Gransnet forums

AIBU

Save Trump at all costs?

(83 Posts)
Quizzer Wed 12-Aug-26 11:51:38

So, President Trump was secretly moved to another plane in Ankara as there was a potential threat to Airforce-1 from Iran..
What about the others on Airforce-1? Presumably they were considered to be expendable.
If it had been shot down Trump would have been as guilty as the perpetrators for setting them up as a target.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 06:18:32

Apparently Rubio knew:

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth was on the secret flight with Mr. Trump out of Turkey. White House aides Natalie Harp, Walt Nauta and Dan Scavino were also on the catering truck and the flight with Mr. Trump.

Rubio and Bessent, who separated and maintained the line of succession, were aware the president was on another, secret plane. Several other White House aides were on the decoy flight, including Stephen Miller, Will Scharf, Steven Cheung, Mike Needham, Ross Worthington and Monica Crowley.

www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-secret-flight-turkey-pete-hegseth-marco-rubio-scott-bessent/?hl=en-GB#:~:text=Rubio%20and%20Bessent%2C%20who%20separated%20and%20maintained,Ross%20Worthington%20and%20Monica%20Crowley.%20While%20the

Maremia Thu 13-Aug-26 05:57:09

Am absolutely sure the Press didn't know, but Rubio? Isn't he the preferred 'heir'?

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 05:43:25

Sadgrandma

If there was a credible threat they should have evacuated the whole plane not just Trump. It beggars belief! Any leader with a shred of decency would never have gone along with it.

Clinton did something similar but journalists and security etc were briefed in advance.

Trump’s security team executed the catering-truck transfer (a truck, not a cart, apparently) without informing the journalists or staff left behind on the decoy Air Force One.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 05:41:18

Maremia

Thanks Delia, I wonder if they knew?

No.
They didn't know.

NotSpaghetti Thu 13-Aug-26 00:42:45

Boz

Trump would not have had any say in this. The Secret Services would move into a plan of action without consultation, as did our SS when Theresa May had to be extradited at speed from the HoP.

How can you say this?
He walked off the plane.
He left ordinary people ^who did not know or accept the risks.

He allowed the use of a populated presidential jet as an unannounced decoy - flying civilians through a high-threat area.

The security services should be ashamed.
This was not an accidental situation.
It was an organised operation.

dotpocka Wed 12-Aug-26 22:33:39

people talk about 88days /does not take him out of the offfice artilce 25 or something more deadly so we are stuck for 2028

JenniRen Wed 12-Aug-26 22:30:31

SueDonim

I’ve been wondering whether they put him into one of those carts the cabin crew wheel up and down the aisles, and whether they had to shoehorn him in.

Or maybe it’s the kind of box that magicians use when they saw a person in half!

Imagine ordering a meal on an aircraft and having Trump appear on your tray like a genie out of a box!

Tuliptree Wed 12-Aug-26 22:19:53

Wouldn’t it be great if the people involved ( many of them journalists - some with quotation marks) refused to travel with him again? But it won’t happen

Delila Wed 12-Aug-26 21:08:52

I wondered why those on board had to keep the window-blinds down. Then it occurred to me that it was to prevent them from seeing Trump exiting the plane.

If so, I think that makes the incident even more cynical, as they were being deliberately kept in the dark in order not to alert them to possible live security concerns.

If I’d seen Trump surreptitiously exiting the plane in those circumstances I’d have exited the plane too!

SueDonim Wed 12-Aug-26 20:20:04

I’ve been wondering whether they put him into one of those carts the cabin crew wheel up and down the aisles, and whether they had to shoehorn him in.

Or maybe it’s the kind of box that magicians use when they saw a person in half!

imaround Wed 12-Aug-26 19:03:16

Well, I can say that never in my memory has a President of the United States been wheeled out in a kitchen cart.

I think part of the reason it seems like a circus is because the clowns have no idea what they are doing after the regime ran off all the experienced people and replaced them with loyalists.

Sadgrandma Wed 12-Aug-26 18:47:49

If there was a credible threat they should have evacuated the whole plane not just Trump. It beggars belief! Any leader with a shred of decency would never have gone along with it.

