Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to say that husband was irresponsible?

(65 Posts)
singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 14:08:15

Yesterday we took the grandsons (8 and 11) to an event in the park and when we were walking back to the car they wanted a wee so we turned into the playpark where there is a toilet. I waited near the entrance but after quite a while I went to look for them and discovered that DH had let them, fully clothed, go into the splashpark bit where there were water cannons, water buckets on poles etc. They were having a wonderful time, of course, but were wet through. I said this was irresponsible since we do not keep spare clothes at our house and they were an hour away from home. In actual fact we had a couple of pairs of pyjamas (which I had bought a while ago when their overnight bag didn't contain any) but DH had not remembered that, so as far as he knew they would be in wet clothes and shoes for a while. He said it was ok because they were enjoying themselves. We got home and they put on the pyjamas which they went home in. I am upset still because he didn't think it through. I, of course, would not have allowed them to go in and I am aware that one of the reasons for that is that I had a very strict upbringing and fun and risk taking was not really on the agenda. At nearly 80 I am not going to change now but I feel quite down today, and still quite cross with DH.

Witzend Wed 19-Aug-26 20:05:04

Honestly, as long as they had fun, don’t let it upset or bother you.

We’ve been in this position twice with the Gdcs. Last year it was at the Wetlands Centre at Barnes, where there was a play water feature in the brilliant children’s playground. It was a very warm day, other children were running around in the water - of course ours were dying to join in. They were then 5, 9, 10.

They all got soaked, and although I had a change of clothes at home, since they were staying, we had 2 long bus rides before we got there!

Just recently this year, they were dying to have a go at the Water Wars (don’t ask!) at Bocketts Farm. Dh joined in - they all got very wet. Luckily there was time to run around in the sun before the drive home.
No harm done either time! But they had a lovely time.

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-26 19:52:33

And when we paddled a canoe on the lake in the country park, GS sat in the middle and whoever sat behind him would always get a soaking - it was usually me!

Margs Wed 19-Aug-26 19:51:29

If he's being lauded as a 'Fun Grandpa' does that mean you are being silently labelled 'Grumpy Granny'?

If that's the case then you'd be justified in making your feelings known quite clearly.

Greyduster Wed 19-Aug-26 19:47:56

I lost count of the number of times that either GS or DH would end up wet through - either retrieving a football from the shallow river in the park, paddling in some moorland stream or squirting each other with super soakers in the garden. There wasn’t always a change of clothes available for either of them! GS will still have “do you remember when grandad….?” moments from time to time. They are very precious. Make the most of them.

valdali Wed 19-Aug-26 19:41:11

Have to say, singing, I'm with your husband on this one. They're not going to get pneumonia from being in wet clothes a while in the current temperatures. & what fun!

Aldom Wed 19-Aug-26 19:36:24

One of my best memories from my early teens is of rowing on a lake with my friend. We decided to change ends and in the process the boat capsized and I fell into the lake.
I came out soaked to the skin and we had to get the bus home with me looking like a wet scarecrow!
But how we laughed. It's a good memory.
I'd give your husband a hug if I were you and tell him he'd got it right.
The little boys will treasure the memory long after you are gone.
My friend who was rowing with me died suddenly eight years ago, but she's always there in that fun memory.

Grammaretto Wed 19-Aug-26 19:30:59

I took my Nottingham DGC on the bus into Nottingham city centre when they were the ages of your 2.
We had intended to go to the castle or something but found a "beach" complete with paddling pools, fountains and water sprays.
They looked longingly for a few minutes so first I said they could paddle and soon they were thoroughly wet.
No towels or spare clothes. There was a nearby shop Primark or something and I bought them both t shirts so we could get on the bus home.
So much more fun than the castle would have been.
Sometimes you have to relax and be spontaneous.

Luckygirl3 Wed 19-Aug-26 19:17:09

It's just a bit of water ... which will vanish quickly in this heat!

Your OH was right .... they are only young once!

Cossy Wed 19-Aug-26 19:14:12

singingnutty

Thanks for all the comments so far and I do appreciate your views and advice to me to try to unbutton a bit. I just need to say that I didn’t ‘overrule’ DH except I did let him know I wasn’t happy and I certainly did not rage about the wet clothes. No point! As far as the boys knew I didn’t disapprove although perhaps they may have noticed body language!

I think you just still have a tiny part of you that acknowledges your own parents would have disapproved.

Please don’t dwell on this, it happened, everyone was fine and I’m sure you’ve forgiven “fun” Grampa now.

Make the most of your lovely DGC, they grow up so quickly.

Don’t beat yourself up or your DH. thanks

ClicketyClick Wed 19-Aug-26 19:09:08

Luke others have said they'll remember that day with such fondness and if they'd had to have worn their Gd's dry clothes that would have just added to their memories. Life's too short to not let go of any inhibitions. I hope at the next fun time that you feel able to join in and show that grandma can be fun as well

Franbern Wed 19-Aug-26 16:53:07

As part of the main shopping street where I live, there is also a large square (used for Festivals, markets etc.) Part of this are fountains, which get small then grow and grow and then get small again.

