Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Knitting for charity

(14 Posts)
grannymouse303 Tue 20-Sep-16 14:05:18

Does anyone knit for charity? Can you recommend some good projects to get involved in? I'm still getting the hang of knitting and I'd like something to focus on!

grannymouse303 Tue 20-Sep-16 14:08:10

Oops, I just saw that there's already a thread for this! Feel free to answer my query here anyway!

shysal Tue 20-Sep-16 14:20:28

If you are a beginner, what could be simpler than tiny bobble hats for Innocent Smoothie bottles?
www.ageuk.org.uk/get-involved/events-and-challenges/the-big-knit/

Nonnie Tue 20-Sep-16 15:09:56

Is there a Knit and Natter group in your area? They will know of any local projects. Get to know your knitting shop they are usually very friendly and helpful.

Experienced knitters who are looking for something might like to do as I do. When a non-knitter goes into our lovely wool shop and asks if they know anyone who will knit for them they give them my number. I agree to do it and avoid the awful money question by telling them I won't charge but if they would like to make a donation to one of the two local hospices that will suffice. Sometimes they give me the money and I gift aid it to the charity.

Soupy Tue 20-Sep-16 16:22:20

Hi grannymouse
I knit for charity via the Fish and Chip Babies group on Facebook then post them off when ready. They have online patterns but especially appreciate the long sleeved baby jumpers as there is call for them abroad.
I can send you more info if needed.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Sep-16 16:40:43

Those little bobble hats are probably about my level, shysal! I've never been much of a knitter, but I've printed off the two most basic patterns, as I often think it'd be good to have something productive to do when wasting time goggling at Poldark the telly.

Maggiemaybe Tue 20-Sep-16 16:42:16

I used to be pretty good at smocking, which would keep my hands busy, but can't put it to any use having been blessed with three strapping grandsons!

Lisalou Thu 22-Sep-16 07:27:51

I know a lot of neonatal clinics and hospitals with neonatal units need tiny blankets for premature babies. Maybe contact local hospitals and ask?
Another thing which is sad, but helps so many people is knitting for SANDS. It is a charity which provides blankets for babies who are stillborn. It is a very sad cause, but i gather gives families a great deal of support. Their blankets are easy to make, i am told.

Marelli Thu 22-Sep-16 08:17:38

I knit hats and scarves for the Seafarers' Mission, Grannymouse. I pick up odd balls of wool from charity shops, or sometimes eBay. If you look online for Seafarers' Mission you'll be able to download and print a pattern. You don't need to be an experienced knitter, because the patterns for the hats are really simple and it's great just sitting knitting a 60" scarf - especially a stripy one! When you've got a bundle together, you send them down to London, post-free. smile

Izabella Thu 22-Sep-16 10:01:15

Dog and cat charities will always welcome warm blankets and they are simple to make

grannymouse303 Mon 24-Oct-16 20:09:41

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

F1nlayel01se Tue 01-Nov-16 21:02:09

There are several charities who like to receive squares for blankets. There is a great forum for all things to do with knitting/crochet and sewing for charity. It is called Loving Hands. Just type it into your search engine. They are a very friendly group and very helpful.

Sheena Tue 01-Nov-16 21:54:49

Hi I knit squares for blankets for the homeless this is their web page
blanketforthehomeless.weebly.com/

and also a face book page

www.facebook.com/blanketsforthehomelesspeople/?fref=ts

... we send made up squares to Jayne and she has people who will sew them together and then distribute the made up blankets.

I also knit greyhound coats (I call them greyhound dressing gowns ! ) for greyhounds in need www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/topFrame.htm?http&&&www.greyhoundsinneed.co.uk/

the coats are sent to Spain and shared out with rescues there for the galgos (Spanish greyhounds)as the nights get jolly cold out there and the dogs often have no real shelter. The pattern on the web page is so easy and I love doing them

Good luck with your knitting

Anniebach Tue 01-Nov-16 22:10:34

I have been knitting for orphanages in Romania since the eighties, so many charities need knitters