Gransnet forums

AIBU

Neighbour dilemma

(63 Posts)
EbbandFlo Tue 01-Sept-26 10:10:29

Hi. New to this site so not sure what to expect but I have a dilemma and would be very interested in other people’s thoughts
I have a new neighbour that shares my fence at the bottom of my garden. Unfortunately, we didn’t get off to a good start as his actions has had a serious affect on my garden. I asked him politely about the matter and he was pretty hostile so I let it go
He has now added a huge shed, a greenhouse, a patio area and an arbour, all against my fence. Consequently, he spends all the time that he’s in the garden right next to us. All, of course, he has the right to do so, even though it’s annoying to have our previous privacy disturbed
However, the main problem is that the man never stops whistling. I don’t mean under -the- breath soft tune. I mean something of the decibel of a ref’s whistle. The repertoire is pheeee-ew, the whistling from the McDonalds advert and often wolf-whistling. It is unbelievably intrusive
My DH and I love our garden, listen to the birds, grow veg and flowers now we are retired and it makes a huge difference to my mental health.
I’m very annoyed with myself for it to affect me so much but I’m afraid it does. I go in when he’s outside. Just don’t know how to handle it. I really don’t want the stress of a confrontation
Thank you for listening

greyfur16 Tue 01-Sept-26 16:52:30

friendlygingercat

My feeling is that the only good neighbour is a dead one. I would love to live next to a cemetery.

Try putting a "spell of banishment" on him. You can Google how to do it. The idea is to make him move away or completely lose interest in you.

Our neighbours brighten my day. A cheery wave or a little catch up on how the family are doing.

Astitchintime Tue 01-Sept-26 16:54:39

NotSpaghetti

It's a height issue I think you'll find Astitchintime.
We recently replaced a wooden shed with a brick one. It had to be below a certain height if within a metre of the fence in order to not need planning permission.

Probably is a height thing…….but still needs researching 8n the local council website

Astitchintime Tue 01-Sept-26 16:57:25

*on

MT62 Tue 01-Sept-26 17:00:35

Blinking heck, whistling, I hate it 😩
I stopped shopping at our local Tesco’s years ago because one the staff members use to whistle, it would set off my tinnitus.
Like Sarnia says it can affect stress levels.
I think if you have room I would plant some laurels as a sound barrier, plus privacy.

Stansgran Tue 01-Sept-26 17:39:57

We had a neighbour who sounded as though he was whistling all the time but in fact he had lung problems. It was really wheezing.We have a large garden but he could be heard throughout. He gardened a lot but did go in for meals. I sympathise.

JenniRen Tue 01-Sept-26 19:58:25

My feeling is that the only good neighbour is a dead one. I would love to live next to a cemetery.
Goodness, you're unlucky!

Our next door neighbours have just put their house on the market. They're very quiet but friendly and we know they're there if we need them, vice versa. We're hoping we don't get new noisy neighbours.

EbbandFlo, there are planning regulations regarding the height and proximity of sheds etc to neighbours' borders. Contact your local CC Planning Department.

As for the whistling, buy a loud whistle. When he whistles, you blow yours right on the border!!

EbbandFlo Tue 01-Sept-26 20:45:59

friendlygingercat

My feeling is that the only good neighbour is a dead one. I would love to live next to a cemetery.

Try putting a "spell of banishment" on him. You can Google how to do it. The idea is to make him move away or completely lose interest in you.

Thank you so much for all your comments. Really helped. This made me laugh

valdali Tue 01-Sept-26 20:55:02

The blackbirds round here learned to mimic the distinctive whistle I used to recall the dog. It's just possible justwoke up is right & it's not always him whistling but birds copying...

JenniferEccles Tue 01-Sept-26 22:50:47

“Invite him round for a mushroom Wellington supper!”
I love it watermeadow !

The best suggestion by far to eliminate the problem for good!

OldFrill Wed 02-Sept-26 08:55:25

Sounds like mynah birds which will sing, whistle, talk loudly and incessantly even without a human present.

Oreo Wed 02-Sept-26 10:24:12

Sadly nothing you can do except move house! He may be doing it expressly to annoy you, so if you ignore it then it may stop.

NotSpaghetti Wed 02-Sept-26 10:25:36

I expect it's not done to annoy.
This is just who he is!
🤷‍♀️

Mandymoo456 Wed 02-Sept-26 10:39:58

My neighbours put their radio on or TV and if I don't like it I put a radio on outside which I enjoy especially Sunday 70 s music, I think it has helped to keep it all in check ☺️

midgey Wed 02-Sept-26 11:32:56

I’m afraid I might be like your neighbour, I whistle and sing an awful lot most days. Perhaps I should turn my volume down!

AuntieE Thu 03-Sept-26 14:31:15

Have you ascertained that he legally could erect a shed and other things so close to your common boundary? Where I live this would not be legal.

