Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts


(8 Posts)
Galen Tue 21-Jan-14 19:32:24

I saw something on tv on Sunday night where lovely pictures were created by painting objects eg a Hohn Dory fish with some sort of paint then pressing a piece of paper over it. I think it was some form of Japanese technique.
Does anyone have any knowledge of what paint and paper would have been used?

Galen Tue 21-Jan-14 19:33:01

John Dory not Hahn.

thatbags Tue 21-Jan-14 19:44:01

MrB suggests that if it is a Japanese technique, egg tempera and rice paper. Nowadays he thinks acrylic paint would work.

glassortwo Tue 21-Jan-14 19:47:49

galen I saw it yesterday ( I am always behind as everything is recorded) was it on Countryfile, that John Dory was fantastic. I think it was artist canvas.

Galen Tue 21-Jan-14 20:05:29

I have acrylic paints. Where does one get rice paper from I wonder?
I only need a John Dory thengrin

merlotgran Tue 21-Jan-14 20:08:58

Good luck with that, Galen. I saw it as well and it didn't look difficult (she said with fingers crossed)

Galen Tue 21-Jan-14 20:18:54

The paper is rice. It's also used for sumi e painting!
Thanks for the tip Mr B.

Galen Tue 21-Jan-14 20:19:45

Found it on amazon. It's not the same as the edible variety