Gransnet forums

Chat

Are terrorist causes ever right?

(18 Posts)
Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:51:36

As suggested, I am starting a new thread.

This is not intended to downplay any terrorism act, against anyone, ever.

I was brought up as a C of E Christian, my DH as strict catholic.

Neither of us value “formal” religion at this point of our lives.

Me, simply because so many terrible things appear to happen in the name of “god”. My DH because he went to an all boys grammar school run by “barbaric”, (his words), Jesuit priests.

Anyway, my husband was born in the Republic of Ireland, in what was a tiny village (at the time) on the coast, just outside of Dublin.

His history, many relatives on both maternal and paternal side.

There is still ill feeling in some of the elders, towards the English, for very good reasons.

Do they support the IRA, absolutely not, do they understand them, yes.

I was brought up by very historically and politically aware parents, both my biological father and adoptive father were in the British Army and my mother, until married served in the Women’s Army.

I was horrified as I got older to realise that there were people in the world who were holocaust deniers. I simply couldn’t understand this, nor could I (or can I now) understand why the Jews were/are so persecuted.

However, I did also learn that it was not just Jews who were targeted by the Nazi’s, though they were very much the majority.

I understand why Israel was created and why Jews were given a place of their own.

However, if you do know your history, you’ll also know that since WW2, various Israeli governments wanted the remainder of Palestine for themselves.

I’m very aware I’m simplifying this.

So I guess what I’m saying is this, I utterly condemn the violence shown by both the IRA and Hamas, I condemn that their “tactics” include bombing, killing, torturing, kidnapping totally innocent people.

However, whilst I’ll never ever condone or understand their actions, perhaps I do understand their cause.

Does that make me a terrorist supporter, I like to think not, nor a “sympathiser”, but it does me ponder about the “why”, from every side.

I cannot support what is currently happening in Gaza (and many other countries).

I’m truly sorry if that makes anyone angry or sad or frightened.

I’m not anti Semitic and I hope no one here will consider me so. thanks

Oreo Wed 07-Oct-26 19:55:59

I must say I have never thought that you were antisemitic Cossy but cannot say the same of some others.
Some terrorist causes can be considered right but their methods are never right and therein lies the difference.

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:57:42

I am terrified of anyone who understands them, sorry cossy. It is probably because I know they would kill me.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:58:24

Oreo

I must say I have never thought that you were antisemitic Cossy but cannot say the same of some others.
Some terrorist causes can be considered right but their methods are never right and therein lies the difference.

I certainly couldn’t agree more thanks

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 19:59:48

Galaxy

I am terrified of anyone who understands them, sorry cossy. It is probably because I know they would kill me.

I don’t think I understand them, which is slightly different I believe, to understanding their cause. I know that sounds quite mad, but that’s just how I feel.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:00:02

I could never support a terrorist organisation, the clue is in their name terror

Galaxy Wed 07-Oct-26 20:00:16

Hamas.

AGAA4 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:01:49

I understand what causes terrorism but can't condone the brutality meted out to those they feel have blighted their lives.
As it's always innocents who are killed or maimed it really doesn't help their cause.

Fallingstar Wed 07-Oct-26 20:09:26

I think some people have good cause to want to fight for their freedom. The ANC in South Africa. The Kurds in Iraq, Iran, and Turkey. The IRA and of course Palestinians. But as Oreo has said the methods used can be very wrong. It is innocent people who suffer.
It all comes down to a lack of negotiation/dialogue, often with a powerful nation refusing to talk with terrorists. Thankfully the GFA broke this stalemate and proved how dialogue could bring a lasting peace. The fact is if governments refuse to get round the table, or terrorist groups refuse, the lives of innocents will continue to be lost.
And if it doesn’t work at first or even after the fifth or sixth time, it is still incumbent upon those involved to reach some kind of an agreement. Nothing is impossible unless we keep insisting this is the case.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 20:11:09

Fallingstar

I think some people have good cause to want to fight for their freedom. The ANC in South Africa. The Kurds in Iraq, Iran, and Turkey. The IRA and of course Palestinians. But as Oreo has said the methods used can be very wrong. It is innocent people who suffer.
It all comes down to a lack of negotiation/dialogue, often with a powerful nation refusing to talk with terrorists. Thankfully the GFA broke this stalemate and proved how dialogue could bring a lasting peace. The fact is if governments refuse to get round the table, or terrorist groups refuse, the lives of innocents will continue to be lost.
And if it doesn’t work at first or even after the fifth or sixth time, it is still incumbent upon those involved to reach some kind of an agreement. Nothing is impossible unless we keep insisting this is the case.

thanks

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 20:11:45

GrannyGravy13

I could never support a terrorist organisation, the clue is in their name terror

I most definitely do not support terrorists not their actions.

Casdon Wed 07-Oct-26 20:12:26

The government definition of a terrorist organisation is a group that uses violence, property damage, or severe disruptions to spread fear and advance political, religious, or ideological goals. I don’t support the use of violence, damaging property or spreading fear in any circumstances, nor do I support governments, religions or rulers who do any of those things to their own or other peoples.

Wyllow3 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:13:16

Watch this.

A holocaust survivor, London

www.facebook.com/reel/798244136038392

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:14:04

I wasn’t suggesting you do Coasy

There are ways to get one’s point across without violence.

Peaceful protests, sit ins, etc.

Fallingstar Wed 07-Oct-26 20:21:14

GrannyGravy13

I wasn’t suggesting you do Coasy

There are ways to get one’s point across without violence.

Peaceful protests, sit ins, etc.

I agree totally.
But what if you are not allowed to protest?
Many oppressed groups could be arrested tortured and imprisoned for protesting.
In Kurdistan of Turkey up until the 1990s a Kurd could be arrested for speaking Kurdish, goodness knows what the punishment for protesting would have been. And so the PKK a terrorist organisation was formed.
But of course if there is a way to protest peacefully that is the preferred method.

TheatreLover Wed 07-Oct-26 20:22:43

Wyllow3

Watch this.

A holocaust survivor, London

www.facebook.com/reel/798244136038392

'A part of the same cry for humanity'.

What an inspiring speaker.

Cossy Wed 07-Oct-26 20:31:18

GrannyGravy13

I wasn’t suggesting you do Coasy

There are ways to get one’s point across without violence.

Peaceful protests, sit ins, etc.

Yes, and I think this the way most of us would think (I would hope)

greyfur16 Wed 07-Oct-26 20:37:39

I think Nelson Mandela was a terrorist possibly?