Gransnet forums

AIBU

Save Trump at all costs?

(83 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 12-Aug-26 11:51:38

So, President Trump was secretly moved to another plane in Ankara as there was a potential threat to Airforce-1 from Iran..
What about the others on Airforce-1? Presumably they were considered to be expendable.
If it had been shot down Trump would have been as guilty as the perpetrators for setting them up as a target.

Dickens Thu 13-Aug-26 19:10:34

Maremia

Next time I travel by plane I am taking my own sandwiches.
😫

grin grin

MayBee70 Thu 13-Aug-26 18:48:44

Skodadoda

Tuliptree

Actually was there really a security issue? It’s exactly the sort of publicity stunt the WH would pull isn’t it?

Trump is exaggerating the security risk to justify declaring a state of emergency and stop the midterm elections. He’s already hinted at it and there’s a high risk the republicans will lose.

I’ve been thinking for a while that he would like there to be an assassination attempt to prevent the elections. Didn’t think of it in terms of Air Force 1 though.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 18:37:11

Cossy

Believe this isn’t the only time this has happened, nor the only president.

I looked this up but I think it wasn't the same - in this case the civilians were pug at risk and almost nobody on the decoy plane knew.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 18:32:01

Where are these photos please chocolatelovinggran?

Cossy Thu 13-Aug-26 17:44:19

Believe this isn’t the only time this has happened, nor the only president.

Maremia Thu 13-Aug-26 17:41:43

Next time I travel by plane I am taking my own sandwiches.
😫

Skodadoda Thu 13-Aug-26 17:41:22

Tuliptree

Actually was there really a security issue? It’s exactly the sort of publicity stunt the WH would pull isn’t it?

Trump is exaggerating the security risk to justify declaring a state of emergency and stop the midterm elections. He’s already hinted at it and there’s a high risk the republicans will lose.

DrWatson Thu 13-Aug-26 17:33:13

I've posted this before, but there are always new readers.

About 100 years ago, an American journalist, satirist and wit, named H L Mencken, wrote this (with exceptional foresight) >>>>>>>
“As democracy is perfected, the office of President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”
#############
[Google his name for lots more barbs, specialising in politics and religion]

DrWatson Thu 13-Aug-26 17:27:23

Re that plane/catering truck story, some readers may not be aware that Chump is widely reported to be incontinent, (reported on many forums) - and apparently has been so for years. In a big way ("bigly" perhaps). His (former) close associates don't get sued either, re those claims.

It seems the blame gets placed on years of drug abuse, 'stimulants' like cocaine and 'adderall' (which I had to look up, says it's a 'prescriptive amphetamine').

So, next time he says something wildly irritating (won't be long) - picture him with a giant nappy on underneath that big blue suit. 'Diaper' of course for those in USA/Canada.

Oh, it just occurred, given the stress of having to be smuggled into a catering truck, away from Air Force One, that phrase about "brown stuff hitting the fan" might have come true? You'd hope that it had a thorough steam clean afterwards????

DrWatson Thu 13-Aug-26 17:10:09

For Dickens - what an EXCELLENT summary of the likely reasons for Chump's spoilt upbringing, his shameless deranged present, and the vastly over-privileged crook/conman decades inbetween.

And well done too for pointing out his barmpot 'logic', trying to claim the second plane was possibly at greater risk (sooooo, why change to it then . . . .?).

I saw this on another forum recently, it's due to Chump being well-known to cheat at his beloved Golf (blatantly, it seems) -- and remember how he castigated Obama for playing "too much golf" and the "it won't cost the country if I play" promise?!

>>> If Trump is playing a lone round of golf, he can do whatever he pleases. He is only cheating himself if he claims a lower score. If he is playing in a private group, the others can agree to give him any amount of cheating help he likes.

In a tournament, however, golfers do not cheat. Trump’s statement is self-serving rationalization. It is what he says every day of his life to justify not paying his taxes, ripping people off, taking bribes, assaulting women, cheating on his wives, lying, and belittling people. His mantra is “Everyone is guilty of being evil. I am just better at it.”

jocork Thu 13-Aug-26 16:24:45

madeleine45

Can only hope that next time he wants to get up to such tricks, that he gets into a clearly labelled rubbish truck and that it correctly empties the contents at a tip!

