Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Pinterest

(17 Posts)
Vonners Fri 08-Jan-16 21:41:48

Ginny42, if you love crafting, cooking, DIY there are so many inspirations - however it can be addictive.
I know what you mean though, would be nice to have a taster of a site before committing.

Ginny42 Fri 08-Jan-16 20:37:46

Arrgh! I went to have a look at Pinterest to see what it's all about, but it wouldn't let me without registering. It irritates me when websites do that. I'd like to check it out and see whether it's something I'd like to know more about before going through the create a password taradiddle.

So I'm no wiser. hmm

mollie Sat 17-Oct-15 16:12:30

I'm a Pinterest fan, it can be addictive but I have fads then back away for a while. It's inspirational and annoying in equal measures. My boards range from the inspirational through to total fantasy that I call 'I wish' - you know, those drop-dead gorgeous shoes that you'd never wear/afford/justify and the floaty dress etc. etc.

Gracesgran Mon 12-Oct-15 12:29:09

I have a sewing cottage (and an upcycling garage) and no one to object! It is tidy(ish) though and, in my relatively organised way I only have two trays with fat quarters (labelled) and a couple of double sized ones with other fabric. The problem with not being organised is that you buy something only to find you already have it and I can't afford that.

I would like to be in one room but I like work in the most comfortable bit i.e., TV/radio and fire and a nearby kitchen for tea but storage is in the spare room with a bed and wardrobe - no room for a table (or fire or tea making paraphernalia)

Indiana, I imagine we all come at it in different ways and my boards tend to be design ideas rather than making ideas. When I have created a new design I may and probably will delete quite a few pins. I suppose I see them more like a mood board than patterns to make. I have definitely got to the more deleting than pinning stage though.

janerowena Mon 12-Oct-15 12:13:46

I stick to GN when I have my cuppa, that's bad enough! grin

Indinana Mon 12-Oct-15 10:16:27

I am another Pinterest lover. And yes, janer I do have to guard against 'always planning and never doing'. I think I've managed to sort that one now! I don't have loads of boards or loads of pins, mostly crafts, and I do try to pin only things that I am reasonably confident I would like to make one day. And I try to keep it up to date by removing pins that have become irrelevant (things for newborns for example, now that my latest GC is past this stage). I couldn't stand having thousands upon thousands of things pinned - how on earth would I ever find time to look through them all, never mind actually make them!
On the 'notifications' tab I frequently read of people I follow who have, e.g., 'saved 354 pins'. What? 354???? shock How long do you plan on living? confused
I use it as a resource, just as I do with Ravelry, when I want ideas for something I'm planning to make. And I do love meandering through it when I sit down for a cuppa smile

BlackeyedSusan Mon 12-Oct-15 09:58:26

got several tabs open with these.

Stansgran Mon 12-Oct-15 09:53:00

Janerowena I call it my studio in my head and the. new room out loud. But I have many friends with similar obsessions rooms

magpie123 Mon 12-Oct-15 08:53:30

I am always amazed at the craft projects people have undertaken. Some people are very talented.

janerowena Sun 11-Oct-15 21:33:28

It's good to hear it, I have a friend who has a whole quite large room full of her fat quarter 'stashes'. I find it just as scary as a room full of old mouldering newspapers!

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 12:36:16

The addiction does run its course janerowena if you ever feel it may be useful in the future. I do considerably more crafting than pinning but there was a moment ... smile

janerowena Sun 11-Oct-15 11:56:40

I started, but soon ended the relationship. I realised very quickly that it was far too addictive for me, and that I would end up being the kind of person who is always planning, but never doing. I'm happier creating my own projects from the materials I have available.

Gracesgran Sun 11-Oct-15 11:07:45

I love Pinterest and (should I feel shame smile)have 59 boards. I have had to ration myself re the time spent on there in the past but I now find I have a good resource and can go back and use it as I need to. I do see the same pictures coming round again quite often so there must be a lot of recycling on there.

I have:
3 boards on different types of embroidery
26 boards on Christmas ornaments (guess what my hobby is smile )
7 boards on sewing
8 boards on upcycling (that surprised me when I counted)
3 boards on food (one for Christmas presents and one for holiday food)
the others are more scattered items.

Over the door to my home it should say "Family, Friends and Christmas"!

All in all I have, so it tells me, 2.4K pins. I have weeded some out and I am sure that will continue but, as I said, it is a wonderful design and technique resource.

merlotgran Sat 10-Oct-15 16:36:49

I've used Pintrest for interior design inspiration. Some gorgeous kitchen ideas.

ginny Sat 10-Oct-15 16:32:10

It's brilliant for ideas but addictive.

Stansgran Sat 10-Oct-15 15:17:47

I spend happy teabreaks on Gransnet or Pinterest and when feeling brave Mumsnet. There are some very strange American recipes on Pinterest which I like to read -I also pin pictures of places I've been to and share animal pics with my DGD .

magpie123 Sat 10-Oct-15 08:52:13

Anyone else go on Pinterest, lots of links to knitting and crochet patterns for free. Also links to any subject you could possibly be interested in.