Gransnet forums

AIBU

I am sick of seeing pictures like this all over social media AIBU?

(103 Posts)
Sago Sun 14-Aug-22 09:01:45

More and more people are buying dogs, particularly some of the more unpredictable breeds, American Bully etc.
It’s one thing to own such a dog with children in the home but to post pictures like this, putting a child in danger and trying to humanise the animal is in my opinion abuse.
The child is at great risk.
AIBU?

Grannynannywanny Sun 14-Aug-22 09:11:54

I completely agree with you. I can’t get my head round how any responsible adult would stand back and take a photo while a dog is in such close proximity to a little baby. I would include any breed of dog not just that one. The baby just needs to make a sudden move and the dog could be startled enough to pounce.,

MerylStreep Sun 14-Aug-22 09:14:09

Sago
I couldn’t agree more ?
An issue that’s very close to me as I got bitten by a dog some weeks ago. All I was doing was standing there. He got me on the back of the hand. A nasty bite.
I’ve never been frightened of dogs but after this incident I don’t even pat my friends dog.

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 09:21:28

Not just pictures like that one, but ones where you see the child sitting on the dog or 'playing' with its ears or tail - an accident waiting to happen, and when it does, who pays the price - yes, the poor dog.
Don't get me wrong, I think it does children the world of good to grow up with a dog in the house, and dogs need to be introduced to the baby and get to know them, but it has to be done properly, and I would never leave a baby or young child along with any dog.
Dogs are not accessories or toys, and not only do they need to be taught how to behave around children, but children also need to be taught to behave around all animals.

annsixty Sun 14-Aug-22 09:27:34

A big Nono with me as well
In June my DG was bitten on the face by a friend’s dog.
She was traumatised and unfortunately has been left with a deep disfiguring scar.
It has caused her so much distress.
She knew this dog very well.
To have a large dog around babies is irresponsible and very dangerous.

Mollygo Sun 14-Aug-22 09:29:21

Yes I agree. You can’t guarantee what a dog might do, either in familiar surroundings or with strangers. Our 2nd dog was wonderful with our children as babies and as toddlers -though we never left her alone with them. However, when they started crawling, she would growl and bark at them. The children were unmoved, but it took a lot of petting and soothing to persuade our dog to accept they were no competition.

DillytheGardener Sun 14-Aug-22 09:34:19

I agree entirely. They are dogs and even good dogs are unpredictable. Which is why after any child is bitten there is the predicable refrain ‘my dog has never done anything like this before’.

Jaxjacky Sun 14-Aug-22 09:35:25

Slightly different, but still treating dogs as toys, are those pictures of dogs ‘dressed up’ in human, often children’s, clothing.

MrsKen33 Sun 14-Aug-22 09:37:11

My step granddaughter has a one year old and another baby.on the way. Their dog has bitten the one year old twice, but although they keep saying the dog will have to go, it hasn’t yet

BlueBelle Sun 14-Aug-22 09:47:41

OMGoodness how awful I ve not seen many like this Where do you see them? not seen any on my Fb newsfeed but then I don’t do Twitter or Tik tok etc so maybe that’s why

That’s bloody ridiculous and they should be taken to task for it Even a tiny dog can be unpredictable as for your step granddaughter mrsken what is wrong with people

I don’t like to see dogs around babies or small children unless they are very very well under control and as a recent thread was telling grandmothers they shouldn’t kiss babies that surely pales into insignificance against big dogs slobbering all over them

Kate1949 Sun 14-Aug-22 09:49:19

I've seen them. They are shocking.

Grannynannywanny Sun 14-Aug-22 09:51:42

I noticed on the top edge of the photo it says pitbulltribe.com. Presumably a website for like minded irresponsible people.

Sago Sun 14-Aug-22 09:55:56

Our third child was an unexpected but happy surprise, his siblings were 7 & 11, we had a family pet a “gentleman” of a Labrador.
I explained to both the children that babies took precedence over animals and that if there were to be any jealous behaviour the dog would be re homed.
Thankfully he was lovely with the baby and would lay outside beneath his pram.

My daughter was in the same position with a dog and their first child, the dog showed jealous tendencies and after a consultation with a canine psychiatrist he was re homed.

Kate1949 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:00:32

Yes sago it can happen. We had a friend years ago who had a Labrador she had had for years. It was placid. She then had a little girl. Our friend was putting washing out one day when she heard a terrific scream. The dog had severely bitten the child's face. She was scarred for life.

Luckygirl3 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:02:04

Horrible isn't it. Where can their brains be?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:07:14

We have an ancient terrier who has never bitten anything in his life, but he would no more be allowed near a child under 10 without supervision than I could fly through the air.

Apart from biting what about the bacteria from the dogs mouth etc ?

bluebird243 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:13:46

I saw a 1.5 minute video clip of a toddler sitting astride a Rottweiler holding it's ears and bouncing up and down all the time on him/her. I was horrified.

I am often stunned by the stupidity of some people. It takes one second for a dog to react.

I walk a lot and merely by walking past them on 2 occasions [one a lurcher type, one a large bulldog] ...a dog has lunged at me, one biting me on the leg breaking the fabric of my jeans. Thankfully both were on leashes. I was doing absolutely nothing to justify either reaction, not too close, not making any noise etc. One owner was horrified, one couldn't have cared less.

kircubbin2000 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:17:51

Cats as well. I have been looking after my neighbours large cat and though he has been friendly all week yesterday he stood up and whacked me across the face for no reason!

Georgesgran Sun 14-Aug-22 10:18:42

My DD2’s old dog wouldn’t hurt a fly (deliberately) but he’s a bit deaf and doesn’t see too well. As a result, until DGS2 is old enough to ‘leave the doggy alone’ I have him with me during the week, then he goes home at weekends when both DD2 and her DH are around.
My DDs grew up around dogs and there was never a problem, but there’s always a first time…..

Blondiescot Sun 14-Aug-22 10:19:14

Kate1949

Yes sago it can happen. We had a friend years ago who had a Labrador she had had for years. It was placid. She then had a little girl. Our friend was putting washing out one day when she heard a terrific scream. The dog had severely bitten the child's face. She was scarred for life.

But you don't know what led up to that - the child could have done something to provoke the dog.

Smileless2012 Sun 14-Aug-22 10:27:34

It's a tragedy waiting to happen isn't it. We have two adorable dogs, a toy poodle and a cockapoo and wouldn't dream of letting either of them get that close to a baby.

It makes you wonder if they have brains doesn't it Luckygirl.

Dickens Sun 14-Aug-22 10:30:26

Blondiescot

Kate1949

But you don't know what led up to that - the child could have done something to provoke the dog.

Precisely the point - only probably not in the way you mean it.

henetha Sun 14-Aug-22 10:32:01

Why do people do this? It's annoyed me for years, how people are so careless with their dogs. And dogs with babies in particular.
Please don't think I hate dogs, I don't, most of them are wonderful. But I was badly bitten as a child so naturally feel wary of them.

Lathyrus Sun 14-Aug-22 10:51:34

Blondiescot

Kate1949

Well, that’s the point isn’t it? It’s a lethal mix.

Since neither can be held entirely responsible for their actions, it’s up to the adults to be sensible.

nanna8 Sun 14-Aug-22 11:21:49

I feel quite sick looking at that picture. What on earth are they thinking ?