Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you agree with me or parent and child?

(89 Posts)
WelshPoppy Thu 02-Jul-26 08:52:28

Arranged a coach trip for a group of youngsters aged 9 to 11. Pre information said that car sick children should take medication/wear a wristband, etc, prior to departure. Little Gerty's (not real name) mother informs me while waiting to get on coach, that wristbands don't work and that Gerty had chosen not to take medication. Mother told me she feels it's important that Gerty has a choice. Half an hour into one hour trip, Gerty projectile vomits over the child in front, the child beside her, the seat and floor of the coach and herself. When I go to try and sort things out, Gerty giggles and tells me "that always happens when I choose to not take the tablet". Luckily we limited food and drink intake to essential only (no sweets/fizzy drinks) and got home unscathed, although Gerty did vomit after getting off the coach. In future, should I insist that Gerty receives medication as a proviso for being allowed on the coach or let mum allow Gerty to choose, putting other children in an uncomfortable situation?

Peaseblossom Fri 04-Sept-26 14:49:16

This was posted on the 2nd of July, so how comes everyone is commenting on it again? How did that start?

undines Fri 04-Sept-26 15:01:12

The joys of the world in 2026. I imagine 'Gerty' is also soon going to be offered the choice of becoming a boy.

sarahcyn Fri 04-Sept-26 15:01:30

eazybee

Gerty has a choice: she takes her medication and goes on the trip, or refuses her medication and does not go, as her action impacts on other people.

If it is a school trip and part of the curriculum, I am not sure where you stand, (depriving child of educational opportunity) but possibly get parent to sign a disclaimer and agree to take responsibility for any damage caused.

This!!!

Sueinkent Fri 04-Sept-26 15:08:38

Oreo

She doesn’t take medication she doesn’t go.

This.

Sasta Fri 04-Sept-26 15:12:48

The child should definitely have a choice. Take the tablet and go, or stay at school and miss the trip.

albertina Fri 04-Sept-26 15:27:37

As a retired Primary school teacher you have my sympathy. The mother of that child should be ashamed and should have been made to pay towards the clean up. No tablet, no trip,

Labradora Fri 04-Sept-26 15:50:31

Agree with you , of course.
Re the self-centredness of this parent, words fail me.
I agree with all the other posters that there is a choice to be had. Take the tablet or miss the trip.

Whitby59 Fri 04-Sept-26 15:54:25

I've read this exact same post before!!

Essexgirl145 Fri 04-Sept-26 15:56:49

"Gerty should get a kick up the bum"

Daisycuddles Fri 04-Sept-26 16:27:03

easy. No medication no trip. That's then their choice isn't it?! I would send the parent the clean up bill for drying cleaning and the bus...

Dreadwitch Fri 04-Sept-26 17:46:17

That would have been enforced the 1st time if it was me in charge. But definitely in future then no pill, no day out unless the mother comes and is there to clean up the vomit and make sure it doesn't land on anyone else.

Elrel Fri 04-Sept-26 20:00:22

If someone threw up on a scheduled bus the driver immediately took it out of service and passengers waited for the next one. Same thing happened this July when poor was reported on upper deck. Wondering what the regulations are for hired coaches. During many years of teaching I took whole classes on coached. It was just common sense to take a few metal
waste paper baskets, thick paper bags and plenty of paper towels, wipes etc. I was never the sole adult so an any child likely to be travel sick was seated next to an adult near the front of the coach. I don’t recall any major problems. Usually another pupil would tell an adult: ‘Gerty feels sick , Miss’ and a bin was rapidly put in place.
My own child at 14 was occasionally travel sick, for a day trip to Stratford I asked if they could sit at the front. When I met the coach 12 hours later the teacher said ‘X was not travel sick but I’m surprised they weren’t as salt and vinegar crisps were being dipped in rhubarb yoghurt!’

Shazmo24 Sat 05-Sept-26 12:32:01

I would tell the selfish mother that Gerty is no longer able to attend any coach trips until she realises that allowing her daughter to choose whether to take medication or not is not good enough
If I was the parent of those other 2 kids who were vomited on I would be furious