If he is whistling to annoy your, he certainly will not stop if you mention it. On the other hand, if he is just whistling, perhaps without even realising he is doing so nearly all the time, he won't stop unless you mention it.

So whatever you do might be wrong.

Any chance of you and your husband getting to know this person better? Then you might be able to discuss his whistling without giving offence.

Would a quick growing hedge on your side of the fence cut the sound?

NotSpaghetti Thu 03-Sept-26 14:58:51

If you are in England (or Wales) ​the General Permitted Development Order of 2015 has these restrictions:

​Height limit within 2m of boundary: 2.5 metres maximum.
​Outbuildings cannot cover more than 50% of the total land around the original house.
​Regarding raised platforms/decking, anything above 30 cm requires planning permission.

But I assume it's the whistling that is the real issue? Not the patio, arbour and huge shed so probably looking this up was irrelevant.

What were his actions that had a serious affect on your garden?

Plevey08 Thu 03-Sept-26 15:02:13

I sympathise with you EbbandFlow as an annoying and inconsiderate neighbour can be a living hell. I've had experience of one. I think a really polite letter, put through his door, saying that he probably isn't aware of how loud his whistling is, but it really affects the pleasure of you listening to the birds etc. keep a copy. If he continues record on your phone how often and the loudness of noise. Do this consistently for a few weeks. Then contact, possibly the noise abatement team at the county council...someone else on here might know who specifically to talk to. But they will need evidence. Who would want to listen to that in their own garden.?

Duvetdiva Thu 03-Sept-26 15:37:45

As NotS said he may not be whistling to annoy you. It might just be something he does. A neighbour of ours had a workman who whistled all the time, which quite amused us but I’m sure it would get on our nerves if it was every day
Not something you hear much these days but in my father’s era lots of men whistled.

StoneofDestiny Thu 03-Sept-26 15:39:56

What a nightmare - whistling at volume is a real intrusion, but I'm amazed someone can do it for a long time. A dog barking would be horrendous - how anybody allows that to disturb neighbours is beyond me. You'd think you would keep it inside or take it out.

Such a shame people cannot recognise the right of people to have the quiet enjoyment of their own home.

Esmay Thu 03-Sept-26 16:25:52

Quiet and reserved as my Father was -he spent all day whistling.
It was a flat repetitive "tune ".
Mum and I zoned out .
But friends used to ask us how we could stand it .

Neighbours can be so annoying .
I've changed Mr Poke Nose /Complain a lot for Mr Recluse .
I grew to dread seeing Mr Poke Nose and Mr Recluse is annoying about the broken fence and the weeds .
If his buildings touch your fence you can complain otherwise it's earphones and music .
Good luck .

BlueBelle Thu 03-Sept-26 16:47:16

To be fair your garden is your garden and his is his and you can’t really complain what he does in his at all, just as he can’t complain about yours….. as long as it’s all legal
I ve got very nice neighbours but they often have all night soirées with friends I can’t complain about noise as they talk very quietly but there are often garden lights on all night and a smell of cannibis 🤣they don’t stop me sleeping and it’s a case of live and let live
Whistling doesn’t bother me I like to hear a man whistle I always knew when my Dad was cycling home from work as I d hear him whistling as he cycled up the road but you ll have to learn to zone out
Do you have a front garden you could listen to the birds in.

It’s obviously a change to you and not a welcomed change but I certainly wouldn’t make an enemy of a next door neighbour.

win Thu 03-Sept-26 18:33:59

NotSpaghetti

I expect it's not done to annoy.
This is just who he is!
🤷‍♀️

Yes that is what I wonder, why does everyone think he is out to annoy OP, why would he?

Nashville Thu 03-Sept-26 19:10:19

Could you put up a shed/cabin your side of the fence so you wouldn’t be aware of his presence. You could sound proof the walls and it will create a sound barrier to the whistling. A gazebo would have the same effect. A tall fast growing hedge also.

I wouldn’t be approaching him - as you say you don’t need the stress.

SunnySusie Thu 03-Sept-26 19:53:45

I really sympathise. We have a neighbour who was alright until he retired when he took up the hobby of woodworking. On sunny days he sets up the circular saw near our fence and house and spends most of the day operating it. I find that particular noise unbearable and its even more irritating that he only does it on nice days when I would like to be in my garden listening to the birds and the wind in the trees. I dont really have an answer. I wear noise cancelling headphones but then I cant hear the birds. I go indoors every time he is out, but usually I am seething that I cant be in my beautiful garden. If only he would use the wretched saw in a shed. I havent tried talking to him because it might make it worse. Just wanted to offer you sympathy and say I know how you feel.

sparkle1234 Thu 03-Sept-26 20:15:13

Just a thought , has he maybe got some form of tourettes ?
I'd go with the headphones . It's not worth falling out with neighbours. He will make life hell for you . The whistling would drive me mad too 😤. Neighbours eh , even the best of them can be irritating 🙄