Maremia Wed 12-Aug-26 18:34:22

Thanks Delia, I wonder if they knew?

Dickens Wed 12-Aug-26 18:30:45

The last-minute switch has raised questions about whether those left on the decoy plane were in danger, but Trump said on Tuesday the jet he boarded instead could have been at "greater risk... because that would be the plane, I think, that they would be more likely to go for".
from the BBC News website

... huh? If the decoy plane was likely to be the one targeted - why board it?

I suppose the threat must've been credible for such a manoeuvre. If you initiate renewed strikes against Iran during a NATO summit in a country directly bordering it - it becomes almost academic.

So both aircraft, passengers and crew, were in fact in danger.

Delila Wed 12-Aug-26 17:33:05

Maremia

Would be interesting to know which White House staffers were left in the plane?
Wonder how they feel about being considered 'expendible'?

I understand Marco Rubio and Scott Bessant were on the decoy plane.

Maremia Wed 12-Aug-26 17:15:31

If the demise occurs 'off stage' how long would it be before an announcement is made?
Thinking about the non appearance of Mitch McConnell.

Wheniwasyourage Wed 12-Aug-26 16:51:20

That is what worries me, imaround. Who is pulling his strings and what happens when he is completely demented or dies?

imaround Wed 12-Aug-26 14:45:38

Dickens, I have said for a long time now, this reminds me of the scene in The Mockingjay where Katniss has to choose between killing the 2 presidents and everyone was surprised by her choice.

Trump is just a puppet at this point. The targets need to go deeper.

imaround Wed 12-Aug-26 14:42:54

83 days to election. 🤞🏼

Story is that he was whisked out of the event hidden in a kitchen cart. You can imagine the memes going around right now. That is an image that I will never forget, thank goodness. grin

Oh Lord, I just had a thought. I really hope they use one of these memes at his funeral someday. shock

Dickens Wed 12-Aug-26 13:48:38

MrsMatt

In Trumps head everyone else is dispensable and replaceable, because he is perfect and doing such a wonderful job.

I have never hated someone so much in my life as that man.

I have never hated someone so much in my life as that man.

From what I can gather - his upbringing and family environment was such that his subsequent behaviour would almost be guaranteed. Of course, I'm only going on what info is available to everyone. I try to not hate but with him it's a bit of a challenge.

I despise more those who, surely, know his weaknesses and awful narcissism, but choose to - not only support him - but attempt to shout down anyone who opposes him, to protect their own interests... those crowding around him in the Oval Office during morning-prayers, as if he is some Deity, fawning over him whilst he sits there with his pursed lip and that truculent look he's adopted.

And those in the public arena who must be aware of his awful attitude towards women, some ex-servicemen, etc, but because he derides the same people they do, are more than happy to cheer him (quite literally) on.

Because, without those people, he would not have the power that he holds and would not be allowed to do the things he does.

I've mentioned this before, there was at some point some mass-produced (hopefully, a 'limited' edition) of T-shirts with the legend, "you can grab my pussy anytime Mr President" and these were proudly sported at one of the numerous rallies by middle-aged women. Did they not understand that Trump's fetish is for young women? It's their daughters he'd be more interested in.

Oh America, I think occasionally that you should be given the grace to see yourselves as others might see you. sad

Boz Wed 12-Aug-26 13:35:30

Trump would not have had any say in this. The Secret Services would move into a plan of action without consultation, as did our SS when Theresa May had to be extradited at speed from the HoP.

MrsMatt Wed 12-Aug-26 13:03:29

In Trumps head everyone else is dispensable and replaceable, because he is perfect and doing such a wonderful job.

I have never hated someone so much in my life as that man.

Cressida Wed 12-Aug-26 12:54:53

He saved his nice new plane, too.

sodapop Wed 12-Aug-26 12:37:38

Yet we continue to be surprised by the flagrant self interest of this man. Unbelievable.

Maremia Wed 12-Aug-26 12:23:51

Would be interesting to know which White House staffers were left in the plane?
Wonder how they feel about being considered 'expendible'?