Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Is anyone able to help a patchwork beginner please?

(43 Posts)
littleflo Wed 12-Nov-14 15:30:58

Hi, I have just bought a very basic sewing machine as I would like to take up patchwork or some other small craft projects. Is anyone able to recommend a good book for starters. Also any other advice will be gratefully received. Thank you

amarmai Tue 24-Feb-15 17:48:26

Littleflo, paint and wallpaper stores throw out sample books with fabric rectangles of the same size but different weights. I recycle these after sorting and washing into quilts. Good practice at little cost.

littleflo Tue 24-Feb-15 14:55:29

Thankyou Jackofall57, I wanted to start this hobby to give me something to do inthe winter. Unfortunately I broke my shoulder in January, so sewing is out for the time being. I did enjoy the little bits I did start to make though.

Jackofall57 Mon 23-Feb-15 23:46:36

Littleflo Pinterest is a great place to get lots of knowledge on ask sorts of things. There are loads of pins on patchwork starting at the very basics. Have a look! It's free and you make up your own boards and pin all the ideas you like on them. Interactive pinning. Have fun and good luck!

olive2709 Mon 01-Dec-14 12:20:12

Will have a look at paper piecing and gourmet quilter thanks for the tips.DD and GD popped in and brought me a crossstich a simple one to keep me going and as GD pointed out if shakes in arm get bad no mistake that can't be put right I have scar tissue wrapped round branch of carotid artery that is starting to be a bit of a problem.

littleflo Sun 30-Nov-14 21:35:37

Olive, I have been looking at gourmet quilter on you tube. These seem to be very clear instructions which even I can follow. I also got some books from the library following advice I received when I first posted. Hope you enjoy your new hobby.

Stansgran Sun 30-Nov-14 14:15:19

I think you tube can actually be more help than a book for a beginner as the tutors make it some detailed. Some of the sites mentioned are worth looking at before you spend anything. Have you thought about paper piecing?

olive2709 Sun 30-Nov-14 13:19:42

I to want to try patchwork but by hand as I need to keep left arm working any one help with a good book

littleflo Sun 30-Nov-14 13:09:18

Thank you again everyone for the advice .

Stansgran Sat 29-Nov-14 18:55:09

I've used the pre printed nursery ones as backing for cot quilts so that they are double sided. It's a pity we can't include photos on here as my DGD 9 made a basic handbag out of squares I had cut for her and went on to make a shoulder bag. We also made a bag out of her old jeans. The instructions are on you tube in Spanish but absolutely clear how to do it.

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 19:58:16

I agree that Moda fabrics are lovely - and other manufacturers also do "charm packs" as well - these are packs of pre-cut squares in a blending selection of patterns and colours. They are not cheap, but can be a good shortcut.

Also at a quilting show you will also find pre-printed panels that you can put in the middle of a quilt - I tend not to use these but my friend has made some nice nursery themed items for her GC using these.

Ebay have quite a lot of materials and quilting supplies at very reasonable prices.

Mishap Fri 28-Nov-14 19:53:21

www.grosvenorshows.co.uk/html/quilt_shows.html

These people do quilting shows all round the country - maybe your DD could get you a voucher or pay for you to go to one. There you will find masses of ideas - good to browse around and get some inspiration; and there are usually workshops that you can join

J52 Fri 28-Nov-14 19:39:39

I have had excellent fat quarters from sellers on e baŷ. They were post free and were available in colour matched bundles.

rubysong Fri 28-Nov-14 18:50:59

I was in our local fabric shop today and a lady was asking her about gift vouchers, which apparently they do. Perhaps you could get fabric vouchers for a shop near you, then you could enjoy choosing some fabric for your next project.

tiggypiro Fri 28-Nov-14 15:02:13

Have you got the rulers you need to use with the cutter and mat ?
I would suggest in order of usefulness .........

6'' x 24''
12.5" x 12.5"
6.5" x 6.5"
4.5" x 14"

Some makes might be slightly different sizes and some have easier and more accurate markings on than others. Like lots of things you get what you pay for so the more expensive are usually better. Treat carefully as they can crack. Also NEVER EVER let anyone use your cutter for paper !!

suzied Fri 28-Nov-14 05:17:32

I meant Moda it's an American company, you could google them

suzied Fri 28-Nov-14 05:16:42

Maybe a few fat quarters of nice fabric? Mods do some gorgeous fabrics and you can buy little bundles of them

littleflo Thu 27-Nov-14 20:45:40

Thank you all for your help and thank you tiggypiro for the pattern. Please can you help again. I have made a couple of things, very basic. My daughter has offered to buy me some low budget bits for Christmas. So far I have a cutter, a self healing mat and various scissors and a book that I bought for 1p on Amazon.

What else can you suggest to get me started as I am really enjoying this new hobby.

littleflo Wed 19-Nov-14 09:44:25

Hespian that is so sad,but what a lovely thing to do. My Son's children have some beautiful wooden things made by their maternal great grandfather who died this year. My daughter in law says how he is living on through these toys.

hespian Tue 18-Nov-14 21:53:48

My dear friend is very ill with leukaemia and I have been helping her out with a patchwork for her GD. It is now finished and been sent off for professional backing. We have had so many happy hours while working on it. Now she had a new GD and she is determined to make her a quilt too. I hope and pray that we can see that one through too.

littleflo Tue 18-Nov-14 20:57:41

At least this year when everyone asks what I want for Christmas, I won't be stuck for answers.......

purple Tue 18-Nov-14 15:11:53

Trawling charity shops is a good way of getting low cost fabric, but as others have said, it's important to use the same weight of fabric, and not to use worn material. The other hot tip would be to acquire a rotary cutter, ruler and board as super accurate cutting helps to make sure you don't end up with a skewy item. Drawing stitching lines with a fabric marker (which irons out) when you start helps with accuracy too. Have fun!

littleflo Tue 18-Nov-14 12:51:39

Thank you tiggypiro and everyone else for the links and ideas

tiggypiro Tue 18-Nov-14 07:57:22

littleflo - I sent you an email

Rosiebee Mon 17-Nov-14 23:54:17

For my first foray into patchwork, I bought a cotton duvet cover from a charity shop and made a set of placemats, just to practise, which I quilted in a very basic fashion. Since then I've been hooked on Pinterest, fantastic site with endless brilliant ideas for patchwork and quilting. Try googling the Missouri Star Quilt Company. A lovely lady called Jenny Doan demonstrates in a series of videos, very clearly, lots of lovely patchwork patterns.
I've bought quite a few books, most of which have ended up in charity shops but if you only buy one, try The Quilters Bible by Linda Clements. I bought mine from Amazon, also used this site for buying quilty bits and pieces. A very addictive hobby.
Tote bags are a great idea for practising basic sewing. You can always use plain calico type material and decorate them with small pieces of patchwork. Sorry, once I get started....... blush

littleflo Sat 15-Nov-14 18:16:31

Thank you so much. Hope you are feeling a bit better now Mishap. Have you felt like doing any craftwork lately?