Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Nap or knap coat

(8 Posts)
Bambi Sat 08-Jun-13 01:32:54

I was writing about clothes we used to wear, and I recall a 'nap? coat, but can't find a spelling for it. Does any one else remember anything about them?
I also recall trench coats, duster coats, swagger coats, foam back coats, plus all the more common ones.

Liberty bodice, with buttons covered in material . They were sometimes sewn on to your skirt, or kilt, to make them last longer.

Tartan overboots, fuzzy wuzzy boleros, to name but a few..

Last week I bought a modern 'rainmate' in a design centre, but I don't know if I'll ever have the courage to wear it, they were great in their time.

Bags Sat 08-Jun-13 06:10:03

Nap. The word refers to the woolly surface raised on woven cloth during the finishing process (i.e. not part of the weaving).

I've not heard of swagger coats before, but I remember all the others.

MiceElf Sat 08-Jun-13 06:44:38

I remember my mother having a swagger coat in the 50s. It was a style which was very flared hanging from the shoulders - they had much more fabric than had been allowed in the war. I believe the style referred to the swagger coats worn by dandies in the 18 C.

Hunt Sat 08-Jun-13 09:43:34

liberty bodices had rubber buttons so they would go through the mangle without getting broken. I still have a liberty bodice. They live on in the fleece gilet although this is worn as outerwear not underwear.

Ana Sat 08-Jun-13 09:47:04

I always wondered why they had rubber buttons! Thanks, Hunt grin

annodomini Sat 08-Jun-13 10:42:50

I had a nap coat the winter I had pneumonia (plus liberty bodice, thick lisle stockings, the lot). Just after the war such things were hard to come by so this was inherited from my 10-years older cousin. My mother had a red swagger coat which, at the time, was fashionable but even then I thought it was pretty gross.

j08 Sat 08-Jun-13 14:15:01

You needed very high heels to look good in a swagger coat. Duster coats were quite Jacqui Kennedy. Foam lined coats, Carnaby Street and that Pattie somebody who was married to George Harrison.

Liberty bodices remind me of the cold winters of the early forties.

gracesmum Sat 08-Jun-13 22:06:08

I too remember swagger coats and also a coat I had as a child in a material my mother described as "navy blue nap" - I hadn't heard the term in decades!