Gransnet forums

AIBU

M&S sparks offers

(47 Posts)
MacCavity2 Thu 22-Sep-22 10:15:04

Item out of stock when trying to use my discount. The next day when offer removed, there it was at the original price. That came back into stock very quickly. Tried to complain, computer says no. Thanks M&S.

ExDancer Thu 22-Sep-22 10:26:29

They think we're ignorant and can't see through their scams.

tickingbird Thu 22-Sep-22 10:33:22

I find trying to complain to M&S us virtually impossible. Last time I tried I didn’t even get a response.

glammanana Thu 22-Sep-22 11:00:59

What has gone so wrong with their Customer Service they used to be spot on regarding complaints.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Sep-22 11:12:25

glammanana

What has gone so wrong with their Customer Service they used to be spot on regarding complaints.

Not for a long time, glammanana

The Sparks card is a waste of time.

MacCavity2 Thu 22-Sep-22 11:53:59

Thanks for your support, I thought it was just me.

Interested Fri 23-Sep-22 08:06:35

Marks and Spencer produces cheap ill fitting clothes at extortionate prices. Their designers are producing clothes for 5ft 10in women when the average height in the UK is 5ft 4. I haven't been able to buy anything at M and S since they stopped doing petite sizes because the clothes fit badly. It has a terrible board of directors, and designers who are out of touch.

YorkLady Fri 23-Sep-22 08:10:46

As a 5’10” woman I can assure you that clothes from M&S don’t fit me unless I buy their tall range. Trying on a dress off the peg, I find the sleeves will be too short and the waistline under my bust!!!!!!
I do agree about the complaints department though.

Curlywhirly Fri 23-Sep-22 08:37:17

They certainly need to get new designers. I used to be able to find a few things I liked each season; but the clothes in recent years are dire - shapeless, baggy and made from inferior materials. The only things I buy now are underwear and an occasional jumper. Mind you, they are not alone - I think Next has lost it's way too (in their ladies clothing range). I'm struggling to find anything I like in today's highstreet, most shops have disappeared.

Casdon Fri 23-Sep-22 08:38:19

Interested

Marks and Spencer produces cheap ill fitting clothes at extortionate prices. Their designers are producing clothes for 5ft 10in women when the average height in the UK is 5ft 4. I haven't been able to buy anything at M and S since they stopped doing petite sizes because the clothes fit badly. It has a terrible board of directors, and designers who are out of touch.

I don’t think that’s true. I’m 5 ‘6”” and their clothes fit me well, I just have to be careful with the variable trouser length and try before I buy.

Yammy Fri 23-Sep-22 09:01:18

MacCavity2

Item out of stock when trying to use my discount. The next day when offer removed, there it was at the original price. That came back into stock very quickly. Tried to complain, computer says no. Thanks M&S.

I found exactly the same and as I was ordering bedding I now have an ill-matched set. M&S has been going downhill for a lot of years and I feel unfortunately John Lewis is going the same way. Very expensive clothes at one end and cheap one season at the other,
Too many flash promotions and cheap advertisements, I don't mind being told that there are only 3 left in my size but don't want to know they have sold 1000 today.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Sep-22 09:05:43

I am 5’2” and since Top Shop have disappeared from the High St. M & S petite jeans are the only ones that fit me. I have several different styles in multiple colours, they wash well and are wearing well. Their linen shirts are good along with basic camisoles.

I also prefer M & S and John Lewis children’s clothes as opposed to other high street stores.

Shelflife Fri 23-Sep-22 09:09:10

I agree Callistemon21, their sparks card was of no value to me whatsoever ever. I cancelled it and that was not an easy task! Quality of clothes has definitely deteriorated.

annsixty Fri 23-Sep-22 09:39:18

Their trousers labelled Short/petite are now at least 3 inches too long on me, I am a shorta..e.
Last week it cost me £26 to have two pairs shortened.
The quality has deteriorated on most things although food is still good.
To an oldy like me this is a huge disappointment as M&S was always so reliable in quality rather than style.

Witzend Sun 02-Oct-22 11:49:30

I’ve never had a Sparks card - despite a zillion offers - because the supposed benefits just didn’t seem worth bothering with an extra piece of plastic in my wallet.
Now, if they dished out points, like Boots….

Casdon Sun 02-Oct-22 12:22:00

I’m a fan of the Sparks card, I always load the offers onto my card, and wait to buy clothes until there’s an offer of 20% off. I also use it for food offers if they are something I buy anyway, and put things I won’t use immediately in the freezer. I had a free loaf of farmhouse bread this week on my card.

Aveline Sun 02-Oct-22 12:31:17

I've just bought four jumpers from M&S. All are going back. Nasty fabrics and an odd fit. Oh dear. Almost all my clothes are from M&S bought a few years ago and still going strong. Good quality wool or cotton. Not any more. sad

Casdon Sun 02-Oct-22 12:36:24

They still do good quality cotton jumpers and cardigans Aveline, I bought one a couple of weeks ago. I also bought some heavy cotton jeans, which don’t have elastane in as so many do. I think you have to go to the shop and search for things more than you used to, but there are still good quality items to be had. I’m not a sales rep for M&S by the way!

MeowWow Sun 02-Oct-22 12:46:18

Last year I bought 2 jumpers on sale at M&S. Both are of poor quality. One wash and they now look awful but they’ll do for wearing around the house. I’m thankful I didn’t pay full price for them. I have a few pairs of M&S trousers - tapered fit - and they are marvellous. I like some of their bras and panties too. Not all their clothes are poorly made. I’m always checking my Sparks card for offers and use them when they are relevant to me. Mostly they are not though.

Jaxjacky Sun 02-Oct-22 12:52:23

I buy my jeans there in long as I’m tall and shirts for MrJ.
Last week I bought a pack of 2 long sleeved t shirts in the sale for myself, £7.50, good quality cotton.

NotSpaghetti Sun 02-Oct-22 12:56:17

I don't bother with Sparks anymore either.
Waste of time/space.

M0nica Sun 02-Oct-22 13:33:14

Never have liked M&S, going right back to the 1960s. At work I saw all the trade press, full of articles saying how M&S had this wonderful new computer based stock control system, so that everything was always in stock, then I would go to the company's main branch in Oxford Street and they never had what I was looking for, because my size was very popular/ not much demand, ditto on colour or skirt length.

Anyway I have always considered their clothes to be designed for people 20 years older than I am, except that I am nearly 80, and my opinion hasn't changed.

Now and again, about once every 10 years, they do have a number of items I like, but I buy clothes more frequently than once every 10 years

Aveline Sun 02-Oct-22 13:47:58

Casdon one of the tops I bought was cotton but it's paper thin. Just not like other cotton items I've bought previously. Lots of things called 'cotton rich' which is just poly/cotton by another name. Lots of rather nasty 'recycled' nylony stuff. I quite liked some of the cashmere but even then it's much thinner than good quality cashmere.
I assure you I've searched our local very large M&S very thoroughly. I'm seriously disappointed.

Casdon Sun 02-Oct-22 14:02:52

This was the one I bought Aveline, it’s lovely.
www.marksandspencer.com/cotton-rich-ribbed-v-neck-jumper/p/clp60546628?intid=mobile_app_pdp_share

Aveline Sun 02-Oct-22 14:08:40

I'm glad you're happy with it Casdon