Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Watercolour painting

(132 Posts)
Artiarticle123 Wed 03-Feb-16 11:40:31

Please let me know if you have an interest in watercolour painting. I have been painting for most of my life and find it a fabulous activity. x x x

Carenza123 Sun 09-Sep-18 08:45:04

Since I retired I have joined an art class and thoroughly enjoy watercolour painting as well as acrylic. I am moving soon and hope to find another art class. I never thought I was good enough at Art when at school but enjoy painting in retirement.

JuneS Sun 02-Sep-18 16:29:10

I have recently started to dabble with watercolours and hope to do more. This is a portrait of my sisters late pet Bonnie which I did for a Christmas present.

Greyduster Wed 22-Aug-18 13:29:20

I’m afraid I have to disagree about the paper. 140lb paper will buckle under a decent wash if it is not stretched. I would stretch anything under 200lbs.

Richa94 Wed 22-Aug-18 11:56:11

Wow! I loved your paintings. Though I am not a trained artist I also try my hands in watercolor paintings in spare time. I just love it. Time just flies by when I do it.

As far as your paintings are concerned, I loved the one with a little girl who looks like a fairy. Good job and keep it up. smile

Yorkshiregel Mon 07-May-18 09:17:58

What a great way to spend the day! I wish!

Lovetopaint037 Sun 06-May-18 09:50:17

The sun is shining and I intend to sit in the garden and paint flowers, trees bushes or any interesting clumps of anything that needs highlighting. If your paper is 140 lbs or more you shouldn’t need any preparation like soaking. Years ago Alwyn Crawshaw said all he did was secure the sides with elastic bands or clips. I would also like to use acrylics but the sun is too hot. Oils are too much trouble to get ready.

Yorkshiregel Sun 15-Apr-18 14:39:11

You do not need to be good at drawing to create a painting. Try this leaf 'painting' for starters. Ideal for watercolour painting. Allow the colours to blend in to each other and try different effects. You could trace the outlines or draw them freehand. Or have a go at these snapdragons I painted. If you want to do something different try the Unicorn picture by drawing the unicorns, cover the shape in candlewax so that the colours will not leak in to the shape (you do not have to draw unicorns, use your imagination) then use watercolours in different colours and allow them to blend in to each other for the background. Then post them here. You will be surprised at the comments.

Yorkshiregel Mon 12-Mar-18 11:42:35

This is a tonal study and a complete painting in one that has lots of good advice. Loose style again, which is what I love.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1iWfl02lA

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytL_mpVobU

Two paintings in one.

Yorkshiregel Mon 12-Mar-18 10:58:16

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIfbmz5nWTQ

www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3u4-xTST8Y

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ytL_mpVobU

Love these videos. Why not have a go at doing something of your own with this method. Nice and loose watercolours.

Yorkshiregel Mon 12-Mar-18 10:32:37

Ever heard of Fraydoon Rassouli? I love his art, and you could do something similar in watercolour. See Google for more images, there are loads. If you like spiritual art this is for you.

Yorkshiregel Mon 12-Mar-18 10:12:09

Something which might help people who want to paint people.

Yorkshiregel Thu 08-Mar-18 11:57:12

Here is an idea. Take a copy of the picture below and make your own version. Modernise it, take only part of it, cartoon it, whatever. I found pointilism2 on the internet. It has been parodied by Sesame Street ... that is what I mean. You can see it is LaGrandeJatte but it isn't. Have fun!

Yorkshiregel Thu 08-Mar-18 11:35:47

Sorry forgot to credit the artists. Seurat and Pissarro.
Also I meant acrylic not acryclic...typo. I am not very good at watercolour I do admit. Some get it, I don't.

Yorkshiregel Thu 08-Mar-18 11:32:02

I agree that watercolour is the hardest thing to learn. I prefer acryclic where you have more control. However I do not think you need to know how to draw. What about pointilism? Pictures made from dots or dashes can be just as appealing. In any case there should not be a line around whatever you are drawing. Better to make the 'line' by painting the background and using negative space.

varian Wed 07-Mar-18 19:26:13

Watercolour is the hardest medium of all. I can never understand why people who have never done any drawing or painting since they left school, decide to take up watercolour painting when they retire. When you look at the results it often discourages other beginners from trying any kind of visual art.

If you want to start producing something artistic and you don't know where to begin, why not start by trying to learn how to draw.

Then try out different media - pen, pencil, coloured pencil, charcoal, pastels, oil pastels, felt tip pens, gouache, acrylics, inks, even oil painting are all easier than water colour.

Bluebell123 Wed 07-Mar-18 17:38:56

Very impressive Yorkshiregel.
I am enjoying a watercolour course called "fast and loose" which is offered on www.udemy.com

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 14:02:39

If you want a magazine that helps as well as educates try the SAA (Society for all Artists)

www.saa.co.uk

They also have a shop where you can buy supplies.....at a discount if you are a member..which I am, but I am off painting at the moment. Lots of challenges and articles, plus competitions. Great fun.

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 13:49:39

Here's one you might like. I love studying people.

Yorkshiregel Tue 06-Mar-18 13:35:43

Tell me about it! I have been off painting for about 2 years now, if you do not count a sketch made last year that is. I just cannot get enthusiastic, especially when I see what others do, instead of inspiring me it puts me off for some reason, except that I know I will never reach those dizzy heights! One day I will get back to it......hopefully!

Greyduster Tue 03-Oct-17 08:35:22

I was determined to start again this year - found a suitable subject, sketched it out, and there it sits, on its board, waiting for me to put paint to paper. I just can't seem to find the enthusiasm now. Painter's block!

Telly Mon 02-Oct-17 21:58:01

Just browsing this thread, and thought I would mention the painting magazines. I have had the Leisure Artist on and off over the years and Start Art seems to be an occasional one that is in the supermarket. They are great to pick up projects so that you can get started. The blank piece of paper can be a bit daunting!

Faye Sat 29-Apr-17 23:18:02

I enjoyed looking at everyone's paintings. I only started painting in 2015 and found water colours hard to do. I started with acrylic and went onto painting in oil where I cam build my painting. The only thing with oils is I have to be patient as it takes longer to dry.

Yorkshiregel you have posted lots of interesting things. Firstly the women impressionists. I have just googled and feel quite sad that in the past women's talent was hardly recognised. I was only telling my sister the other day about Einstein and his first wife and how her contributions weren't recognised.

Secondly you have given some good tips and interesting information. I dream of living nearer to somewhere where I could have some decent lessons. There is so much to learn, the internet has been helpful though.

Yorkshiregel Sat 29-Apr-17 09:24:21

Watercolour for adults and children video:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6qZMbM1ig

Yorkshiregel Sat 29-Apr-17 09:18:02

diannemize.com/product-category/video-supplements/

Look here for FREE colour wheels etc etc. Make sure they are free to download though because some are not.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 29-Apr-17 09:13:03

Thank you Yorkshiregel very informative. I will have a go at some of these as they are a good starting point.