Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

jigsaws

(46 Posts)
ninathenana Tue 12-Feb-13 17:59:20

Not really arts n crafts, but as there isn't a hobbies forum.........

I was wondering what's the quickest you've ever finished a puzzle? I've just completed one in 10hrs over 4days which is quick for me smile

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 11-May-23 09:53:41

During Lock Down MrOops mate borrowed some of my jigsaws, but he sorted all the pieces out in colour order, he had little Tupperware pots !

I thought that was an odd way to go about it.

Oopsadaisy1 Thu 11-May-23 09:50:56

oldbat some will go to the Charity shops, DDs want to sell some (they are unopened, some doubles, some are gifts that I really don’t like) and some will go to our Village Jigsaw swap people.
Some I will keep.
I always remember my elderly gardener some years ago, I can’t remember what the conversation was about, but I asked him if his wife would like a couple of jigsaws to do, he looked at me aghast ‘she isn’t ill ‘ he said and went off mumbling to himself.
He was a bit of a curmudgeon but I obviously didn’t offer again!
I’ll keep the Christmas ones though as the girls like to do them, we have a large case that opens out to do the jigsaws on and when it’s dinner time we zip the case up and stand it behind the sofa, the jigsaws don’t move in the case and I don’t have to rush to finish a puzzle.

CanadianGran Wed 10-May-23 21:16:43

My DH and I enjoy them, but it's a winter pastime for us. Typically we enjoy the 500 pc the most, but I bought for myself this year a 12 Days of Christmas set with 12 little 80 piece puzzles, and did one every day after work with a glass of cider.

I tend to start them, then go off to work and DH has completed a good portion during the day. We tend to sort a bit differently, so have run into some issues! Not enough to ruin the relationship,,,we have worked our way through it.

Boz Wed 10-May-23 16:26:25

Try to have a look at a Laurel and Hardy film called The Jigsaw Puzzle. Very, very funny.

sodapop Wed 10-May-23 16:16:16

That really made me laugh whenim64 what helpful grandchildren you have grin
I'm too impatient to do jigsaw puzzles I find them really frustrating.

Humbertbear Wed 10-May-23 07:46:49

I have a jigsaw app on my iPad and do a puzzle everyday. So much easier than having one spread over the dining room table and you can choose the number of pieces.

Aldom Tue 09-May-23 22:13:38

My local library recently started a Jig Saw Library.

Abitbarmy Tue 09-May-23 21:04:03

Another Ravensburger fan here! I’ve done the odd 2000 piece but prefer 1000 or smaller. If ever you’re up in North Yorkshire Oops I’ll buy a few off you!

Oldbat1 Tue 09-May-23 20:47:24

Oopsadaisy1 i too love Ravensburger Jigsaws but i also like Gibsons. I always have one on the go. Charity shop local to me 1000 piece cost £1 and 500 piece 50pence. Excellent!

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 09-May-23 16:40:49

I do lots of 1000 piece jigsaws, in fact I have about 50 to get rid of as part of my decluttering, I like the Ravensburger ones as they don’t fall apart as you do them.

Has anyone watched the film ‘Puzzle’? it’s the first time I realised that people do them for competition and money.

So many ‘old’ names on this 10 yr old thread

Greyduster Tue 09-May-23 15:39:14

DH loved jigsaws. He was working on one early last year, of Stonehenge. It’s a thousand piece stinker - all green and grey. I suppose I ought to have a go at it, but I haven’t the heart at the moment (or the patience if I’m honest!).

Cabbie21 Tue 09-May-23 15:29:03

I used to do jigsaws a lot when I was a child. I was very quick, but they were mostly 500 pieces.
Now I do them infrequently, but I did a lot in lockdown. I took my time, to prolong the enjoyment. I use a piece of hardboard on the dining table. Unfortunately I soon get neck ache these days.

