Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Tunisian crochet.

(8 Posts)
Flossieturner Sun 07-Aug-16 19:19:53

I have had to give up knitting and crochet so you are welcome to have my Tunisian crochet hooks. I have three. PM me your address if you would like me to post them to you.

Jalima Sun 07-Aug-16 16:37:31

I suppose it could be like using a circular needle for knitting instead of the straight pins?

Jalima Sun 07-Aug-16 16:36:04

Hobbycraft sometimes do courses, I am not sure if they would put one on if enough people were interested, if there is a shop near you.

I cannot crochet although i have tried many times, but if it is more like knitting perhaps I'll have a go!

hildajenniJ Sun 07-Aug-16 15:58:32

Can't ask in my local wool shop as that recently closed. sad I'm tempted by the flexible hooks as they are nice and long. I want to make a blanket using entrelac Tunisian crochet, but with larger squares than the YouTube video shows.

Mildred Sun 07-Aug-16 11:10:25

I tried it in the 70s the one thing I remember is that it can produce a very rigid cloth so if that is happening use a bigger needle to loosen it up. A lady in my quilting group made a beautiful cushion using a wool that was variegated in colour soft heather shades.was tempted to try it again.

Liz46 Sun 07-Aug-16 10:35:09

I volunteer in a charity shop and two of the customers were raving about Tunisian crochet. They go to a group which meets in our local boat museum. Perhaps you could see if there are any groups near you that you could join. Your wool shop may be a good place to enquire.

Lisalou Sun 07-Aug-16 09:15:27

Mmmm, had never seen this before so utubed. Dont know that it does anything for me. Looks like adapting crochet to knitting technique and i am not into knitting.
Sorry I am not much help, am I? Good luck with it, and hope to see your new hobby giving you much pleasure! Please show us your efforts when you have mastered it.

hildajenniJ Fri 05-Aug-16 16:55:54

I am wanting to try my hand at Tunisian crochet, having been inspired by a YouTube video tutorial. I am undecided as to which hooks/needles to try. Have any experienced Tunisian crocheters got any tips? I'm thinking of buying flexible plastic ones, but haven't used anything like them before. I like the look of these help me please