Gransnet forums

Arts & crafts

Help needed to knit a larger size of baby pattern

(16 Posts)
Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 14:27:32

Hi everyone, I'm hoping that someone on here has the expertise to advise me on enlarging a pattern. I've knitted it for my grandson and it is such a favourite that my DIL has asked that I knit a larger version - he is nearly 3 so I would need a toddler size.

I'm not experienced enough to do it and the best idea I can come up with is to use larger needles!? But I think it should be fairly easy to do (if you know what you're doing that is), the pattern is very simple, here's the link to it:

www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-pink-garter-stitch-cardigan

If anyone can help, I will PM the PDF to you,

Thanks in anticipation!

P.S. the reason it is so much-loved is because the batwing sleeves make it so easy for dressing little ones, it's nice and roomy and comfy. I knitted it in pale grey.

Indinana Thu 17-Nov-16 14:41:55

You would need to completely redraft the pattern. The largest size is 20" chest. If, say, you now need a 24", then you need to add an inch each side of the front and each side of the back. Do a test square to see how many stitches you knit to the inch, then add this number each side, front and back. Bear in mind you will also need to make it longer, but that should be relatively easy to calculate by just measuring the child.
You will also have to work a few extra stitches into the neck shaping. Probably best if you draw the whole thing on a piece of graph paper (but remembering, of course, that knitted stitches aren't exactly square, so the finished draft on graph paper won't necessarily like in proportion).
And then, of course, you will have to adjust the sleeves accordingly.
Of course, you could always take a chance and knit the whole thing using, say, Aran yarn or even chunky knit with the appropriate size needles. Just follow the pattern exactly, adjusting the length where necessary.

Indinana Thu 17-Nov-16 14:46:05

...won't necessarily look in proportion

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:01:14

You will have to work out stitches per inch and increase accordingly.

As it's in different sizes you could use the number of stitches per size as a guide and use a chart or write out your own pattern.

I once knitted a cardigan for DGD by using bits from 3 different patterns, but I had to work it out and write it all down first.
It worked out fine but I don't think I'd do it again.

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:30:10

This one's not quite the same but goes up to age 2 and looks quite unisex!
www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ribbed-baby-jacket

Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 15:35:43

Thanks for the suggestions. I may try the thicker wool and bigger needles for starters. smile

Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 15:36:17

I like that jalima I shall check it out.

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:43:23

You could perhaps not do the collar if you don't like it.

I have just knitted waistcoats with a similar neckline, you could choose either a shawl collar or just a wide ribbed edging.

Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 15:48:47

Ooh the waistcoat sounds lovely. Is it a Ravelry pattern?

I'm just finishing this lovely boy:

www.knitrowan.com/designs-and-patterns/patterns/teddy-bear

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:56:03

It's a Sirdar pattern, friend has borrowed it now and I can't remember the number and can't find it on their website.

It was a girls' pattern though.
www.johnlewis.com/sirdar-supersoft-aran-leaflet-2409/p955117?sku=232868846&s_kwcid=2dx92700013398637334&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=CPX07reTsNACFdS4GwodqnoK9w&gclsrc=aw.ds

I must remember to call it a 'gilet'

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 15:56:48

Teddy is very cute!!

Indinana Thu 17-Nov-16 15:58:46

Oh I'm so jealous! I used to knit such a lot, especially in the winter months, but in the last 4 or 5 months I've developed osteoarthritis in my hands, coupled with carpal tunnel syndrome which means my hands go numb when held in the knitting position. So I've had to give up knitting and crochet altogether sad

Jalima Thu 17-Nov-16 16:00:19

That's sad Indinana
After DM had strokes she used to say 'I'd be happy if I could still knit' sad

Indinana Thu 17-Nov-16 16:15:48

I know how she felt. I never thought I'd miss it so much, but I sit watching TV on the long winter evenings and my hands are idle in my lap. It's hard getting used to it.
I'm thinking of getting a knitting machine, then at least I'll be able to make knitted things. Still won't be able to do it while watching TV though!

Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 16:31:59

Teddy is cute Jalima. I've never knitted a toy before and the hardest part was putting a face on him. Every time I did, he ended up looking cross, or sad or just plain odd. I finally got him to smile!

Grannyknot Thu 17-Nov-16 16:32:56

Meant to say thanks for the gilet pattern link.