Children love these, no matter what the weather, there are usually children playing in them, getting soaking wet. Sometimes, parents/carers in the know change them into swimming cossies. but most just go in their normal clothes. Even when the weather is quite chilly you will see youngsters playing happily in these fountains.
It is fun to watch them and the occasional pet dog that joins in.

Oldnproud Wed 19-Aug-26 16:50:54

butterandjam

Before there were water parks, on a hot summers day kids would get soaked to the skin with the garden hose or water pistols or just splashing in a loch pond or stream while the adults either watched or joined in.

It's called harmless fun.

Absolutely. Your post has just brought back many memories of playing in streams as a child, and not even an adult with us by the time we were about eight.
Looking back, I think we were the last of the free-range kids in our country area, and i feel sorry for those only slightly younger who never enjoyed that freedom.
We never took a towel or anything with us, but it didnt bother us or our parents that we must have walked home in wet clothes.

The garden hose felt like a huge treat - that only happened occasionally, in dry spells, if my dad decided to water the lawn in the evening. I would wear my swimming costume for that.

Those are happy memories 😊

butterandjam Wed 19-Aug-26 16:25:22

Before there were water parks, on a hot summers day kids would get soaked to the skin with the garden hose or water pistols or just splashing in a loch pond or stream while the adults either watched or joined in.

It's called harmless fun.

ginny Wed 19-Aug-26 15:59:35

In their everyday clothes would have been much more fun than in a swimsuit. On a warm day it wouldn’t have bothered me at all. Actually I might have joined in. 😁

Oldnproud Wed 19-Aug-26 15:46:04

I've let my two DGC play in water twice over the summer holidays, and both times one of them had to go back to mine (by car) in wet clothes. The weather was hot and sunny, so why not?
They had so much fun that im sure it will be a happy memory for them in the future, and watching their excitement is now a happy memory for me too.

I can see how your upbringing might have played a part in how you felt, singingnutty, but perhaps it isn't too late to become a rebel - go there again and maybe join them in the water, even if you only get your toes wet. 😄

Fallingstar Wed 19-Aug-26 15:22:54

eazybee

^I, of course would not have allowed them to go in as I had a very strict upbringing and fun and risk-taking were not really on the agenda,^

So do you really believe that was a good upbringing?
One that you have presumably replicated?

A bit harsh.

eazybee Wed 19-Aug-26 15:17:07

I, of course would not have allowed them to go in as I had a very strict upbringing and fun and risk-taking were not really on the agenda,

So do you really believe that was a good upbringing?
One that you have presumably replicated?

singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 15:16:30

Thanks for all the comments so far and I do appreciate your views and advice to me to try to unbutton a bit. I just need to say that I didn’t ‘overrule’ DH except I did let him know I wasn’t happy and I certainly did not rage about the wet clothes. No point! As far as the boys knew I didn’t disapprove although perhaps they may have noticed body language!

Fallingstar Wed 19-Aug-26 15:03:10

Sounds like the GCs loved it, and as my old dad would say to my mum when we got wet whilst playing outside ‘don’t fuss, they’ll not melt.’

Georgesgran Wed 19-Aug-26 15:01:20

Can’t wait!!

62Granny Wed 19-Aug-26 15:01:05

How do you want to be remembered? As the person who let them have a great time in the splash park or the one who raged because their clothes were wet! I know which one I would rather be🤔 note to self ask their parents to pack a spare T-shirt and shorts and a pair of crocs, next time.

JenniRen Wed 19-Aug-26 15:00:48

I do understand how you may feel, singingnutty, because I had a school friend whose mother was very particular and she was never allowed to get wet or dirty and would get into trouble if she did or spoilt her clothes.
There was a photo of her on FB not long ago, she seems to have rebelled in her old age. Not dirty, but outrageous hair and clothes!

Georgesgran Wed 19-Aug-26 15:00:46

My DGS2 did the same at Chester le Street park two Saturday’s ago. He’s only 5 and we explained he’d have to go back to my house, in Mummy’s car with no clothes on, as he’d be soaked through.
He was up for it and I always have an outfit or two here for him, as he’s a frequent visitor and often gets dirty, wet or both! He thought it was great fun and can wait to do it again.

BlueBelle Wed 19-Aug-26 14:52:14

Ahh I think they had a whale of a time and something they ll remember . My adult grandson still recalls the day I rode his little bike, legs a kimbo, down a hill with no brakes and when I played footie out I the alleyway
We are allowed to let our hair down and do daft things once in a while that’s what memories are built on
Do something daft with them up yourself you might have a
whale of a time
I’m sorry it’s made you feel down singingnutty and afraid you may feel worse now as everyone seems to agree with your fun loving husband and not your strictness
Let your hair down it’s NEVER too late

Shelflife Wed 19-Aug-26 14:47:23

I fully understand how you feel. However in the grand scheme of things its not the end of the world! Although getting 2 dripping boys into the car - now thats a very different matter !!!!!????