Like your thinking!

madeleine45 Thu 13-Aug-26 15:32:55

Can only hope that next time he wants to get up to such tricks, that he gets into a clearly labelled rubbish truck and that it correctly empties the contents at a tip!

MickyD Thu 13-Aug-26 15:30:00

I’m sure it was all a stage show. The whole plane would have been evacuated.

Neilspurgeon0 Thu 13-Aug-26 14:38:52

I might be accused of conspiracy but given both of the ‘shooting incidents’ were clearly fake (see Trump’s lug ole lately?) I am inclined to believe this is the Showman Showing Off again. It clearly is not in Iran’s interest to remove Trump as POTUS, ok they’d get Vance - in some way even less useful but much more predictable - but Trump is such a Chump at warfare that basically Iran can’t lose all the time Trump is ‘vaguely’ in charge of the US armed forces, and you can bet that Vance would dump the execrable Hesgeth in a heartbeat

Cressida Thu 13-Aug-26 13:40:33

He's so delusional that he'll probably start wearing a blue tie and cap.

Dickens Thu 13-Aug-26 13:30:03

Tuliptree

If the Dems are successful , what is DT going to do about the ‘fact’ that that must mean the election was ‘stolen’? I think it’s quite worrying

Good point.

More riots by 'Patriots'?

Tuliptree Thu 13-Aug-26 13:10:28

If the Dems are successful , what is DT going to do about the ‘fact’ that that must mean the election was ‘stolen’? I think it’s quite worrying

imaround Thu 13-Aug-26 12:47:49

I should say, this is why the GOP is worried about Dem candidates in the GOP states. If Dems can take control of the Senate with a majority (66 votes IIRC) he will be removed.

One of the reason the Establishment Dems are losing Primaries is because they aren't keen on doing anything to hold Trump accountable.

imaround Thu 13-Aug-26 12:44:22

dotpocka

people talk about 88days /does not take him out of the offfice artilce 25 or something more deadly so we are stuck for 2028

As long as Dems take over both the House and Senate, he will be impeached and convicted.

Impeach = House
Convict = Senate -this is what removes him from office.

He has been impeached in the House multiple times, but never convicted in Senate. happened to Clinton too

Tuliptree Thu 13-Aug-26 09:00:48

Chocolatelovinggran

Indeed, Maremia. Ms Leavitt was in the "target" plane. She has resigned to spend more time with her family. Now where have I heard that before?
There are still photographs of her having a heated exchange with Mr Trump, and his new best friend, Natalie, who was moved to the alternative aircraft.

Wow just wow. I must say I was surprised when I heard she’d resigned but this makes perfect sense. But she knew exactly what sort of man she was working for - she’d seen plenty of people thrown in front of the proverbial bus and she’d justified and lied about his actions at the daily press conferences. My dream would be she’d turn whistle blower but more likely she’ll just put the payoff into crypto currency

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 13-Aug-26 08:56:24

Indeed, Maremia. Ms Leavitt was in the "target" plane. She has resigned to spend more time with her family. Now where have I heard that before?
There are still photographs of her having a heated exchange with Mr Trump, and his new best friend, Natalie, who was moved to the alternative aircraft.

Tuliptree Thu 13-Aug-26 08:04:51

The paradoxically charitable view is that it was never a credible threat but all part of Trump’s PR madness. Unfortunately, he and his henchmen are so divorced from reality that they’d forgotten the optics of apparently looking as though they’d be sending innocents to their possible death.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 07:17:38

Just had a look and there is a lot of press speculation about it.

I would be very angry if I had two small children and a loving family to be deliberately put at risk like this.

I think she didnt know because reports all say that the press corps didn't know.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 07:07:25

Oh I don't know!
Good question

Maremia Thu 13-Aug-26 06:40:06

Was Karoline Leavitt one of the 'left behinds' on the plane?
Is that why she's now leaving her post?