfumes smell just as good or bad nowadays as they always did. It’s the combination of two smells competing with each other that sets me off. The last thing I’d do with vomit is try to cover up the smell with something scented, especially in a confined space. Last time I dealt with vomit on a coach (two hours into a 12 hour journey) I had to sit away from where it had happened as the girl’s friends sprayed some perfume. I am not good with smells in confined spaces - I even had to move away from some girls in class last week as they’d sprayed deodorant.

Cossy Sun 05-Jul-26 20:09:45

No meds, no trip! I actually think that parents who allow their 9 year old children to make their own decisions about absolutely everything and are deluded! Let them make decisions about what to wear, what to eat or how to wear their hair, but not about big important things like travel sickness pills when the child is clearly very travel sick!

Cossy Sun 05-Jul-26 20:11:19

eazybee

If it is a youth organisation you are not compelled to take her on any future trips.
It is most unpleasant for other passengers if someone has vomited: the smell lingers and can make others feel ill, not to mention the damage caused to upholstery and carpet in the vehicle.

Well said!!

JaneJudge Sun 05-Jul-26 20:12:26

i agree with you

StoneofDestiny Thu 03-Sept-26 15:49:03

I would want to see the child take the medication and if I didn't, I wouldn't allow her to go

This - but I'd probably refuse to take her on future trips. Think of the poor child she was sick over and the parent who had to wash the clothes. Ugh

HowVeryDareYou2 Thu 03-Sept-26 20:34:33

I'd tell the gormless mother that precious little Gerty won't be able to go on any more trips unless she takes a tablet. The poor kids who were vomited on!

sparkle1234 Thu 03-Sept-26 23:22:07

If I was the mother of the child she'd projectile vomited over I'd have something to say . Totally selfish , the smell of vomit on that coach enough to set others off . No anti sickness pill . No trip . End of !!!

Nannan2 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:47:03

Whats with all this 'letting the child choose' nonsence these days? 🤔It's just ridiculous- they're a child for goodness sake!- The ADULTS decide about medication choices,not the kids! (More like the feckless mother forgot to buy the sickness pills/or forgot to give 'Gerty' them beforehand!) Next time,no medication no trip!Rules are rules! I cant believe the school let her go anyway in that circumstance- they seem feckless as well! Those poor other kids being thrown up on while the offender giggled about it! Really? It's just ridiculous.

EmilyHarburn Fri 04-Sept-26 13:48:54

Why has this July thread come back to us in September?

Dontcallmelove Fri 04-Sept-26 13:50:54

tanith

Insist ‘Gertys’ Mum goes too so she can clean up the inevitable mess.

This

JuBut Fri 04-Sept-26 13:51:16

She doesn't take the medication she doesn't go!!! Stupid mother!!

Nannan2 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:51:29

Exactly what others say- theres plenty of things they can choose over- what to eat or how to wear their hair, where to sit on coach, who their friends are, etc.But not medical decisions.

Nannan2 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:53:51

Make her take medication if she wants to go next time,and insist her mum comes along to help if the pills fail anyway.Theyʻre not foolproof.

Grandmotherto8 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:56:52

Gertie takes her meds or Gertie stays at home. Stupid parents giving her a choice.

sazz1 Fri 04-Sept-26 13:59:44

I wouldn't go on the next trip so mum would have to go if the children need an adult with them

CarrotTop Fri 04-Sept-26 14:14:03

I really think this "child-led development" craze is getting very silly now. Children learn by example, instruction and explanation. They don't just figure everything out for themselves (show me any human being who ever has - not even robots can do that!). The fashion will change - fashions always do - but this time, considering the sheer stupidity of it, a U-turn seems an awfully long time in coming. To answer the question, no, I would not allow any child to travel who refuses to take the medication (s)he needs in order to travel comfortably. Does that little girl's mother have no sensitivity to how humiliated her daughter will feel when she vomits in public?

Jess20 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:14:11

My son was often sick, all sorts of places, including the car and public transport. We (or he himself from quite a young age) took a bag with water, wipes and sick bags, possibly a bowl of space allowed. With the right cooperation from the child, even projectile vomit can be managed without splattering others. Perhaps Gerty's mother needs to step up and help the child manage better and understand those children who bore the brunt won't forget and it'll probably be a story that will follow her whole school career. I don't think she should be forced to take meds but I think mum is not stepping up on this adequately, not fair on other children or staff if it's both highly likely and no attempts are made to manage or mitigate, not even a couple of sick bags in her pocket....how old is Gerty? Surely she can learn to manage this herself? I'm assuming this isn't a SEN child who should have a helper.... The bit about finding it funny might be embarrassment or genuine amusement and obviously there's a difference in how it should be dealt with.

DeeAitch56 Fri 04-Sept-26 14:23:08

In future I’d insist that one of the child’s parents attend the trips with them to clean up any body fluids which surely must be considered a health and safety issue because as sure as eggs is eggs I would / could not clean up after the kid

Peaseblossom Fri 04-Sept-26 14:36:53

Entitled brat and parent. So her mother doesn't seem to care that her child is going to be ill on the coach? You'd think she'd want to avoid her going on any coach trips for that reason, let alone the fact that she's a pain in the a**e and throwing up over other children and the coach and causing chaos. What disgusting selfish people! They could of course lie and say the child had taken anti-sickness medication, but it would soon be obvious if she hadn't. She definitely should not go unless she's taken the medication.