Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Anyone use a hot glue gun?

(40 Posts)
Indinana Fri 02-Oct-15 23:01:02

I bought a cool glue gun a few months ago. Well, it's not really cool, but it's not quite as dangerously hot as a hot one. It works just the same (or so I understand) - the glue starts to melt after it's been turned on for about 4-5 minutes and you can then apply it and start sticking things together.
However, I have found that once the glue is cold, which happens very quickly (too quickly sometimes, before you get a chance to position fiddly items properly), it just peels off, rather like that rubbery stuff they use to glue free gifts to the front of magazines.
Has anyone used a proper hot hot glue gun? If so, have you had a similar experience with it? Also, do you find it tricky avoiding the glue getting on your skin and burning you? In other words, how dangerous is it?

Happysexagenarian Sat 03-Mar-18 23:36:56

I have a small lightweight Stanley glue gun that is great for quick one-off projects, and also a larger professional glue gun which has adjustable temperature and an assortment of different sized nozzles including some very fine ones. I bought this gun for making high end wedding stationery - you can't risk big blobs of glue and glue strings on wedding invitations! If you can run to the higher price of a professional gun they are worth every penny, but I can also recommend the Stanley gun for general crafting. But whichever one you choose they all get very hot and can be dangerous, so handle with care.

playcharly Sat 21-Jan-17 21:04:38

I bought a glue gun from hobbycraft as I make cards. I found it ok but don't burn yourselves cos it hurts. Ouch !

silverlining48 Tue 25-Oct-16 14:00:20

Used a hot glue gun this weekend for the first time. Very efficient. Was not burnt. Made a square wreath out of twigs and have to say once it was Finished with the other bits and bobs, looks very professional. my first but not my last.

SwimHome Mon 29-Aug-16 19:42:22

Have used a hot glue gun for years for all sorts of things and have found it indispensable. However have also discovered a cold silicon rubber 'glue' called Sugru. Every colour under the sun and it sticks pretty much anything to anything and is flexible when dry. It does take 24 hours to cure and is expensive, but there are some repairs that cannot be done with anything else, particularly around the car, bathroom and kitchen. Have a look on line.

Battersea1971 Mon 29-Aug-16 17:09:01

I used to work as a florist and we used hot guns, mostly for fiddly things like headbands. They take a bit of getting used to and can give a nasty burn. I'm not sure what I would use one for now. I'm sure there are better things you can use at home. Grandchildren use pritt stick. I do sewing but wouldn't use a hot glue gun.

Neversaydie Mon 29-Aug-16 12:51:30

Friend ended up in A and E with a very nasty burn from a glue gun Experienced 'crafter'too.She was rushing to finish something Have been a bit wary of them ever since

Craftycat Mon 29-Aug-16 11:49:25

I got mine from The Works- not expensive & it is great. They do use a heck of a lot of glue sticks though. I am told you can use the offcuts again but have yet to find a way of doing it.
I tend to push stamps into hot glue & then trim them off to make embellishments. Often sprinkle them with glitter first. I find they take a good few minutes to cool off.
Rubylady- If you push slightly into the glue & twist as you remove the gun it works OK. Think of piping icing balls without getting peaks round the bottom of a cake- that is the same action.

CleopatraSoup Mon 29-Aug-16 10:54:31

I use a hot glue gun for crafting. I use a wooden cocktail stick to hold things in place while the glue is setting and to wipe off any stringy bits - a bit like curling spaghetti round a fork.

Robert Mon 29-Aug-16 10:51:54

There are a few steps to note when using a glue gun. (1) The point gets hot - hot enough to melt the glue. So don't touch it, any more than you would touch the tip of a hot soldering iron. (2) You need to give it time to heat up. (3) It is at the right heat when you squeeze the trigger and molten glue comes out freely. If you are squeezing and squeezing, and nothing comes out, it isn't hot enough. Go and make a cup of tea, leaving the glue gun "on" and somewhere safe like on a heatproof board (4) The brilliant thing about a glue gun is that the glue "goes off" ie hardens very quickly. so it is good for those jobs where you hold something in place, glue, and it sets. If you need longer setting time, for example mending a piece of furniture, you need a glue which "stays open" for longer. (5) As others have said, if you want to extend the "open" time, heat/warm up the surfaces to which you will be applying the glue. (6) Don't apply too much glue from the glue gun or it goes everywhere and is hard to clean up. (7) Make sure you know the exact positioning of the items you are gluing - you won't have time for second thoughts.(8) Very often what you want is to lay down a pattern of blobs rather than try to cover the whole surface as you might do with a white craft glue.
Does anyone know of a good glue gun with a safety light?

