Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

knitting to help local deprivation in Yorkshire

(7 Posts)
Marelli Wed 27-May-15 18:08:04

I've just seen your Facebook page, so I'll be sharing too. Good luck....and by the way, I LOVE knitting scarves! smile

knitfornowt Wed 27-May-15 17:17:45

Brilliant, thank you both! Is there anyone else out there who'd like to get on board? We'd be delighted if you could send knitting! We actually have an appeal on at the moment for warm (adult sized) winter hats and scarves for two homeless shelters, and we'd like to be able to stock them up for winter when the demand will be so high. We don't seem to get many scarves - is it because they're a bit boring to knit?!

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 14:58:31

Great. I have shared a couple of your posts so hope it helps. As Liz46 says, the main thing is to get the news out there.

Liz46 Wed 27-May-15 14:04:29

I've just 'liked it' on facebok and hope it will help give a little more publicity. I'm busy supporting another (Liverpool) charity with my knitting so am unlikely to send anything myself.

knitfornowt Wed 27-May-15 13:41:29

Thanks Gracesgran, I actually have just created a Facebook page for Knit-for-Nowt, but haven't yet linked from my website (trying to find out how to do it!!) If you search on Facebook for Knit-for-Nowt it should come up?? I would love it if you could 'share' the page with your friends. Please do post here, (or send me a private message if you prefer, or you can email via the website) if you can't find it! By the way crochet is very welcome too as long as the items are warm and cozy!! Many thanks in advance.

Gracesgran Wed 27-May-15 13:34:42

I am really saddened to see the need but, also sadly, I can well believe it. Is there any chance of you creating a Facebook page with a link from your website? I can then "share" it as I have quite a few friends who love knitting and would be interested I'm sure.

I crochet rather than knit - although I can and will have a think about what I could do.

Thank you for posting this.

knitfornowt Wed 27-May-15 13:15:24

Hi, it's great that so many people are knitting for charity. You may not have seen my previous post telling you about my new charitable venture Knit-for-Nowt, which is appealing to knitters everywhere to donate warm items for all ages. Knit-for-Nowt then donates them to local organisations in Hull and East Yorkshire, which contains some of the worst areas of deprivation in the country. I found that sometimes local people were losing out, as items people knit are often sent abroad. There are thousands of families right here with children suffering through the cold during the winter, (and it's not the children's fault!) Also homeless people, the elderly and refugees fleeing unimaginable horrors in their own countries. My charity concentrates on warm items for people rather than animals or toys etc. If you would like to help, please go to my website www.knitfornowt.org where you'll find full details.