Gransnet forums

AIBU

It's all very well to laugh

(18 Posts)
absentgrana Tue 03-Jul-12 18:20:06

I haven't read Fifty Shades of Grey or the other books in the trilogy and I truly don't believe in censorship. From what I have read about the first book, it sounds absurd and the quotes in the newspapers are ridiculous. It is clear, even from these sources, that it is an astonishingly badly written and silly book.

However, I wonder a couple of things. Do yummy mummies feel that they would really like to try this stuff that specifically dehumanises and damages women? I realise that fantasy, especially sexual fantasy, can be a long way from what anyone wants in reality, but what messages are they sending out? Just for the record, I once inadvertently moved next door to a masochist – and soon moved out again because the screams and the sounds of whips were so sick-making that I couldn't even sleep when they'd stopped.

Secondly, what do yummy mummies do with their copies of the book. Do they feel comfortable with the possibility of an 8–, 10-, 15-year old son or daughter picking it up and leafing through the pages (and of course they can do Kindle)? Is it okay for your 8-year-old to be worried about Daddy whipping Mummy or for your 16-year-old son to consider that this is what he will look to be doing with his girlfriends as soon as he gets a chance?

For the record, I am not unfamiliar with erotic literature as, many years ago, I typed a friend's thesis on Victorian erotica – which was quite an eye-opener.

I am just really uncomfortable with this "publishing phenomenon", with its publicity and genial general acceptance.

Ariadne Tue 03-Jul-12 18:36:55

Had a look at it, didn't care for it. And like you, have no problem with erotica. But I agree, the hype has been repellent. Ah well, we have a choice, I suppose. I do remeber "Lady Chatterley"!

Anagram Tue 03-Jul-12 18:39:42

Some of the language in Lady Chatterley is a bit laughable, though! (IMO)

Hankipanki Tue 03-Jul-12 19:18:44

Not read it but from what I have read and heard I share your worries absent, especially about the messages it may be sending off to adolsecents and teenagers.

whenim64 Tue 03-Jul-12 19:44:19

My 30 year old daughter has downloaded it on to her Kindle and told me not to bother reading it, as it's total rubbish. She says the idea of S and M is sick-making, and she has continued to read the book so she can laugh about it with her friends. This tidal wave of interest seems to be about 'if you haven't read it, you're not in our clique.' My other daughter says she can't be bothered reading it, and she won't have any erotic literature in her house.
Neither of them think that it is creating an interest in aggressive or deviant sex amongst young people - they regard it as a laugh, and a good conversation topic. Neither of my sons (32 and 37) want to look at it - they like the banter about it, though, and delight in winding up their sisters, saying 'so much for feminism, then!'

I have things like the works of D H Lawrence on my bookshelves, and none of my children, when growing up, noticed that Lady Chatterley's Lover is contained within, and clearly written on the wide spine of the book. Teenagers will always look for something they think we wouldn't approve of, just to see what the concern is. Isolated teenagers who aren't in touch with their peer group, or who don't have an outlet for curiosity and interest in sex, are the ones who would concern me, but not from this book - from the internet.

glassortwo Tue 03-Jul-12 20:22:27

Its all hype and I have no interest in reading it, not because I have a problem with erotica but because it is badly written and I could be reading something worth reading.

The publishing house have done well advertising the book, they have set a seed and it has taken off and made them pots of money in the process.

It sends the wrong message to the next generation who as absent said can pick it up from the coffee table or look it up on the internet to find out what all the fuss is about, it leaves them thinking that this is acceptable behaviour and will it lead to a decline in the way young men treat women.

Does this generation think that they have invented sex!!!

Anagram Tue 03-Jul-12 20:35:31

The excerpts I've read are truly risible!
The moment the girl sees Mr Grey she thinks to herself 'He's freaking hot!' (needless to say, she's American). And apparently the author is rather coy about actually referring to Mr Grey's lower equipment - so she doesn't!

whenim64 Tue 03-Jul-12 21:06:25

You're right glass it is hype! Just shows what sells if people gossip about it enough!

nanaej Tue 03-Jul-12 21:14:30

cassandraparkin.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/adventures-in-trash-fifty-things-that-annoy-me-about-fifty-shades-of-grey/

Found this ink on mumsnet and posted it on other thread last night. Added here as maybe different readers on this thread. This link confirmed I was right no to bother with FSOG! also the blog is v funny!

whenim64 Tue 03-Jul-12 21:51:42

Read it earlier nanaej. If only the book itself was as witty! Might consider reading it grin

petallus Wed 04-Jul-12 08:42:45

Downloaded a sample to my Kindle some weeks ago and that was enough to convince me Fifty Shades of Grey was too banal, tedious and badly written to bother with. Also, I thought 'been there done that got the tee-shirt' (ha ha I mean read those sorts of books in my youth - didn't like them even then).

Ariadne Wed 04-Jul-12 12:46:43

I do agree about the message it sends out - the hype will invite younger people to read it.

Found this review on Amazon, and thought it quite amusing:

"This book is perfect if, like me, you have a wobbly table. It's just the right thickness."

Anne58 Wed 04-Jul-12 16:37:52

The ultimate S & M scenario? The masochist says "whip me" , the sadist says "No"

Annobel Wed 04-Jul-12 17:10:44

Another Amazon review:

'And what do you think you'll be reading when you graduate to second grade?'

Anne58 Wed 04-Jul-12 17:31:36

I think I must be very hype resistant, the more things are plugged, the more I shy away. I refused to see ET for years!

glammanana Wed 04-Jul-12 17:38:37

Have you ever noticed how things that are over hyped and over plugged are the biggest let down in the end ?

whenim64 Wed 04-Jul-12 17:39:43

ET was a lovely film - have watched it several times now, and the younger grandchildren will be ready to enjoy it soon smile

Anagram Wed 04-Jul-12 17:47:39

I avoided Titanic for that reason, phoenix - but when I finally did see it, I wept buckets! blush