Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

To iron or not to iron?

(20 Posts)
shysal Fri 18-Jan-13 15:32:49

I am knitting a sleeveless cardi in stocking stitch. The cheap 100% acrylic double knitting yarn is labelled 'do not iron', but it will look scruffy if I do not press it when completed. I would normally use a damp cloth on each piece before sewing up. Is the manufacturer just trying to avoid complaints? Has anyone tried and regretted it? I did once ruin a jumper in this way, I think it was a poodle knit which stretched massively. confused

j07 Fri 18-Jan-13 15:49:55

Ironing can flatten acrylic especially with a damp cloth. And it can get a shine Would it work to give it a gentle handwash and then dry it flat? I know it seems a shame.

Marelli Fri 18-Jan-13 15:53:16

Wouldn't iron/press it, shysal. What jingle suggests would be your best bet. I've made the same mistake in the past and ruined what could have been a nice bit of work!

Nelliemoser Fri 18-Jan-13 16:46:48

Have you done the blocking out to size bit and covering it with a damp cloth and then leave it to dry. it seems to work. I have found that the quality of acrylic yarn varies wildly, and its best not to buy the very cheapest. I use artificial fibres as most wool makes me itch like mad.

shysal Fri 18-Jan-13 16:54:00

Thanks all. I have not finished knitting it yet, so shall be very careful when the time comes.I said the yarn was cheap, but it was a reduced rather than low price, so fingers crossed. I also cannot wear wool.

helshea Sat 19-Jan-13 06:55:56

What's an iron? Never seen one for years.

Notsogrand Sat 19-Jan-13 08:59:31

As acrylic is essential plastic, ironing will 'melt' the fibres which results in the permanently stretched effect.
I follow Nellie's block & damp cloth method.

helshea...on the very rare occasions I use my iron, it invariably needs dusting first.

shysal Sat 19-Jan-13 09:24:27

Makes sense notso! Thanks.

petallus Sat 19-Jan-13 10:08:00

That's odd. My posts keep on disappearing.

I knitted an acrylic sleeveless cardigan a few months ago and then, because it looked scruffy, I gave it a good press with a damp cloth and iron.

It came out all stretched and flattened and I threw it away.

So don't press.

granmaMary Thu 03-Oct-13 12:47:17

I put all my knitting under the rug - the grandchildren know its there and can have a look how the garments are progressing. It gets pressed whilst under there!

Elegran Thu 03-Oct-13 13:33:15

I think the "good press" was too much for it. i never press woollen or acrylic things, but if they are looking a bit crumpled I sometimes pass a steam iron over it an inch or two above it - no weight on it at all, and the steam high enough to only sort of form a cloud over it.

Even gently washing acrylic things can make them go stretchy and out of shape!

MrsSB Thu 03-Oct-13 14:01:52

It's very easy to ruin acrylic hand knits by ironing them - I know, I've done it and regretted it. A very gentle ironing, on a very low heat, might be okay. You could knit a small test square and iron it to see how your yarn reacts to being ironed.

Cheronia1 Fri 04-Oct-13 09:12:46

If you spray the item lightly with a water spray, place a large cotton hankerchief over it and use a warm iron so that the acrylic won't melt, it should come out looking good.
I use this method for pure wool but with a hotter setting, you just have to lower the heat for yarns that are a mixture of wool and acrylic.

Nelliemoser Fri 04-Oct-13 16:07:10

GranmaMary You must be very confident about what mess might be under your rug! I would not dare to do that! wink

You can iron acrylic with a gently warm iron but never go anyway near it with any steam. I have been there ruined things as well.

jennycockerspaniel Fri 04-Oct-13 22:12:20

i was brought up in a family of kniter ie Grandma Mum, and they all put there knitting under the rug ,I have as well and they come out pressed and looking fine.

granmaMary Mon 11-Nov-13 11:43:57

Update - I am knitting 5 Christmas jumpers, red with white fair isle pattern round the bottom. They range from 4 years to 3 months. The carpet is getting very springy to walk on. One and a half to go!!!

gracesmum Mon 11-Nov-13 11:49:38

Do you have to duck yet to avoid hitting your head on the light fittings? grin Or get vertigo?

Agus Mon 11-Nov-13 18:12:04

I'm impressed granmaMary. They sound lovely and, yes, under the rug between paper works for me too.

MargaretX Mon 11-Nov-13 19:09:55

I can't understand the non ironers and the fact that they seem so proud of not ironing. Knitted things look so much better for being pressed before sewing.

storynanny Tue 12-Nov-13 18:12:53

ive knitted all my life and never press anything. In my opinion it flattens the stitches and looks odd. Actually thats not quite accurate, I do lightly press up picot edges.