BlueBelle Tue 09-May-23 15:26:54

I have a jigsaw on the go all the time and just do bits at a time
I ve never timed it and won’t, that’s seems to be pressured and its supposed to be relaxing
I don’t like the online ones they seem too easy and I like handling the pieces

annodomini Tue 09-May-23 14:30:54

This thread started 10 years ago! It's sad to see some names that have gone for ever - our dear Phoenix being one. Other names have, perhaps, changed and I recognise others who I believe to be still extant, but not here. I still do not have the patience to do a 1000 piece jigsaw but have taken to doing on-line puzzles on my tablet.

TillyTrotter Tue 09-May-23 14:13:04

I like to pass mine on to charity shops after doing them and I pop the pieces in a sandwich bag too 🙂.
Our local hospice shop say there is a big uptake amongst older people for 500 piece jigsaws.

Chardy Tue 09-May-23 14:01:31

I saw some lovely jigsaws of famous (and not so famous) paintings from the Tate in Hobbycraft last week. Different numbers of pieces from 100 to 1000.
I'm too mean to pay full price, preferring charity shop jigsaws, but I was tempted.

TillyTrotter Tue 09-May-23 13:54:42

Your story is familiar (and hilarious) Caramme . My dear Cat used to do the same but is too old now to pounce on a table.
I am in awe of people who finish jigsaws quickly.

Was yours 1000 pieces ninathenana ?

When I tip one out onto the dining table I know it will be at least 2 weeks before I can use the table again 🙂

Caramme Tue 09-May-23 13:48:45

I used to like doing real jigsaws, but then my cat decided he wanted to help. So, big run up, excited leap onto table, no brakes so lovely slide straight through puzzle, then cat back on floor surrounded by the remnants of half completed puzzle. And what fun that was - for him - so he did it again. I do puzzles on line now. If you work on a laptop or PC running Windows, Microsoft Games have some excellent puzzles and some interesting daily challenges too.

timetogo2016 Tue 09-May-23 13:29:47

I love doing jigsaw puzzles,it`s very relaxing.
A 1000 piece took me just over 4 hours,and less than 5 minutes to put away lol.

EverythingJigsaw Tue 09-May-23 13:22:12

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MercedesYang Fri 22-Feb-13 02:31:05

Oh, I love jigsaws!!! But just saw the game when watching TV and do not have the experience to play it, I guess can not complete it very soon, regularly about a week would be right for me. smile

Rosiebee Fri 15-Feb-13 15:06:55

Has anyone tried jigsaws by Colin Thompson? I hadn't done a jigsaw since I was a child until I saw The Bizarre Bookshop by him. Loads of fine detail and also very funny [names on the book spines - 'Lord of the Pies' 'Lady Chatterley's Pullover' also 'Lady Chatterley's Plover'] DH and I sat one evening until 12.45am fitting in just one more piece. Now have three more that I had as Christmas presents. They're so much more absorbing than the usual landscape that always has too much blue sky. When it was finished we bagged all the edge pieces in one bag and the rest in another before passing it on. Time just flies and I forget everything when I'm sat with a jigsaw. smile

vegasmags Thu 14-Feb-13 10:27:08

Nellie - what a brainwave and one I shall now adopt. Good old charity shops. I would love to know who my fellow jigsaw enthusiasts are - I have thought of putting a note in the box, along the lines of If You Like Jigsaws, Meet In the Rose and Crown On Tuesdays at 10.00 - then I decided that would sound really creepy and terrifying!

Nelliemoser Thu 14-Feb-13 09:27:30

vegs I always put the pieces in a freezer bag. If you shake the puzzle you want to buy in a charity shop you can tell if its in a bag or not by how it rattles. I have not had any incomplete ones.

Thank God for charity shops. They do a wonderful job as a jigsaw puzzle exchange service and make an excellent profit at the same time.

Ella46 Wed 13-Feb-13 17:18:19

I can't do them on a table as it hurts my neck and back, so online ones that take about 20 mins are perfect for me.