Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

crochet patterns for a child to make

(15 Posts)
Liz46 Wed 27-May-15 11:34:50

I would be grateful if anyone can help. My eight year old gd arrived last weekend and said she had spent all her pocket money on wool and wanted to make a cover for her tablet. I was taken a bit by surprise but managed to find a pattern on AllFreeCrochet but the terms were American and we had to alter them to British and really it was a bit hard for a beginner. Anyway we managed it and I want to be better prepared for when she stays again this weekend.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a pattern that she may like? I suggested making a small blanket for her bed (maybe out of squares) but she did not look impressed. She might like a little cuddly toy as long as it is not too hard to do.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 11:40:05

Amigurumi is very easy if you start her off with the magic ring and she could make and finish and item quite quickly.

If you click here you will find lots of tutorials and patterns

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 11:41:02

an item not and!!!

Liz46 Wed 27-May-15 11:52:13

Wonderful link. Thank you, it looks very promising.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 13:28:28

I hope it helps Liz46. I just put "amigurumi tutorials" in the Pinterest search - you might get many more answers for just "amigurumi" for instance.

Liz46 Wed 27-May-15 19:24:39

Gracesgran, I am working hard here, trying to improve my crochet skills and practising making something before the weekend. I've found a nice little owl to start with. Next step - magic circle. Might need to pour a glass of wine soon!

Galen Wed 27-May-15 20:04:18

I swear by ' the crochet crowd' wonderful tutorials from Mikey!

hildajenniJ Wed 27-May-15 20:17:46

I think I need a tutorial! I am an experienced crocheter? but the garment I am making is not working out. I have pulled it out several times. Whether I'm not reading the pattern correctly or what I don't know. I am teaching my GD to crochet, and started her off with a square. She had a book for Christmas with some lovely easy patterns for beginners. Next time I visit we are going to attempt to complete one.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 20:26:52

There are quite a few tutorials on You Tube for the magic circle Liz.

The Crochet Crowd looks really good Galen. I am making throws at the moment with thoughts of Christmas presents. The next one will be waffle pattern squares I think but it is tempting seeing the lovely patterns on this site.

AshTree Wed 27-May-15 20:48:49

Have you thought about little crocheted bowls? It might be something your GD would like in her bedroom to keep bits and bobs in - hair accessories and so on. Have a look here

Liz46 Thu 28-May-15 08:06:52

Ash Tree, the simple bowl looks lovely. Thank you all so much. I can now give her a choice of what she wants to do. I just need to practice before she comes now! I am better at knitting but she wants to crochet.

I have lovely memories of my great aunt doing craft work with me every Monday when I was little. I just hope my little gd has similar memories of me.

AshTree Thu 28-May-15 08:36:12

I think it's probably a little easier to teach a child to crochet than to knit, because there is only ever one stitch to drop! And picking up that one stitch is so much easier for little fingers than a dropped stitch in knitting. Good luck!

GrandmaValerie Sun 18-Oct-15 14:12:15

Had a look at Amigurumi GracesGran, and it's brilliant. Can't wait to start on the pig family and their outfits.

jumbootoys Wed 25-May-16 11:10:31

Kindly send me free patterns for beginners

Elegran Wed 25-May-16 11:16:26

?