Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

1940 knitting patterns

(14 Posts)
westendgirl Wed 20-Apr-16 10:37:08

I have been looking with great admiration, or lets be honest and say downright envy, at the gorgeous jumpers worn by the cast in Home Fires. DCoes anyone know where I could get patterns without having to an absolute fortune. ?

Anniebach Wed 20-Apr-16 10:44:54

That will mean knitting in 3ply westendgirl

Jalima Wed 20-Apr-16 11:31:09

Try ebay or Ravelry?

A friend of mine knitted a baby's lacy shawl in 2 ply!
More patience than me!

Thingmajig Wed 20-Apr-16 11:31:10

Check out Ebay and Etsy for vintage patterns, or hunt around your local charity shops.smile

Indinana Wed 20-Apr-16 11:51:04

I love them too, but my hands can hardly cope with double knit these days, let alone 3 ply shock. And they take so long to knit, I'm not even sure I'd live long enough to see the finished garment grin.
Etsy is a very good source of vintage patterns. In fact I'm sure I've got one or two myself, inherited from my mother's vast supply of patterns (I wish now I'd kept all of them sad). I'll have a rummage round for them later - got to pop out in a minute. If I find them I'll let you know.

westendgirl Wed 20-Apr-16 14:22:03

Thank you all for the tips.

NanaandGrampy Wed 20-Apr-16 17:19:42

You could try these sources :

freevintageknitting.com/

www.thevintageknittinglady.co.uk/aranLadies.html

thevintagepatternfiles.blogspot.co.uk/

I too got rid of all my patterns once my girls had grown up and now have to buy them for every single thing I want to knit and they are soooo expensive now .

Good luck with your search and if you do go ahead, do come back and share the end result please smile

Auntieflo Wed 20-Apr-16 17:59:08

Could you try some charity shops? A couple of local ones sometimes have them.

Nanabelle Thu 21-Apr-16 00:17:16

I saw a few of these old patterns and the sizes only went up to a 34" - 36" chest!

Jalima Thu 21-Apr-16 10:59:32

A result of rationing no doubt.

Nonnie Thu 21-Apr-16 11:25:13

Jalima do we know each other? I make 2 ply shawls for first babies. I have patterns which cost 1/-! Love them, so delicate and pretty but I do make them in machine washable yarn.

harrigran Thu 21-Apr-16 11:54:27

I used to have a lovely book with lots of 40s patterns, I have just searched through my bookcases and can't find it, what a shame as the jumpers were lovely.

SueDonim Thu 21-Apr-16 18:57:53

I have a couple of old books from my mum with patterns for ladies and the chaps in them.

Jalima Thu 21-Apr-16 19:05:12

Nonnie it wasn't me who made the 2 ply shawl (although I may have a pattern inherited from DM or MIL)
I am too impatient.
It was a friend who knitted one - she sent it to a royal baby!

Apparently they should be able to go through a wedding ring