Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to say that husband was irresponsible?

(65 Posts)
singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 14:08:15

Yesterday we took the grandsons (8 and 11) to an event in the park and when we were walking back to the car they wanted a wee so we turned into the playpark where there is a toilet. I waited near the entrance but after quite a while I went to look for them and discovered that DH had let them, fully clothed, go into the splashpark bit where there were water cannons, water buckets on poles etc. They were having a wonderful time, of course, but were wet through. I said this was irresponsible since we do not keep spare clothes at our house and they were an hour away from home. In actual fact we had a couple of pairs of pyjamas (which I had bought a while ago when their overnight bag didn't contain any) but DH had not remembered that, so as far as he knew they would be in wet clothes and shoes for a while. He said it was ok because they were enjoying themselves. We got home and they put on the pyjamas which they went home in. I am upset still because he didn't think it through. I, of course, would not have allowed them to go in and I am aware that one of the reasons for that is that I had a very strict upbringing and fun and risk taking was not really on the agenda. At nearly 80 I am not going to change now but I feel quite down today, and still quite cross with DH.

Oldnproud Sat 22-Aug-26 11:11:22

Spam reported

AnthonyWillaim01 Sat 22-Aug-26 10:45:17

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Basgetti Sat 22-Aug-26 10:24:13

They had a great time.
I so wish my husband was still with us and able to do daft things with our grandson.

Lighten up a little.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Aug-26 06:45:37

Well done Singingnanny for trying to chill out a bit and like you say they are now living with the consequences they ll take their shoes off next time 😂😂😂

Realky Fri 21-Aug-26 23:30:48

It depends on the weather doesn't it? You have no reason to apologise for your upbringing. If one of the children was slightly unwell, Mum may not be happy with their sitting around in wet clothes. They are other people children and he is unreasonable and thoughtless to leave you waiting outside, he isn't 7.

JenniRen Fri 21-Aug-26 22:48:06

singingnutty

Thanks everyone. I am going to try to chill out a bit more! I had to smile yesterday though when we were taking them out because, putting on their shoes, they were complaining as they were still quite wet.

😁

Stuff them with newspaper.

(The shoes, not the children.)

Visgir1 Fri 21-Aug-26 19:08:32

Whoops.... See about I would have done the same.

Visgir1 Fri 21-Aug-26 19:07:28

No I wouldn't let it bother me, in fact my GC have done it, and my DD did it once, when she was about 8, in a theme park, didn't have any spare clothes, we just bought a big cheap Tshirt and she kept her wet pants one. Tbh, as a child think I would have

Emeraldforest Fri 21-Aug-26 18:55:01

Hm...I think grandad is getting away with more than grandma would!
There aren't any grandpa's in this family,sadly,just this one nanny,I'm not a killjoy but I would have been irritated and I don't think my grandchildren's parents would be exactly thrilled.

Aldom Fri 21-Aug-26 14:48:09

Thank you for updating us SN. ☺️

icanhandthemback Fri 21-Aug-26 14:42:54

Thank you for your update. The children are quietly learning actions and consequences which I think is a good way to learn.

westendgirl Fri 21-Aug-26 13:56:18

I remember my two grandsons getting quite wet in the temporary sprays at the Hay ward gallery. It meant a trip to the nearest store to find some dry clothes as we were off to the theatre that evening. We had a great evening and if their shoes were wet well no one noticed.
My grandsons now are grown up but we do have do you remember when times.

LemonJam Fri 21-Aug-26 13:43:25

Thanks for your update singingnutty- I read many posts on AIBU and it's often the case the OP doesn't come back to give an update to outcome after lots of feedback suggestions.

Good for you. Your grandsons enjoyed the moment in the sun on Tuesday and now aware of the consequences. But no harm done and happy times and fond memories for all to look back on.

singingnutty Fri 21-Aug-26 13:30:16

Thanks everyone. I am going to try to chill out a bit more! I had to smile yesterday though when we were taking them out because, putting on their shoes, they were complaining as they were still quite wet.

Beeb Thu 20-Aug-26 07:54:52

I can relate to what you’re saying. I had a strict upbringing and my DH is much more free spirited. I probably would have been frustrated with my DH in those circumstances, however I know that at times I need to shake it off and lighten up. If your GC noticed you being cross that’s fine - might have made them feel it was a bit naughty and so a bit more fun, but also would have emphasised that it’s not a sensible everyday activity. No harm done, it was a hot day, and they had a great time. Hope it’s water under the bridge.

labazs Thu 20-Aug-26 07:41:46

bet they had a ball! its hard to lighten up if you are not like that me included but wet clothes are nothing. soon dry or put on line or stop at Tesco get some cheap outfits.

Daddima Thu 20-Aug-26 06:58:45

NotSpaghetti

I do hope you are feeling better today singingnutty

I do too, and as ginny said, being in everyday clothes would be a big part of the fun!
I can guess what their next request will be when an outing is suggested, so maybe have a change of clothes at your house.

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 05:38:49

I do hope you are feeling better today singingnutty

NotSpaghetti Thu 20-Aug-26 05:37:41

Were they?
😃
I obviously invented that! Apologies!

singingnutty Wed 19-Aug-26 21:53:09

Well, how did you know they were Christmas pyjamas? !!!! 😀😀

NotSpaghetti Wed 19-Aug-26 21:48:46

I'd give your husband a hug if I were you and tell him he'd got it right.

Yes. Give him a big hug and remember the happy day for the joy your grandchildren had.

It may even become a bit of a jokey memory in years to come, and you will be able to laugh at yourself with them...

"^Remember when we larked about in the water feature and granny got cross because we had no dry clothes^ ... and then we had to go home in *Christmas pyjamas*"

gringringrin
Yes, value that "silly" man.

icanhandthemback Wed 19-Aug-26 21:13:18

MawsRosie

Sadly this is why grandpas are generally regarded as more fun than (sensible) grannies!

Not in this house. Grandad is known as the grumpy old man. I am far more relaxed as long as it not hurting anybody else or themselves.

Gran22boys Wed 19-Aug-26 20:37:15

I’m the fun one. My DH is like the fun police. He had a strict upbringing- no fun at all. I always tell him to chill out but he finds it hard to do. Such a shame. Life shouldn’t be always serious. .

MawsRosie Wed 19-Aug-26 20:31:11

Sadly this is why grandpas are generally regarded as more fun than (sensible) grannies!

Aldom Wed 19-Aug-26 20:07:58

Margs

If he's being lauded as a 'Fun Grandpa' does that mean you are being silently labelled 'Grumpy Granny'?

If that's the case then you'd be justified in making your feelings known quite clearly.

Singingnutty put her OP in AIBU.
She was asking a question. We've given her our opinions. That is what she wanted from us
We're not suggesting SN is grumpy at all. Simply saying that, yes we do think her husband was right in this instance.