Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Mounting and framing

(19 Posts)
Anniebach Sat 26-Mar-16 09:35:50

Thank you, will look

GillC Sat 26-Mar-16 09:32:19

There are several YouTube videos on this subject. A particular youtuber called TaraC has to excellent videos on how to stretch and frame your cross stitch. She used to work for a framer, so she knows what she is talking about. If you would like to view them, but can't find them let me know and I look them up and you the links.

Elegran Thu 10-Mar-16 19:14:57

Easier to work backwards and choose your embroidery/cross-stitch design to fit a known size of frame!

The Christmas before last DS gave me a picture framing kit (it is very like this one) with a mitre clamp, a saw, and various bits and bobs. So far I have only used it to make an inner frame to fix a rectangle of foamboard to, onto which I have stapled a bit of wool Bargello which needed a strongish base. The mitre clamp means you should get perfect mitres. I must get moving on framing stuff.

Indinana Thu 10-Mar-16 19:07:51

Annie lacing the canvas onto acid-free mounting board is really not difficult at all - I've done it several times. Follow the instructions in Elegran's link, which are very clear, and try it out first on a small project. I'm sure you will be surprised and pleased at how easy it is to do.

The difficult part is finding the right size frame!

NotTooOld Thu 10-Mar-16 18:51:24

And isn't it amazing what a difference framing makes? Even the lowliest art or craft can look professionally done when put in a frame. I've learned to size my paintings to fit the frame, much easier than doing the painting and then hunting for a frame to fit.

aquagran Thu 10-Mar-16 18:33:35

I cut the watercolour paper to fit the mount in IKEA frames. Always look good and modern!

wot Thu 10-Mar-16 17:45:38

I used to dampen my tapestries very lightly (colours can run) then stretch it out over a piece of ply cut to fit inside frame. I pulled it into shape and then stapled it all round, or stitched across. Then I'd put it in frame and use very sticky tape round the edges of frame. Looks a mess from the back but fine from the front and, of course, very cheap to do!

Anniebach Thu 10-Mar-16 17:16:41

Thank you all, I feel positive again, I have seven works to frame and this is why I thought of doing it myself , I will give it a go , I didn't want them glued and lacing seems difficult , I have read of steel pins pressed around the sides of the board, but not stitching to the board , mmmmmm

Elegran Thu 10-Mar-16 15:37:11

If there is plenty of spare fabric round the edge of the design, you can mount it yourself onto a piece of acid-free mounting board. It is not difficult, if you were able to do the embroidery you will be "handy" enough to mount it. Detailed instructions and pictures are here - www.berlinembroidery.com/mountingembroidery.htm

You can buy acid free foam core and card mats online (ebay) - it is easier to cut the foam-board to size than thick board, but if you buy ready cut to the size of your bought frame, you have no cutting to do.

If it is just a small piece of cross-stitch, and you don't mind it not having glass over it, you can buy flexihoops on ebay too.

Tegan Thu 10-Mar-16 15:35:03

Remember that if it's in a sunny position the colours will fade if you don't have special glass.

tiggypiro Thu 10-Mar-16 15:27:37

Framing textiles correctly is expensive so if it sounds cheap it will be and they will have used glue or double sided sellotape both of which will eventually ruin all your hard work.

tiggypiro Thu 10-Mar-16 15:24:35

Anniebach you can do it yourself !
First of all you need to find a frame you like and is of course the right size. You need a piece of mounting board that fits into the frame and also a pre-cut mount to frame your picture. A picture framer will do this for you quite cheaply.
Using a strong sharp needle (and thimble!!) stitch your picture to the mounting board using very small stitches about 2" apart. Try to stretch your picture as you go and make sure you keep it straight. The stitches should be where the mount will cover them.
This stitching part is where the cost of having it done professionally is expensive. I was shown how to do it by a framer when I gave a very sharp intake of breath at how much she would have charged to do it.
I am not saying it is very easy as the mounting board is quite difficult to get a needle through but worth giving it a try and will save a small fortune !

Anniebach Thu 10-Mar-16 13:37:48

Thank you all, best I forget doing it myself , now to find a framer

Greyduster Thu 10-Mar-16 11:08:39

Most picture framers will sell you pre cut mounts. They generally have a range of sizes already cut. Cutting mounts yourself is a pain and you need the proper tools to bevel the edges. I've bought pre cut mounts for several frames I already had. Pictures do look better mounted rather than just put in a frame. It sets them off. I had a very good local man who used to frame my pictures. I trusted his judgement when it came to matching the frame and the mount to the picture. He was always spot on. Unfortunately, he retired and closed his business. sad

BBbevan Thu 10-Mar-16 10:36:10

Yes you can buy frames quite cheaply. But what about cutting the mount and stretching the canvas. Would you be happy to do that Anniebach?

Tegan Thu 10-Mar-16 10:31:10

The picture framer I use is used to me going to him with pictures that I've bought that have frames that seem to be falling apart; it bemuses him that someone could paint a picture and then just put it in an Ikea frame. I took a watercolour in the other day to have special glass put in and he looked at it quite carefully, saying [in a worried way] 'I didn't make this frame did I' [he didn't]. Then, of course you have to somehow stop those horrid little insects getting in. He doesn't charge a great deal and is totally dedicated to his job; we're very lucky to have stumbled across him.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 10-Mar-16 10:18:15

You can buy frames quite cheaply. Why not have a go?

BBbevan Thu 10-Mar-16 10:11:10

I think both mounting and framing are quite specialized and unless you have been taught how to do it you should not attempt it yourself.Do you not have a framing business near you?. At the risk of ruining your precious work go to them.

Anniebach Thu 10-Mar-16 09:59:25

I would love to frame my cross stitching , no idea how too. Anyone give advice please?