Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

World Wide Kniw in public Day TODAY

(25 Posts)
NanaandGrampy Sat 18-Jun-16 09:40:58

Apparently , ....

This annual event started back in 2005 and is a fantastic way for knitters (and crocheters!) to get together and share their skills and with those that would like to learn. Each event is run by local knitters to if you can't find any KIP's (Knit in Public) events in your area, why not get a group of your friends and start your own.

Shame I only knew today !! I see myself as a Ninja stealth knitter.... sneaking out in cover of darkness to knit a bench or something smile

Is anyone, taking part in an outside knitting event??

Alea Sat 18-Jun-16 09:42:56

confused Couldn't even pronounce your thread title, but it is a cunning plan to get people to read the posts!

NanaandGrampy Sat 18-Jun-16 09:46:00

Alea ...smacks myself in the head !!!!!!! Why do I never learn to check ?????

I would sell my soul for the ability to edit !!!

I blame my wireless keyboard ...the batteries are running down and I'm sure 99% of the time it types what it wants smile

KNIT KNIT
KNIT

ARGH !!!!

Greyduster Sat 18-Jun-16 10:36:03

I haven't heard of it here NanaandGrampy - I'm trying to organise my own personal indoor knitting event - I started a cardigan before Christmas and was bored stiff with it even before I finished the back!! Must have another go at it hmm.

NanaandGrampy Sat 18-Jun-16 11:02:05

smile I have decided Greyduster only to knit cardigans for under 5s :-) smaller the better !!

Greyduster Sat 18-Jun-16 11:14:03

I use to love knitting for my grandson, but alas, now, if I asked him to wear something hand knitted he would run a mile!

NanaandGrampy Sat 18-Jun-16 14:35:06

smile I remember my Mum Greyduster who knitted all her grandchildren cardigans and sweaters until that fateful day where my daughter aged about 11 asked for a shop bought sweater for school.

I think my Mum was sad with the passing of time as they had been thrilled to request a sweater with a particular picture on and my Mum would magically produce it. And one by one they stopped asking.

rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 15:18:43

My Mother had very little time for knitting, but even so once set out to knit me a lovely yellow jumper, it took ages to be done and I was excited to wear it.....it was skin tight as I had already outgrown it!

rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 15:20:23

Do you remember the craze for knitted cardigans/ jackets with pics of eagles, cats etc knitted into them in a different colour?

rosesarered Sat 18-Jun-16 15:20:55

In the 1960's.

Greyduster Sat 18-Jun-16 15:29:10

My sister had patterns and used to knit them for her boys with footballers, spacemen and all sorts of things on them. I looked for these vintage patterns when my GS's was small but couldn't find any. I was once asked by a friend if I would knit her a tank top (in the seventies!) that she had a pattern for. It was her sign of the zodiac - a crab - and it came out okay, but that's the only one I've ever done. I remember it being a bit of a pain at the time!

annodomini Sat 18-Jun-16 16:21:54

My Mum was good with Shetland type knitting and made lovely jumpers with Shetland yokes for my two sons when they were little. They looked very sweet in them but - specially DS2 - hated the itchiness of the wool. I had to bribe them to wear the jumpers for a photograph so that granny could see them. She was quite quick to take offence! I knitted red school v-necks for two GC but some idiot (DS?) put them in too hot a wash and they were never the same again. That was when I gave up!

BBbevan Sun 19-Jun-16 04:53:38

I just love Kniwing. I do it all the time in public and in private grin
My auntie knitted fair isle jumpers. She never seemed to look at what she was doing. It was amazing to me when a child

NanaandGrampy Sun 19-Jun-16 09:18:00

[grin} BBbevan

Mildred Sun 19-Jun-16 09:32:30

My Mum too was good at Fair Isle patterns, but took to Lochinvar wool (which was multi coloured and gave a fair isle effect) because it was quicker and easier but it did not look as good as the original. Remember when Bri Nylon came out brilliant
White and shocking pink.

Jalima Sun 19-Jun-16 09:48:06

I didn't know about it and am going out today - it's Father's Day! Shall I take my knitting, can I walk, talk and concentrate on a cable pattern at the same time?
Perhaps not. grin

Sweaters with pictures were popular in the 1970s and 1980s, I knitted a few for the DC.
Trains, footballs, horses - with manes, Postman Pat etc!

Jalima Sun 19-Jun-16 09:48:58

Sirdar baby Crofter gives a good effect

Greyduster Sun 19-Jun-16 10:06:29

I love cabling. I used to make cabled cricket sweaters for DS when he was at school. It would have been a lot less time and effort to buy them, but I could knit his school colours into the neckline and he liked that. The cardigan I am struggling to get motivated with at the moment has cables, but not too many fortunately.

Gagagran Sun 19-Jun-16 10:16:14

Before the dreaded "arfuritis" got my thumbs I used to do Aran jumpers and even hats and gloves for my DC. They were very popular in the 70s and 80s but you seldom see them these days.

I knitted from aged 12 when I completed my first cardigan and over the years did a lot of jumpers and knitted toys. I remember a big multi-coloured "Humpty" I made for DC and DS's favourite special bedtime toy was "Floppy boy" a rabbit I made for him with a very unplanned narrow neck. (which gave him a very floppy head!). I still have that tucked away in my treasures.

Jalima Tue 21-Jun-16 10:58:01

I am knitting waistcoats (a very modern pattern for little girls although it sounds old-fashioned!)
They have some cabling but I don't have to knit any sleeves thank goodness, or sew them in.
It is still taking me ages, and I have to pick up all the way round the front and back of neck in one.

tiggypiro Tue 21-Jun-16 13:21:22

Thirsk yarnbombers did a brilliant job decorating Thirsk for the Tour of Yorkshire bike race a few weeks ago. Well worth a look and if you do go to the Tourist info to get a map of where everything is and make sure you check out the shop door handles (even the derelict looking one !) It is being kept for the rest of the summer.
I was not one of the gang of knitters !!

Greyduster Wed 22-Jun-16 12:11:47

I was spurred on by this thread to resurrect the aforementioned evil cardigan. God, I wish I hadn't. By the time I have finished the back, this thing will be long enough to double as a dressing gown I reckon. The tension is right but I think the pattern must be for very tall people - not those who are vertically (spell checker changed that to 'erotically'! confused) challenged people like me! (Will now go away and think about whether I am erotically challenged!!!)

NanaandGrampy Wed 22-Jun-16 13:04:17

You have to love a spellchecker greyduster !!

Let us know what conclusion you come to smile

Greyduster Wed 22-Jun-16 19:25:39

I ran it past DH..... And he says not! smile

Elrel Thu 23-Jun-16 19:19:00

We have a Granny-knit fish patterned picture sweater my co-grandmother made for our first GS 15 years ago. He and both his brothers enjoyed wearing it and their 5 year old cousin now loves it too!