Lewlew Mon 29-Aug-16 10:21:51

I got a Bosch to glue my gingerbread house walls/roof together as it had heavy 'rigging' and fiddly roof bits. It's hard to glue porous stuff, so be sure your seams/joins are smooth.

Had the same trouble, it cooled so quickly. Ended up using prit stick to set up the joins, then ran the glue down the seams on the inside. THAT worked. Of course, those seams were out of sight.

I agree, I wish there was a glue that did not go off so fast. hmm

Bluesmum Mon 29-Aug-16 09:30:42

I am also a crafter and use a hot glue gun infrequently, but i have heard the very best one is the Bosch, as has already been recommended, but I dont use it frequently enough to justify buying another one!

katesheilaskate Mon 29-Aug-16 08:57:38

Great idea to warm metal items before gluing: might make the difference, though raise risk of burns. Glue from large size guns takes much longer to cool and allows more time for placement.

Matthew1 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:38:12

Yes I have 2. A large one and a small one for fiddly craft. I have had some nasty burns and its not safe for little fingers. However it sticks anything to everything???????

Wobblybits Mon 29-Aug-16 08:33:07

I don't used my gun for paper or small jobs, it is a large gun. For my size gun, you can get several types of glue stick, it may be worth trying different types if they are available for your gun.

Halsgran2 Mon 29-Aug-16 08:11:54

I am a crafter and own 3 glue guns, took a bit of practice before I found one which suited me - the Bosch glue PEN. Its amazing. Its rechargeable and you can just remove the stick of glue when you are not using it, so this stops most of the drips. If it does leave a little bit it just lifts off when the glue has cooled. Also I store upright in a jar or box and this stops the glue collecting around the nozzle. I buy a job lot of sticks & they last ages.

BlueBelle Mon 29-Aug-16 07:02:23

I too use a hot glue gun for paper crafts I m not as impressed as I expected to be I find it sets SO quickly that I have to be speedy to get the item to stick well and they can leave trails all over the place. Every crafter I know raved about them but it's Ok I certainly wouldn't rave

rubylady Mon 29-Aug-16 02:56:23

I use a hot glue gun for my craft work. It is a bit stringy though, I've found. I don't know how to get it not to do this? Anyone? smile

Wobblybits Sun 28-Aug-16 18:56:26

I use a hot melt glue gun regularly. The secret is to get the items you are gluing as hot as possible. If the glue hits a cold surface it will cool before adhesion has taken place. Metal items I would put in the oven and get very hot, wooden/plastic item warm.

Nelliemoser Sun 28-Aug-16 18:18:18

My husband and he usually makes a dreadful mess.

Hector10 Sun 28-Aug-16 15:30:27

Yes. I use a hot glue gun for flower arranging and it is fine. It does tend to make long threads of blue like spider webs which are difficult to manage.

Bothiegran2013 Tue 15-Dec-15 21:37:58

I am a crafter making cards, books, boxes and mixed media items. I use a glue gun as sold in craft shops using sticks. I don't use it that often and have no problems with the sticks going off. Some of my peers have started using a DIY tool, maybe Bosch or some such. It is a rechargeable one and is more powerful and doesn't have a cord to get twisted. I may look at one of those.

rubysong Sun 13-Dec-15 23:29:02

A friend of mine used a hot glue gun to make a triangle shaped Christmas tree for a flower club display. She drizzled the glue over a wooden frame and then sprayed it white. It looked like lace and made an impressive backdrop for a flower display at the Christmas tree festival.

GrandmaH Sun 13-Dec-15 14:08:54

I went to a hot glue gun craft class a couple of months ago & one of the things we did was to put the melted glue onto a silicon stamp- let it dry & peeled off the image. Made lovely flowers, butterflies etc. Also made 'gems' by making dots with it & sprinkling it with glitter. I didn't have one until then but I have used it a lot since.

WilmaKnickersfit Mon 05-Oct-15 00:17:35

In that case I think I will get one sometime soon. We shop at Lidls and every now and then they sell them, so I will keep my eyes open for one. I use E6000 glue in jewellery making and I am always looking for different ways to use glue neatly. smile

Indinana Sun 04-Oct-15 22:03:36

I've just ordered one from Amazon, a rather better one than the cheap 'cool' hot glue gun I started out with. Cue burnt fingertips... shock