Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Circular needles

(9 Posts)
ginny Wed 13-Aug-14 11:05:14

Can I use ordinary needles of the same size for a knitting pattern that uses a circular needle ?

TIA

Wheniwasyourage Wed 13-Aug-14 11:30:59

Don't see why not, assuming that you're prepared to sew up the seams. I take it that you are intending to make a garment with separate front and back, or socks or gloves with a seam, rather than knit in the round? Personally, I would do anything rather than sew seams, but probably you can do it more neatly than me!

Marelli Wed 13-Aug-14 15:32:59

Although I'll use circular needles if the pattern states it, I do much prefer to do separate front and back. Somehow, I just seem to have the stitches too tight on a circular needle, and when it comes to getting them from the plasticky wiry part onto the needle itself, it's always a bit of a fiddle! hmm

ginny Wed 13-Aug-14 16:37:05

OK, thanks. Maybe I'll get a circular needle and have a go.

Wheniwasyourage I'm really not too good at stitching seams so it would be good if I can cope with the circular needle. Mind you I have improved since I found a Youtube tutorial. I now use a sort of ladder stitch which certainly makes for a neater seam finish.

dogsdinner Thu 14-Aug-14 08:08:27

When I used to knit I used four long double ended needles which found very easier than a circular one.

sherish Thu 14-Aug-14 08:31:25

A pattern sometimes uses circular needles because of the number of stitches. I do tend to be put off these patterns but really circular needles aren't so bad when you get used to them. You have a lot of work on the one needle.

Brendawymms Thu 14-Aug-14 08:54:54

Circular needles can make for faster knitting as, in stocking stitch, you only knit not purl. I agree that the bit between the needle and the plastic can be a nightmare. I found some circular needles that are stainless steel with stainless wire, covered in plastic, between. Totally fab.
I have tried the type that have interchangeable tips and 'wires' but can't get on with them.
I have found that items knitted on a circular needle can be less stable when worn as there is no side seem but sleeves knitted this way are lovely.

ginny Thu 14-Aug-14 10:41:03

Thanks ladies. I will buy one and have a practice.

Marelli Thu 14-Aug-14 12:19:54

Glad to know it's not just me, Brendawymms! smile